A question for Nick

Forum for general cruising topics
Macwester28
Able Seaman

A question for Nick

Postby Macwester28 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:32 pm

Did you ever hear any more from the Solo handed Macwester 28 you met on your travels on Fair Winds.

Am seriously thinking of taking off next year and would love to know if he made any serious mods or how he got on.

Cheers Mike
To have a boat is better whatever the size and condition is than to not,

Windfinder
Master Mariner

Re: A question for Nick

Postby Windfinder » Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:17 pm

Is this like ask Elvis? Can I join in?

Nick, which US presidents feature on Mount Rushmore?

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

No

Postby Nick » Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:44 am

Hi Mike,

No, we never heard any more about Jim, and a search on Google for his supposed forthcoming book title, 'Off The Shelf' , returns nothing significant.

I had no reason to doubt his tales of having sailed his MacWester to Brazil and back however, and would regard it a a solid seaworthy boat, if a litttle slow and not at its best to windward.

Go for it, and please keep us here on BM posted . . .
- Nick 8)

Macwester28
Able Seaman

Thanks

Postby Macwester28 » Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:08 pm

Thanks for that, maybe slow and a little ackward to windward, but as you say seaworthy, have been caught out in poor conditions and she has always kept me and my familly safe.

Will of course keep all informed, and post here often, maybe a southern softy but still went to school in Edinburgh :) therefore spending several years in Scotland.

Anyhow we are not bound by location no more with the internet!

Regards
Mike

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

No North-South divide here - I hope . . .

Postby Nick » Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:33 pm

maybe a southern softy but still went to school in Edinburgh therefore spending several years in Scotland.

It is only by accident that this has come to be seen as a 'Scottish' sailing forum . . . I have to admit that at times I am a little worried that these forums may ber seen as parochial, but I hope this is not the case and would like to see a big increase in the numbers of sailors from other parts on here.

Please do keep us updated regularly if you set off into the blue Mike. :sailing: - I see from your profile you do a bit of webbery, which of course you can keep going on your travels. We ended up beside another web designer taking a year out with his family in Madeira and then met up with them again in the Azores. I have fond memories of sitting on the boat in shorts in a Canarian marina using a borrowed WiFI conmnection to chat to UK clients on Skype who did not even realise that I was not at my desk in wintery Argyll.
- Nick 8)

Macwester28
Able Seaman

Webbery

Postby Macwester28 » Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:04 pm

The one thing that has accelerated my plans is the netabord system now being used in my home berth in France.

Covers most harbours from Calais to Bordeaux, which makes life a lot easier, to stay in touch and keep the coffers topped up.

Last month with the boat out for repairs i was over 3/4 kilometer from the router yet still could connect at good speeds, enough for both up and downloading. Mind you the new "N" series wifi appears to give way better range and speed. Changing from qwerty to azerty is q pain, keep getting my q's and a's messed up.

With the current economic climate here, the building work has dried up, but hopefully another couple of friends/clients for the web stuff will surface.

TOP has become quite unpleasant after a quick read and has always been seen as "solent" the other other place is dead as a dodo!!!!
Regards Mike

Return to “Shooting the breeze”