Weather Forecast

Forum for general cruising topics
claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Weather Forecast

Postby claymore » Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:50 am

Looking good through from this week right into August.
Can't wait for the weekend.
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

Aja
Old Salt
Boat Type: Moody 346

Re: Weather Forecast

Postby Aja » Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:21 pm

claymore wrote:Looking good through from this week right into August.
Can't wait for the weekend.

Mee too!!!! It was pouring with rain up here saturday night - so it looks as if we've had the wet bit. Roll on the sunny bit.

Aja's waterline has taken a bit of a hit over the last two weekends as more and more gets loaded. Lost count of the reading material Sheena has 'stashed' when I'm not looking. Ha! she thinks I don't know.

I want pleasant southerlies up until 26th July and then gentle Northerlies 'till 5th August...... pleeeease!

Getting excited now!

Donald

claymore
Admiral of the Green

Postby claymore » Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:56 pm

Hmm - if the boat is in cruising trum, we'd have tae consider that when giving a finishing time wid we not? Would you say an hour would be reasonable?
Regards
Claymore

Aja
Old Salt

Postby Aja » Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:25 pm

Claysie

Aja is always in cruising trim. This is what is referred to as holiday trim.

Difference? Ooh about two inches.

Under pressure at the moment - 1st in class 5 overall - but a few good boats always come out for this race.

An hour might come in handy - either that or shorten course to Duart?

Donald

claymore
Admiral of the Green

Postby claymore » Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:56 pm

Shortening course to Duart might be a bit of a sod. I ws thinking that if we are out there on the line and all these boats come in there'll be no moorings left for me so I thought I'd pack a flask and a sandwich and sit out there in the deflating inflatable with my hooter.
Dear Heart you might recall was not exactly consulted when this mission was volunteered for and is still threatening mutiny and having a day's walking leaving me to it. Nae problem says I - how will you get back aboard??? Nae problem says she - did you say that lovely Donald and Sheena were going to be arriving? :?
Regards
Claymore

Aja
Old Salt

Postby Aja » Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:41 pm

Have you considered it may be a long day - and the Mull weather may not be appropriate to sitting in a dinghy for so long.

As we are usually one of the last boats in - we will undoubtably pick you up as we finish.

Assuming you get onto a pontoon - a consideration is to have the dinghy anchored in the bay and use a transit from the pier - or is this getting all too difficult?

Donald

claymore
Admiral of the Green

Postby claymore » Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:49 pm

I wiz jesting!
Plan a is to pick up one of the moorings furthest out where I could get a decent square finish line transiting from the flagpole on the pier - one has to assume that the wind will be blowing straight out of the bay!

If that isn't possible then I'll either anchor - which isn't great as its quite deep around there - but perhaps not far off Calve island may be an option although this would put a hell of a bias on the line

A third option is to moor up to something that might be on a mooring bouy - there's usually a few rather manky looking hulks around there so this may be a short term option

The fourth is to wait and see what its like when we get there ( I'd prefer to go onto a mooring rather than the pontoon to keep hold of a few mair beer tokens)

The fifth option of course is to set up the line in Calve Sound and wait for the fun
Regards
Claymore

Aja
Old Salt

Postby Aja » Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:57 pm

Bias on the finish line will not be important after the lenght of race. It will either be a run or a beat up the Sound so boats will be nipping Calve Is. Last year the committee boat was anchored just off the pier.

I think the important thing is to make yourself obvious to tired sailors coming into the bay that you are indeed the committee vessel. If you remeber last year the heavens opened and it was actually difficult seing anything!

You will have plenty time to partake of some decent cafe & croissant in the Chocolate shop. Ian Thompson will (should) be one of the first boats up anyway (Be Happy - handicap of 9 mins/hour as opposed to us sailing off 17.5 mins/hour).

Ian will probably be in contact by phone to tell you how and where the fleet is.

Donald

claymore
Admiral of the Green

Postby claymore » Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:08 pm

Donald
Thanks for that
The finish line should be at 90 degrees to the true wind and just to add a bit of spice I'll put a 5 degree bias at the Port end

Finishing boats will know where to come to - I've some roundshot being made just now and will load the bow and stern cannon

There will be no rain.

Claymore will be dressed appropriately (the boat not the skipper)
Regards
Claymore

Return to “Shooting the breeze”