Martin Martin

Forum for general cruising topics
Windfinder
Master Mariner

Martin Martin

Postby Windfinder » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:43 pm

According to Samuel Johnson, Martin Martin in his book, 'often suffered himself to be deceived'. Apparently SJ doesn't rate him at all.

So, Martin Martin. Worth a read?

Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet
Boat Type: Hurley 22

Re: Martin Martin

Postby Silkie » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:55 pm

I haven't read Martin Martin but I wouldn't let Dr. Johnson's opinion put me off anything.

Wasn't it he who said of oats "A grain, which in England is generally given to horses, but in Scotland appears to support the people." :?:

:selfabuse

:)
different colours made of tears

Windfinder
Master Mariner

Postby Windfinder » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:59 pm

Silkie wrote:I haven't read him but I wouldn't let Dr. Johnson's opinion put me off anything. Wasn't it he who said of oats "A grain, which in England is generally given to horses, but in Scotland appears to support the people."?

:selfabuse

:)

I think I read it on here but didn't He point this out to Boswell who replied, "that's why England has fine horses and has Scotland fine men"??? (Although funny, we all know this is incorrect of course, Englishmen are far better than Scotsmen.)

DaveS
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Seastream 34

Postby DaveS » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:31 pm

Bits of Martin Martin are often quoted in guidebooks, etc., but I've never read the original.

As far as Johnson's views on accuracy, ISTR reading that in his famous dictionary he defined "main sheet" as "the largest sail on a vessel"! :lol:

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

John Martin

Postby Nick » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:32 pm

Don't know if he was a relative, but sadly John Martin died today . . .

[youtube]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=LOi_wxypeGc[/youtube]
- Nick 8)

Pete Cooper
Old Salt
Boat Type: Micro Gem 550 Super Yacht

Re: John Martin

Postby Pete Cooper » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:03 am

Nick wrote:.
Don't know if he was a relative, but sadly John Martin died today . . .

[youtube]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=LOi_wxypeGc[/youtube]

I doubt if related - the surname is spelt differently. In memory of John Martyn the musician I played 'Solid Air' in the car this morning - what a fantastic album.

Telo
Admiral of the Red
Boat Type: Vancouver 34 Pilot

Postby Telo » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:56 pm

A Description of the Western Islands of Scotland by Martin Martin is well worth reading, although perhaps not all at one sitting. Like Haswell-Smith's Scottish Islands, might be worthy of a place in the ship's library.

James Thin of Edinburgh published a greatly treasured facsimile copy a few years ago. Unfortunately Thin went into administration and the bookshop and publishing bits were all sold off, but you'll probably locate a copy if you wish. There's a paperback edition at Amazon (HINT HINT Nick).

And of of course, the online edition.

Windfinder
Master Mariner

Postby Windfinder » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:26 pm

Shard wrote:A Description of the Western Islands of Scotland by Martin Martin is well worth reading, although perhaps not all at one sitting. Like Haswell-Smith's Scottish Islands, might be worthy of a place in the ship's library.

James Thin of Edinburgh published a greatly treasured facsimile copy a few years ago. Unfortunately Thin went into administration and the bookshop and publishing bits were all sold off, but you'll probably locate a copy if you wish. There's a paperback edition at Amazon (HINT HINT Nick).

And of of course, the online edition.

Never occured to me the entire thing would be online. Much help. Ta!

FullCircle
Old Salt

Postby FullCircle » Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:37 am

Windfinder wrote:According to Samuel Johnson, Martin Martin in his book, 'often suffered himself to be deceived'. Apparently SJ doesn't rate him at all.

So, Martin Martin. Worth a read?

Well I have been and had a long gander at the online. I think it is well worth a read. I looked particularly at Skye as I lived thereabouts for 6 months, and could recognise a fair bit of his description.

Doesn't seem to mention the restaurants and pubs much. :D

But I will now pop off to Amazon for a tatty copy.

Thanks for the find.

Return to “Shooting the breeze”