Tall ships race

Forum for general cruising topics
bigwow
Able Seaman

Tall ships race

Postby bigwow » Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:57 pm

Any formites visiting Liverpool for the tall ships 18-21 July are invited for a tipple aboard BigWow, unfortunately in the marina as we are not welcome in the river during the event itself.

aquaplane
Admiral of the White Rose
Boat Type: Jeanneau Espace

Postby aquaplane » Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:05 am

I may well take you up on that invite. My Lady has expressed a preference to come and have a butchers at the tall ships. We haven't finalised anything yet but it's still a possibility.

She is from Preston but her family is from Liverpool and she classes herself as a pseudo Scouser.
Seminole.
Cheers Bob.

Arghiro
Old Salt
Boat Type: Pentland Ketch

Postby Arghiro » Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:24 pm

aquaplane wrote:(cut)
She is from Preston but her family is from Liverpool and she classes herself as a pseudo Scouser.

Seems close enough to me. I'm from the Wirral & always been called a scouser by outsiders.

lady_stormrider
Sailing Widow
Boat Type: Jeanneau Espace 1000

Postby lady_stormrider » Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:33 pm

Because I was only born in Liverpool and lived near Seaforth I am often referred to as a Woollyback as technically that's Lancashire.

I also hope to take in the Anthony Gormley statues opn Crosby beach. The ones stopping locals launching their boats off the beach.
Became a full-time sailor at the end of May

Arghiro
Old Salt

Postby Arghiro » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:27 pm

lady_stormrider wrote:Because I was only born in Liverpool and lived near Seaforth I am often referred to as a Woollyback as technically that's Lancashire.

I also hope to take in the Anthony Gormley statues opn Crosby beach. The ones stopping locals launching their boats off the beach.

They're worth a visit. And I never saw a boat launched off that beach in the 30 years I lived at Wallasey (across the river). I did once sail there (and back) on a 14' dinghy cat in the 60's. We were the only dinghy on the river that evening & had a bit of "fun" dodging the tankers trying to catch the last of the tide out of the river.

bigwow
Able Seaman

Postby bigwow » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:23 pm

Well, stayed on BigWow all week-end, in fact just got home today. Not visited by one formite! drunk myself silly just to get rid of all the booze! :D :roll:

Julian

Postby Julian » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:37 pm

bigwow wrote:Well, stayed on BigWow all week-end, in fact just got home today. Not visited by one formite! drunk myself silly just to get rid of all the booze! :D :roll:

I did not see your post otherwise I may have popped over. Though after walking to and from Wellington dock from the bus I was in a bit of a mess.

No seats at the dock either, if I had have come aboard you may have had problems shifting me as me old bones had seized up as the evening arrived. It was damn cold in the wind too!

bigwow
Able Seaman

Postby bigwow » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:50 pm

Marina was running a FREE shuttle bus from the Albert to the Marina and for the adventurous a rib from Gaciere as well

Julian

Postby Julian » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:19 pm

we got the free bus, it stopped about a mile from Wellington for some reason???

Taxi's were not allowed near..

All fine if you are fit, but for me it ruined a pleasant afternoon. There was better access in 92 when they were in Vittoria dock in Birkenhead, but I guess that did not fit with the City of culture. They could have run a ferry back and forth which would have been more fun for everyone.

Arghiro
Old Salt

Postby Arghiro » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:45 pm

I watched the parade from the Wallasey Prom (stayed at my brothers' so didn't manage to get over to visit BigWow). Who was that anchored just up-river from the Tower Bouy? Could it have been BigWow?

Couple of sail boats there too, Malvinas & Supra. Anyone we know?

Great day out & nice to see some were setting sails despite an near headwind to deal with.

aquaplane
Admiral of the White Rose
Boat Type: Jeanneau Espace

Postby aquaplane » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:28 am

We were put off by the fact that the ships were not actually moving and the traffic in Southport for the Golf. Plan A was park in Southport and get the train into town. Upshot was we went sailing instead.

We had a cracking sail on Sunday to make up for the slight dissapointment of not seeing the ships, and the major dissapointment of not being Wowed by the big one too.
Seminole.
Cheers Bob.

Return to “Shooting the breeze”