Burgee RIP

Forum for general cruising topics
So_Sage_of_Lorne
Old Salt

Burgee RIP

Postby So_Sage_of_Lorne » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:21 am

It is with the deepest regret that I must report the loss at sea of a BM burgee.

It was blown away into the blue which brings into question the statement that it was "Guaranteed to fly for two years".
I watched it land after a very short flight and then sink below the surface. At the time, I was rather occupied pulling down the second reef with the wind gusting to 40kts, regrettably, there was no opportunity to attempt a recovery. Interestingly our CCC burgee remained in place and survived the trip to Croabh.
I will not stay young forever but, I can be immature for the rest of my day's!

claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Re: Burgee RIP

Postby claymore » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:24 am

I believe that you are still within the period where your cash will be returned under the Sale of Faulty, Non-Floating Burgees Act 2009

It was opportune that you are able to comment regarding the CCC model as this is proof that the prevailing conditions were not excessive and so the precedent has been set.

I wish you well but should you need further advice or guidance and indeed representation at the Office of the Procurator Fiscal, I would be only to happy to take on the case.
No win no fee of course. Don't worry about the fee - we'd get damages awarded anyway. Perhaps you could in the meantime consider the levels of grief you are currently suffering regarding your loss and the sort of sum that might alleviate the same. (Think 5 figures here)
I am Sir, on behalf of Hunt, Lunt and Cunningham
Your obediant servant
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Postby Nick » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:27 am

Oh dear!

Could you please fill out a full report on the incident, in particular specifying which part of the burgee failed. This is necessary in order for our warranty department to be able to authorise a free replacement.
- Nick 8)

claymore
Admiral of the Green

Postby claymore » Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:11 pm

Dear Sir
In the case of So-Sage V Blue Moment (Burgee Sales) I have been appointed to represent the complainant.

My client would be happy to furnish these details if you are prepared to fund the cost of a Diver to investigate the area - full and precise Lat Long details will be provided.
However, in the circumstances, my Client does not wish for you to incur such costs and would prefer that you dispatch one of the ones which you have not yet sold to him, as soon as is convenient.
My Client has also suggested that if you were to deliver this in person at a prearranged time to Croabh Haven - he would insist on rewarding your efforts at good customer service with a reasonable quantity of Pipers Gold.
It is our experience that these issues are best settled out of court. It certainly would mean a reduced cost to yourself and of course any adverse publicity might harm your reputation - which I am sure you would wish to avoid.
A Mr Shard - on reading my clients original report has furnished us with some specific details regarding yourself and a rather embarrasing incident involving a vaginal douche, a pedigree cheviot ewe and the post office van
I look forward to your timely response
Abraham Smallpiece
Hunt, Lunt and Cunningham.
Regards
Claymore

Macwester28
Able Seaman

Postby Macwester28 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:37 pm

Damn, when mine arrived i was hoping to use it as a trysail going round Ushant.

Better await the post Morten before rigging it :violin:
To have a boat is better whatever the size and condition is than to not,

So_Sage_of_Lorne
Old Salt

Postby So_Sage_of_Lorne » Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:37 pm

Macwester28 wrote:Damn, when mine arrived i was hoping to use it as a trysail going round Ushant.

Better await the post Morten before rigging it :violin:

I am advised by my learned friend Abe Codpiece that to divulge further details at this time could prejudice my warranty claim however, I am of the belief that Highland Park may have been a contributory factor and I will seek further advice regarding involving them in any claim.

little boy blue
Old Salt

Postby little boy blue » Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:55 pm

claymore wrote: .......... Hunt, Lunt and Cunningham.

how chic k :D

Windfinder
Master Mariner

Postby Windfinder » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:51 pm

claymore wrote:full and precise Lat Long details will be provided.
Abraham Smallpiece

I don't have your legal training Mr Smallpiece but if your client knows the precise Lat Long then surely the aforesaid item is not lost and your client has no claim against Nick?

:?:

claymore
Admiral of the Green

Postby claymore » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:08 pm

Whilst on a technicality, you have a point - I'm afraid that you need to consider the issue in a three dimensional aspect. that way you would be including the several meters of water that separate my client from the item from which he has become separated.
You have a keen mind though Sir and my company is always on the lookout for the type of prodigious talent you have displayed.
Could we meet to discuss what I think could become a lucrative career for your good self?
A Smallpiece
HL &C - not the largest legal firm but we believe a fekking sight better than those robbing bastardingtons at Freeman, Hardy and Willis
Regards
Claymore

Windfinder
Master Mariner

Postby Windfinder » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:15 pm

claymore wrote:my company is always on the lookout for the type of prodigious talent you have displayed.

I have much talent on the dance floor, a surfeit of talent with the ladies and talent as a witty raconteur. Legal talent, I fear I lack!

:lol:

Freeman, Hardy and Willis

A law firm that has sole!

Clyde_Wanderer
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Hummingbird 30

Postby Clyde_Wanderer » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:17 pm

So_Sage_of_Lorne wrote:It is with the deepest regret that I must report the loss at sea of a BM burgee.

It was blown away into the blue which brings into question the statement that it was "Guaranteed to fly for two years".
I watched it land after a very short flight and then sink below the surface. At the time, I was rather occupied pulling down the second reef with the wind gusting to 40kts, regrettably, there was no opportunity to attempt a recovery. Interestingly our CCC burgee remained in place and survived the trip to Croabh.

Sounds like Danny has been up to his mischief again, maybe revenge for the SB cruise gatecrashing their wee party at Portavadie last year? "OH Danny" :lol: :lol: :lol:
Apart, hope he got BBH up there ok.

So_Sage_of_Lorne
Old Salt

Postby So_Sage_of_Lorne » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:13 am

Sounds like Danny has been up to his mischief again, maybe revenge for the SB cruise gatecrashing their wee party at Portavadie last year? "OH Danny" :lol: :lol: :lol:
Apart, hope he got BBH up there ok.[/quote]

Interesting, how did you know that Danny was aboard?

He fitted the requirement of hand for this trip as:

A) He is master of his own time.

B) He makes decent and frequent cups of tea.

C) He can remember the recipe for Bacon Sandwiches.

We, my brother, Danny and I successfully completed the trip on Tuesday, the only hitch being the loss of the burgee and the disappointment of not going round the M of K due to increasingly strong Southwesterlies on Sunday. We can report that the Crinan is in full working order and the staff were as usual most helpful. :)

Clyde_Wanderer
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Hummingbird 30

Postby Clyde_Wanderer » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:38 pm

SSOL a wee birdie told me he was going along.
Aye I have yet to have a cup o Tea of him, but did hear that he stews a good brew.
Hoping to see him on the 24th at the Cumbrae centre, what about yourself will you be present?
Hummingbird went in today, and hopefully will be going down river on sat, so I should be in time for the meet up this year.
C_W

aquaplane
Admiral of the White Rose
Boat Type: Jeanneau Espace

Postby aquaplane » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:15 am

Where is Hummingbird? Seminole went in today and I'm informed will be going down river from Dumbarton on Saturday once the sails are bent on tomorrow.

Knowing me dad it'll be Dumbarton to Tarbert without passing GO or collecting £200, I did tell him Rothesay is open for business but it may have fallen on stoney ground.
Seminole.
Cheers Bob.

So_Sage_of_Lorne
Old Salt

Postby So_Sage_of_Lorne » Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:11 am

[quote="Clyde_Wanderer.

Hoping to see him on the 24th at the Cumbrae centre, what about yourself will you be present?
Hummingbird went in today, and hopefully will be going down river on sat, so I should be in time for the meet up this year.
C_W[/quote]

As BBH is now berthed at Croabh, it is unlikely that we will be there but, you never know!

Return to “Shooting the breeze”