Gordon Brown - Geography lesson?

Forum for general cruising topics
DaveS
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Seastream 34

Re: Gordon Brown - Geography lesson?

Postby DaveS » Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:18 pm

Having never had any interest in JG or any other "famous for being famous" celebs, I certainly did not watch the funeral - didn't even know it was today.

I do remember the announcement of Princess Di's death. My pal Sandy and I were blearily listening for the 0540ish shipping forecast. Suddenly, solemn music and "Buckingham Palace makes the following announcement..." We both immediately though, "Oh, that'll be the Queen Mum." But, of course it wasn't. After the announcement, our conversation went, "Well, Di's deid, then." "Aye, seems so." And we went back to sleep.

jim.r
SWS
Boat Type: Moody S38

Postby jim.r » Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:56 pm

i found the response to Di's death quite extraordinary. My firdt reacton was "Jeez they've knocked the tart off!" and I was'nt too surprised really considering what a nuisance and loose cannon she was becoming.

The public response IMHO was orchestrated by one or two people in the media who found a rich vein of sentiment to exploit .. that of people mourning their own mortality

Clyde_Wanderer
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Hummingbird 30

Postby Clyde_Wanderer » Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:28 pm

jim.r wrote:i found the response to Di's death quite extraordinary. My firdt reacton was "Jeez they've knocked the tart off!" and I was'nt too surprised really considering what a nuisance and loose cannon she was becoming.

Jim, that's exactly how the bloody queen must have sounded when she heard the news too, money sucking gets, the whole lot of them.

DaveS
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Seastream 34

Postby DaveS » Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:47 pm

In fact the real gist of the story was "rich bitch (not wearing seat belt) dies in car crash".

I found the orchestrated emotional blackmail over the following week or two rather frightening: it was the nearest attempt at mass thought control that I've ever seen. While I continued to think throughout, "What's all the fuss about?", there was a distinct feeling that voicing such thoughts would definitely not be welcome.

sam
Master Mariner

Re: Jade, Queen of Hearts

Postby sam » Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:52 am

hardy wrote:
Nick wrote:
As for Jade, she, was after all, our new "Queen of Hearts", was loved and admired by millions and was a good role model for others

Anyone who watched the coverage of Jade's emotional and flower strewn funeral procession today would realise how loved and admired she was. It reminded me of Princess Di's funeral. A very moving occassion today.
Bless you Jade

Hardy, please tell me you're pulling our legs and your tongue is firmly stuck in your cheek. :?:

little boy blue
Old Salt

Re: Jade, Queen of Hearts

Postby little boy blue » Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:55 pm

sam wrote: ...... Hardy, please tell me you're pulling our legs and your tongue is firmly stuck in your cheek. :?:

i`m not sure where his tongue is, but i have a good idea what he is pulling and where his nose is ( and what colour it is ). :roll: :)

spuddy
Master Mariner

Postby spuddy » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:56 pm

I, too, scratched my head and wondered "why" over all the fuss about these two young women. Their obsession with getting attention seemed to be something like a neurological disorder. Maybe there's a cyclical mourning compulsion that afflicts the more gullible tabloid readers and fastens on to some poor unfortunate every......what, 10 years say.

sam
Master Mariner

Postby sam » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:35 pm

Did this thread start on the 1st of April?

Return to “Shooting the breeze”