It flies! BlueMoment burgee in Puilladobhrain

Forum for general cruising topics
cpedw
Old Salt
Boat Type: Nordship 35DS

Re: It flies! BlueMoment burgee in Puilladobhrain

Postby cpedw » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:48 pm

Clyde_Wanderer wrote:Anyone, (except Falkirk Dan :) ), got some tips for tieing on the BM burgee?

I spent much of this weekend studying the problem. I offer this suggestion and hope the explanation is understandable.
1. Take a free end of the burgee halyard and measure a fair bit more than 2 burgee hoist lengths from the free end.
2. Tie 2 loops (e.g. using figure of 8 on the bight) a bit less than 1 burgee hoist length apart.
3. Push each loop through a burgee cringle.
4. Feed the free end through the lower loop on the side of the burgee opposite the halyard.
5. Tie a loop in the free end through the other loop that's coming through the upper cringle in the burgee, perhaps using a bowline.
6. Tie the other end of the burgee halyard (the end that's unused up to now) to the bottom of the loop hanging below the burgee (a sheetbend is one choice).
7. That's about it. Pull on the right bit of string and the burgee will rise.
Once it's set up, you only need to undo the bowline to remove the treasured burgee for safekeeping. It's also a handy knotting exercise if you have a crew member in need of training.
Derek

Falkirkdan
Master Mariner
Boat Type: snapdragon 24

Re: It flies! BlueMoment burgee in Puilladobhrain

Postby Falkirkdan » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:54 pm

Clyde_Wanderer wrote:Anyone, (except Falkirk Dan :) ), got some tips for tieing on the BM burgee?

I must make it totally and utterly clear that I was not the culprit who did not secure the BM burgee to BBH which is now at the bottom of Loch Fyne (the burgee that is). :lol: :lol:

Hope the BM Burgee is not like the KCC burgee which is so stiff most members keep it as an emergency rudder.

Return to “Shooting the breeze”