No, I don;t want one
9%

Total votes: 22

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

BURGEE VOTING CLOSED

Postby Nick » Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:00 pm

Ockle Point's design wins hands down with 40% of the vote (second and third places only achieved 11% and 10% respectively and the rest lost their deposit.)

Thanks to everyone who entered.

Will you buy one? (I don't know the cost yet . . . hence the poll)
Last edited by Nick on Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Nick 8)

Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet
Boat Type: Hurley 22

Postby Silkie » Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:05 pm

I'll need to register a few logins pdq.

Perhaps I should register my protest now; including two versions of mine has split the vote I reckon.
different colours made of tears

Bejasus
Able Seaman

Re: Burgee Voting Closes Midnight Tomorrow

Postby Bejasus » Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:38 pm

Nick wrote:.
Will you buy one? (I don't know the cost yet . . . hence the poll)

very clever, getting the pollsters to set the price.

Where's the yes, I want one button?
Heres how much they cost, plus postage.

I do want one anyway. :lol:

Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet

Postby Silkie » Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:17 pm

I suspect that Claymore (all of them probably) will be black-balling your membership. :)

Nick
Admiral of the Blue

Cynical git

Postby Nick » Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:18 pm

very clever, getting the pollsters to set the price.

Where's the yes, I want one button?
Heres how much they cost, plus postage.

I have no intention of making any profit on these, but preliminary enquiries show that decent quality flags are not going to be cheap items, and I have no intention of making a loss either. The two or three manufacturers I have looked at so far all have price cut-off points in terms of quantity, so knowing possible demand would be rather helpful.
- Nick 8)

Bejasus
Able Seaman

Postby Bejasus » Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:37 pm

no problem if you make enough to cover costs and a bit for the time and trouble, but if everyone says yes if less than a tenner for example, and the numbers come out more because of not a lot of orders, then you have to come back and say sorry they will cost more than that.
Personally I do not mind what they cost, within reason, but if you got a quote for say 100 and then worked out a price based on that, then you could just buy batches of 100 and everyone would know how much to pay for purchase.
However, I may be way off the mark but it just seems easier to me. I could of course be hoplesly wrong.
Ok, I will pick a price and see what happens, as I said, I want one anyway.

ash
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Moody 346

Postby ash » Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:53 pm

IIRC, the VAGB one is £12 inc p&p. It is a fairly simple printed one, but reasonable quality. My last one lasted 18 months when flown 24/7.

Ash
"This is a sailing Forum"
Albin Vega "Mistral" is now sold

Ghillie
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Sigma 38

Postby Ghillie » Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:45 pm

I would be most happy to purchase one, in the knowledge that seeing one being flown (worn?) on a boat would signify a courteous, charming, helpful, skillful, knowledgeable, generous, tolerant, kind, environmentally aware, apolitical (eh?) skipper. Thus so I would have to fly one with a smudge, or perhaps a dollop of hypocrisy.

Nick
Admiral of the Blue

Well said Ghillie

Postby Nick » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:31 am

I would be most happy to purchase one, in the knowledge that seeing one being flown (worn?) on a boat would signify a courteous, charming, helpful, skillful, knowledgeable, generous, tolerant, kind, environmentally aware, apolitical (eh?) skipper.

Well said that man - although 'charming' might be stretching a point for some of our skippers on here :)

Wearing of the BlueMoment house flag will indeed mean that the above code of conduct will be required of the wearer. My hope is that other mariners will come to know that any boat flying that flag will be an approachable source of advice and hospitality.

So far numbers are looking like less than 20 initially. I will make up to date enquiries and get back with a price.

- Nick 8)

ash
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Moody 346

Re: Numbers

Postby ash » Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:54 pm

Nick wrote:So far numbers are looking like less than 20 initially. I will make up to date enquiries and get back with a price.

Please add me to list, I would be priviliged to fly one on Mistral. Will need to work out which of VAGB or Bluemoment will be flown higher on the port spreader.

Ash
"This is a sailing Forum"
Albin Vega "Mistral" is now sold

Clyde_Wanderer
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Hummingbird 30

Re: Well said Ghillie

Postby Clyde_Wanderer » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:15 pm

Nick wrote:.
I would be most happy to purchase one, in the knowledge that seeing one being flown (worn?) on a boat would signify a courteous, charming, helpful, skillful, knowledgeable, generous, tolerant, kind, environmentally aware, apolitical (eh?) skipper.

Well said that man - although 'charming' might be stretching a point for some of our skippers on here :)

Wearing of the BlueMoment house flag will indeed mean that the above code of conduct will be required of the wearer. My hope is that other mariners will come to know that any boat flying that flag will be an approachable source of advice and hospitality.

So far numbers are looking like less than 20 initially. I will make up to date enquiries and get back with a price.

If that less than 20 means 19, then just put my name (not literally) on one and make it 20

Clyde_Wanderer
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Hummingbird 30

Re: Numbers

Postby Clyde_Wanderer » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:24 pm

ash wrote:
Nick wrote:So far numbers are looking like less than 20 initially. I will make up to date enquiries and get back with a price.

Please add me to list, I would be priviliged to fly one on Mistral. Will need to work out which of VAGB or Bluemoment will be flown higher on the port spreader.

Ash

Ah, you must be psychic as you almost answered a question I hadent yet asked, where should the BM burgee be hung? as I have the Saltire under the sb spreader.

sahona
Admiral of the White
Boat Type: Marcon Claymore

Postby sahona » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:21 pm

Port spreader , but you're not a visitor to Scotland are you? ( Saltire on starboard)
http://trooncruisingclub.org/ 20' - 30' Berths available, Clyde.
Cruising, racing, maintenance facilities. Go take a look, you know you want to.

Nick
Admiral of the Blue

Hmmm

Postby Nick » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:26 pm

Looking at the poll results so far I can tell you that all my earlier enquiries indicate that there is very little chance of a decent quality flag of that design at under £10 - if anyone knows where to source them at that price then could they please point me in the right direction?
- Nick 8)

Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet

Postby Silkie » Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:10 pm

What about Flagman? They're septic and I don't know how much shipping might be but they say they can do 25 12"x18" flags with grommets for $12 apiece.

Return to “Shooting the breeze”