Island Man Rockall Expedition 2009

Forum for general cruising topics
Alcyone
Old Salt
Boat Type: Cobra 850, Cardiff and Dale

Postby Alcyone » Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:36 pm

There used to be a big sailing vessel doing the St Kilda trips out of Oban - The Jean de la Lune? I haven't seen it for some years, mind.

Daveanmucker
Master Mariner
Boat Type: victoria 30

Postby Daveanmucker » Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:34 pm

Would have thought that the best bet would be chartering one of the converted fishing boats that operate from Oban or Tobermory such as The Poplar diver. There are quite a few that do trips for divers or wildlife watchers.

Any yacht big enough to take 12 people must be an arm an a leg to charter.
We can't change the direction of the wind, but we can adjust our sails.

Windfinder
Master Mariner

Postby Windfinder » Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:34 pm

Thinking out of the box a bit, I wonder what the range of a RiB is?

You're only going to go if you're pretty sure of 36hours of very calm sea, 120 miles at 40kts is three hours. Doddle.

4/5 rufty tufty RiB owners might well be prepared to take you all + kit and stand by over night.

As for size of boat - someone's crossed the atlantic in a 13ft boat - countless people have crossed in 22 footers. A 40 footer would easy cope.

There are probably countless flaws in that plan but I wouldn't discount it without investigating it.

In fact the more I think about it a fast boat has countless advantages over a yacht.

IslandMan
Midshipman

Postby IslandMan » Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:41 pm

Motor Boats - there would need to be a large vacancy in their schedule and those who I have talked to already do not have such vacancies or would not be willing to undertake such a distance.Although there is one operator who this will be discussed with.
All options are still being considered.
Andy
Success is the greatest form of revenge

IslandMan
Midshipman

Postby IslandMan » Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:51 pm

Windfinder
Thanks for thinking out of the box but that is a none starter.
From leverburgh to Rockall is around 450 miles round trip plus time out there. Fuel capacity would be an issue. But the idea of bouncing 180 miles from St Kilda to Rockall, The very thought of it.....
Andy

Windfinder
Master Mariner

Postby Windfinder » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:02 pm

IslandMan wrote:Windfinder
Thanks for thinking out of the box but that is a none starter.
From leverburgh to Rockall is around 450 miles round trip plus time out there. Fuel capacity would be an issue. But the idea of bouncing 180 miles from St Kilda to Rockall, The very thought of it.....

225 miles, for some reason 120 stuck in my mind.

Anyway, looks like I've thought a bit too far out of the box!

Royal Cruising Club?
Clyde Cruising Club?

Fingal
Old Salt
Boat Type: Westerly Fulmar 32

Postby Fingal » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:47 pm

Alcyone wrote:There used to be a big sailing vessel doing the St Kilda trips out of Oban - The Jean de la Lune? I haven't seen it for some years, mind.
Jean DLL is (last time I looked) laid up afloat in Leith Docks and was for sale unless someone has snapped her up. A fine vessesl lovingly restored by John Reid who has had to give her up, as I understand, for helath reasons.

Alcyone
Old Salt
Boat Type: Cobra 850, Cardiff and Dale

Postby Alcyone » Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:50 pm

Border Maid wrote:
Alcyone wrote:There used to be a big sailing vessel doing the St Kilda trips out of Oban - The Jean de la Lune? I haven't seen it for some years, mind.
Jean DLL is (last time I looked) laid up afloat in Leith Docks and was for sale unless someone has snapped her up. A fine vessesl lovingly restored by John Reid who has had to give her up, as I understand, for helath reasons.

That is so sad. I'll never forget waking up in Village bay and watching her coming out of the darkness in the East and then the sun rising behind her. Lovely looking boat. I heard another boat I had been on - Monaco, was also out of comission as well, though she was a converted trawler.

Is Bob Jones still running the Gaelic Rose at Lochaline? He did a fair bit of running around the Hebrides, Barra and Norway too, I think.

IslandMan
Midshipman

Postby IslandMan » Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:17 pm

I would like to thank all those on this forum who have taken the time to read about my expedition to Rockall especially those who have given me constructive advice. If you would still like to be a part of the expedition be it to offer a yacht, to skipper, crew or offer advice I would be grateful if you could email me at info@island-man.co.uk All those who I am already liasing with I will contact again when things are a little clearer. I do feel that the greater the pool of those who want to be a part of the expedition, then the greater the chance of getting our numerous diaries coordinated.
Andy

Telo
Admiral of the Red
Boat Type: Vancouver 34 Pilot

Postby Telo » Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:26 pm

There's also the Spirit of Fairbridge. Might be worth suggesting a collaboration.

eilidh_s
Midshipman

Re: Island Man Rockall Expedition 2009

Postby eilidh_s » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:31 pm

Hi Andy, I am watching your website with interest, hope you make it out there this year. The offer of a swimming lesson still stands! For a bit of useless interest, if Andy were to go out on Spirit of Fairbridge it would have interesting links to his last trip to Rockall. My father skippered her when she was called Spirit of Scotland and he took Andy out to Rockall last year!

Eilidh

sahona
Admiral of the White
Boat Type: Marcon Claymore

Postby sahona » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:22 am

More than one boat to spread the load?
That could give the CC09 bunch something to chew over.
http://trooncruisingclub.org/ 20' - 30' Berths available, Clyde.
Cruising, racing, maintenance facilities. Go take a look, you know you want to.

claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Postby claymore » Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:23 pm

2 thoughts
A dive boat might be a good option - there is a converted trawler moors around around Oban in the summer months - joint venture of a bit of diving and a different place to go might be worht something.
The other was to do with the length of the charter - a fast rib would obviously cover the ground in short time - Mark Woombs at Inverie is a diver and marine biologist - he might be a good option. The Malt Cruise use him for safety cover and water taxi services so he does quite a bit of that kind of work - I think you can get him through the Knoydart Community website.
http://www.knoydart-foundation.com
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Postby claymore » Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:29 pm

Responding to Sahona - the bit about the CC09 chewing it over.

William - Iona has not yet been achieved so there's cockall chance of Rockall!
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

Return to “Shooting the breeze”