Best glue?

Forum for general cruising topics
Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Best glue?

Postby Nick » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:39 am

For gluing together a broken teak grabrail (external)?
- Nick 8)

Shuggy
Old Salt
Boat Type: Nic 43

Re: Best glue?

Postby Shuggy » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:30 am

I find gorilla glue to be fantastic in sticking wood together but I haven't tried it on teak; I used it in my deck rebuild on marine ply. It's expensive, so I can bring you some in a small pot in a couple of weeks. Others may (will) be wiser than me on these matters...
---
Shuggy

Pete Cooper
Old Salt
Boat Type: Micro Gem 550 Super Yacht

Postby Pete Cooper » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:39 am

Just learn to sail so that you don't fall off - then you don't need grabrails.

Nick
Admiral of the Blue

Postby Nick » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:30 pm

The plan is to cut the broken bit off flush and glue a new piece of teak on. The wee picture below shows the general plan, the red bit being the glue.

A great big screw then goes up from below across the glued join almost to the top of the rail.

It needs to be pretty strong because I tend to brace against it when wrestling with the mainsail on the coachroof in a lumpy sea. That's when it broke - quite alarming . . . but it had already been weakened, the design is strong enough. I just nees the glue join to be as strong as if it was a solid piece of teak.

- Nick 8)

Clyde_Wanderer
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Hummingbird 30

Postby Clyde_Wanderer » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:36 pm

Nick, I agree with Hardy, Epoxy, I could have sent you some in a wee bottle too if you had mentioned it before, but can still do, or infact we are going up that way either this wk end or the wk end after the SB cruise.
Is there a screw up through the coach roof into the peice you are replacing? if so, I would suggest replacing it with a s/s or brass machine screw all the way down through from the top and fit a teak plug over the screw head at the top, if it does split again at the repair joint then it wil be at least held together in a fashion.
Probably could have given you enough to make a new grab rail depending on the length of it.
C_W
PS Nick reading your last reply again have to disagree the design isent strong enough, unless the present fastner passes all the way through, look at the way the grain is running, would be strong enough with aforementioned machine screw down through the middle and a nut/washer inside c roof.

Nick
Admiral of the Blue

Postby Nick » Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:59 am

Panic ye not Eamonn,

A 5.5 x 100mm sbrass screw passes through both pieces.

Have bought some 2-part epoxy that syas it is rated to 2,500lb/sq. in
- Nick 8)

Gordonmc
Master Mariner

Postby Gordonmc » Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:24 am

I had a grabrail break and did the repair with Araldite. It was mahogany, though and I guess teak would need de-oiled with acetone or summink.
It had a few coats of Le Tonk and the repair has stood up to four years of me hanging off the rail so UV hasn't been a problem.

Return to “Shooting the breeze”