Are you methodical when re-fitting?

Forum for general cruising topics
claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Are you methodical when re-fitting?

Postby claymore » Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:54 pm

I'm not.

Have fallen into the trap of having a number of jobs on the list. Started out with every good intention of starting and completing one before moving to the next. The road to hell is indeed paved with good intentions and as I've thought to myself - "I'll just have a fiddle with this whilst I'm waiting for that" combined with my concentration span which is often overshadowed by gnats with severe learning difficulties - I have created mayhem. There isn't a single area on the boat resembling order or with an end in sight and now Dear Heart has declared that my allocation of boat time has expired and I am required on gardening duties and other domestically focussed chores - I'm feeling slightly perplexed but mostly bolloxed.
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

puddock
Old Salt
Boat Type: Westerly Storm 33

Re: Are you methodical when re-fitting?

Postby puddock » Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:26 pm

Yes I am. Over the winter I have methodically started many jobs on Rosally, ensuring I have a similar list of "jobs to finish" during the season.

Daveanmucker
Master Mariner
Boat Type: victoria 30

Postby Daveanmucker » Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:23 pm

I have to confess that I too have that tendency to be doing several jobs at once, however on the boat I try really hard to discipline myself to finish what I'm doing before moving onto another job, unless of course I'm waiting for bits.

I write a list during the summer months in my maintenance book, then in spring I prioritise and go through the jobs methodically, at least that's the plan.!!!
We can't change the direction of the wind, but we can adjust our sails.

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Postby Nick » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:12 am

I'm jealous.

I had hoped to have at least three major areas/systems on Fairwinds in a state of utter disarray by now but have only succeeded so far in semi-dismantling the mast support system. The plan included having the foredeck torn up by now as well and the coachroof grabrails removed.

On a more positive note, we have managed to remove the cooker, but of course have had no luck in removing the burners - which was the reason for doing it. The old heads is out as well, and the new one is sitting there grinning at me, its outlet pipe just a tad too long.

:chalk: At least I had the foresight to refrain from making up a jobs list this year :hat
- Nick 8)

FullCircle
Old Salt

Postby FullCircle » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:16 pm

Daveanmucker wrote:I have to confess that I too have that tendency to be doing several jobs at once, however on the boat I try really hard to discipline myself to finish what I'm doing before moving onto another job, unless of course I'm waiting for bits.

I write a list during the summer months in my maintenance book, then in spring I prioritise and go through the jobs methodically, at least that's the plan.!!!

I have trained Mrs FC by buying a rubbish boat and making her 1/2 owner, then buying spiffing new boat, but with a list of over 70 jobs from new.
These included all the bits I couldn't afford at delivery, but the list remains at the 70 level, just that routine maintenence has topped up the jobs which were really improvement projects.
She is so used to it now, that she mucks in until we are around the 50 mark, then we can start the season properly. I usually leave some jobs to do at anchor, so it is self perpetuating.
Now if someone will throw me another 10000 quid, I can finish them all. No? Oh, OK.

Clyde_Wanderer
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Hummingbird 30

Postby Clyde_Wanderer » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:20 pm

"Bloody computer" :oops: :oops:
Last edited by Clyde_Wanderer on Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Clyde_Wanderer
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Hummingbird 30

Postby Clyde_Wanderer » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:21 pm

Its best to write the list of jobs in order of urgency on a bog roll starting with the loose end, you cant have your next dump until you have finnished all the jobs on that section of roll, and so on, this way you wont forget to complete the most urgent jobs first. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fingal
Old Salt
Boat Type: Westerly Fulmar 32

Postby Fingal » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:38 pm

I have found a good working rule to be to prioritise jobs that involve holes in the hull, especially those below the waterline. Likewise mast related matters should be dealt with while the mast is resting. I do keep thinking I should tidy up the semi-chaotic drifts of tools, boxes of sandpaper, grease and other asorted boat unguents that prevent me from even sitting down aboard. I need a bigger boat, I think.
Ken
Fulmar 32 Fingal

Alcyone
Old Salt
Boat Type: Cobra 850, Cardiff and Dale

Postby Alcyone » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:47 pm

Border Maid wrote:I have found a good working rule to be to prioritise jobs that involve holes in the hull, especially those below the waterline. Likewise mast related matters should be dealt with while the mast is resting. I do keep thinking I should tidy up the semi-chaotic drifts of tools, boxes of sandpaper, grease and other asorted boat unguents that prevent me from even sitting down aboard. I need a bigger boat, I think.

You have COWS on your boat? No wonder you don't get much done.

ash
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Moody 346

Postby ash » Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:27 pm

Border Maid wrote: unguents

Alcyone wrote: COWS

Ash wrote:?

Is the unguent for the skipper or the boat? Those of us with plastic boats just buy some Oxalic Acid from C_W, but that is definitely for the boat. Maybe wooden boats do need to be rubbed with soothing ointments.

Ash :wink:
"This is a sailing Forum"
Albin Vega "Mistral" is now sold

ljs
Old Salt
Boat Type: Sadler 34

Postby ljs » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:57 pm

I like to keep most of the spring jobs so they can be done on the first cruise of the season, usually end of April. For example, the lights in the forepeak only work intermittently, so whoever ends up there has to sort them out.

sahona
Admiral of the White
Boat Type: Marcon Claymore

Postby sahona » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:21 pm

LJS, a man after my own heart!
We have a nice intermittant leak (or two) lined up for our visitors.
However, the trick is to make sure the correct calibre of guest is chosen early in the season, so that maximum benefit is derived from their stay.
A forum weekend in the very near future fills me with optimism for a very comfortable 2009. :lol: :lol: :lol:
http://trooncruisingclub.org/ 20' - 30' Berths available, Clyde.
Cruising, racing, maintenance facilities. Go take a look, you know you want to.

claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Postby claymore » Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:50 pm

I'll fetch me spanners
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

Gordonmc
Master Mariner

Postby Gordonmc » Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:23 pm

The refit consisted of getting the sails and uphostery back on board on Saturday.
Ferrying that lot plus crew to the mooring in a F5 was interesting. Its remarkable how a full length berth mattress emulates a mainsail on board a 2.5 metre dinghy.
The sails were bent on in short order... its a lot easier with some help in a blow.
The only damage over the winter was a solar panel that blew off its mountings, so apart from cleaning mildew from the hull and deckhead in the forecabin and getting the green off the sprayhood I am set. Unfortunately the aforesaid jobs clashed with the kick off, so it was round to the pub for the bold pair.

ash
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Moody 346

Postby ash » Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:38 pm

sahona wrote:We have a nice intermittant leak (or two) lined up for our visitors.
However, the trick is to make sure the correct calibre of guest is chosen early in the season, so that maximum benefit is derived from their stay.
A forum weekend in the very near future fills me with optimism for a very comfortable 2009. :lol: :lol: :lol:

claymore wrote:I'll fetch me spanners

I'll need to remember to pack a roll of gaffer tape!

Do I need to strip the rubber sheet from the mattress? or just wear my foulies in bed?

Ash :wink: :wink:
"This is a sailing Forum"
Albin Vega "Mistral" is now sold

Return to “Shooting the breeze”