Hills and Sails

Forum for general cruising topics
ash
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Moody 346

Hills and Sails

Postby ash » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:35 pm

Reading DaveS's latest blog prompted me to ask a question which I've wondered about for some time.

Quite a number of the forum members appear to be hill walkers/climbers/mountaineers as well as sailors. Which came first?

BTW - are any of you involved in the Dundee Mountain Film Festival? I've helped with the projection for the past few years and some of your photos look familiar - DaveS, Mrs Shard.

Ash
"This is a sailing Forum"
Albin Vega "Mistral" is now sold

aquaplane
Admiral of the White Rose
Boat Type: Jeanneau Espace

Postby aquaplane » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:07 pm

My family were walkers before they got a boat. Looking for a cottage in the lake district proved too costly (even in the 1970's).

A mooring on Windermere was obtained and a boat with standing head room to use as a base. The first was a Westerly Windrush 25' 1968 vintage and that is what we learned in.

The Leisure 27 purchased in 1989 proved unsuitable for Kip in 1982 so the Jeaneau Espace 1000 replaced it.

I'm only just getting back into walking and am really unfit. The walk from Grasmere back to Ambleside was enough for now. Bagging Munroes is a good target though.
Seminole.
Cheers Bob.

jim.r
SWS
Boat Type: Moody S38

Postby jim.r » Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:24 am

I started climbing when I was 18 but gave up for a while when the children were small and started sailing then. I restarted climbing about 3 years ago and after a few spells of injury I'm starting to get back into it again. Currently climbing about E1sh or F6b sport, aiming for E5 and F7c by the time I'm 55 ... and F8a for my 60th!!

Windfinder
Master Mariner

Re: Hills and Sails

Postby Windfinder » Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:59 pm

I love hills and sailing.

Standing on top of Meal Acairsaid with the boat on the hook in the anchorage I feel like HW Tillman!

Boats came first, I could barely walk at all when my dad first slung me into a Gremlin dinghy and shoved me off. I've only really got interested in hills as age has caught up with me. :-(

Fingal
Old Salt
Boat Type: Westerly Fulmar 32

Postby Fingal » Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:10 pm

I sailed and hill walked as a teenager, then became more seriously involved in climbing up to my early 30s when I started sailing more seriously and climbing less and eventually hardly at all. I made a brief comeback as a climber for a few years in my early 50s but last year I saw sense and bought an old wooden boat which is effectively a second full-time job.

I think it's the ropes and the pleasure of being exposed to weather and wildlife.

Olivepage
Master Mariner

Postby Olivepage » Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:50 pm

I used to do a lot of hill walking when I was happy - er - I mean single but SWMBO didn't care for it, and got a bit grumpy if I disappeared on a weekend so it sort of tailed off.

She did take to sailing so we got a trailer sailor - Tucker designed Matilda and graduated from there.

Tried caving - and that was quite ridiculous - and I'm the wrong size and shape anyway. Also tried climbing but that was scary - there seems to be much safer ways to get to the top of most things.

So now I just sail.
Be reasonable? I didn't get where I am today by being reasonable.

Rowana
Old Salt
Boat Type: Macwester Rowan 8 meter

Postby Rowana » Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:10 pm

I started both sailing and hill walking in my early teens. I've continued to do both on and off for most of my life. The walking has become more on flat(ish) ground these days since my heart problems. Still enjoy both though.
BLESSED ARE THOSE WHO ARE CRACKED,
FOR THEY ARE THE ONES WHO LET IN THE LIGHT

Windfinder
Master Mariner

Postby Windfinder » Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:27 pm

Rowana wrote:since my heart problems.

BANG!!!

Couldn't resist! ;-)

jim.r
SWS

Postby jim.r » Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:17 pm

Windfinder wrote:

BANG!!!

Couldn't resist! ;-)

Think he said "heart problems" not " fart problems"

Fingal
Old Salt
Boat Type: Westerly Fulmar 32

Postby Fingal » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:26 pm

Rowana wrote:I started both sailing and hill walking in my early teens. I've continued to do both on and off for most of my life. The walking has become more on flat(ish) ground these days since my heart problems. Still enjoy both though.

Likewise. I knew my climbing days were probably over when I did Agag's Groove with my son about 3 years ago and and one realised that going up very steep hills would probably kill me much more effectively than falling off them.

jim.r
SWS

Postby jim.r » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:36 pm

Border Maid wrote:
Rowana wrote:I started both sailing and hill walking in my early teens. I've continued to do both on and off for most of my life. The walking has become more on flat(ish) ground these days since my heart problems. Still enjoy both though.

Likewise. I knew my climbing days were probably over when I did Agag's Groove with my son about 3 years ago and and one realised that going up very steep hills would probably kill me much more effectively than falling off them.

Aye .. the slog up to the waterslide slab is a bit of a puff! After that the scrambling is OK!

bilbo
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Cutlass27

Postby bilbo » Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:49 pm

I started climbing at the start of the Silly Sixties, barely in my teens, as a guest of the Lomonds CC. For a dozen years I made a nuisance of myself on rocky, sticky-up bits from Skye to Sella - then some damaged knee cartilage and a very scary/lucky retreat from an HVS stopped that.

Along the way, I'd stood on the end of the Cuillin Ridge, looked at the islands spread out below me to the southern horizon, and out on the horizon in the west ( yes, there WERE some of those days, when the earth was cooler and clearer than it seems to be now ) and vowed I'd come back through them one day in my own boat. And did.

After the bodged op on my knee, I took up sailing as a substitute - and it became the religion. Still, I reckon I could still get up Agag's - and Spartan Slab - and Cioch Direct. It'd be the getting off the hill again.....

:oops:

jim.r
SWS

Postby jim.r » Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:29 am

The lure of the outdoors whether sea or mountain is very similar, here's a pho I took near Chamonix last year

bilbo
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Cutlass27

Postby bilbo » Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:01 pm

I rather think you've got the edge, Jimi. That's superb!

Rowana
Old Salt
Boat Type: Macwester Rowan 8 meter

Postby Rowana » Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:56 am

jim.r wrote:
Windfinder wrote:

BANG!!!

Couldn't resist! ;-)

Think he said "heart problems" not " fart problems"

I'm afraid that I have some of those as well these days. I don't know if it's the pills that I'm on, but the ol' trouser trumpet gives out some serious loud blasts at times.

I suggest that If you ever see Rowana at sea, don't pass me downwind :!:
BLESSED ARE THOSE WHO ARE CRACKED,
FOR THEY ARE THE ONES WHO LET IN THE LIGHT

Return to “Shooting the breeze”