Have you noticed how the English ....

Forum for general cruising topics
BigNick

Have you noticed how the English ....

Postby BigNick » Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:20 pm

..... are cheering for Andy Murray at Wimbledon because he is British?

Good eh!

Windfinder
Master Mariner

Re: Have you noticed how the English ....

Postby Windfinder » Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:24 pm

BigNick wrote:..... are cheering for Andy Murray at Wimbledon because he is British?

Good eh!

I fear that by tomorrow night, we (the English master-race) will be referring to him as Scottish once more!

ParaHandy
Old Salt

Postby ParaHandy » Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:04 pm

BigNick wrote:Good eh!

yes, it is! seems the only scot you're likely to see in the news who's doing something positive .. erm ...

ljs
Old Salt
Boat Type: Sadler 34

Postby ljs » Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:07 pm

So we better not mention that when he was asked a couple of years ago who he wanted to win the World Cup (er football) his answer was ABE.
Sorry Andy..?
Anyone But England

Telo
Admiral of the Red
Boat Type: Vancouver 34 Pilot

Postby Telo » Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:12 am

He could probably do without it, given all the unwarranted pisstaking that Tim Henman had to take from his "fans" over the years. Anyway, football's football, and tennis doesn't yet have all the nationalistic overtones. But keep working at it.
8)

claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Postby claymore » Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:40 am

This thread doesn't have long to run.... a bit like Andy Murray's Wimbledon challenge.
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

BigNick

Postby BigNick » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:57 am

So we better not mention that when he was asked a couple of years ago who he wanted to win the World Cup (er football) his answer was ABE.
Sorry Andy..?
Anyone But England
I'd think he is keeping this under his hat these days, if he has realised that it will limit his income from British sponsors.

aitchw
Able Seaman

Postby aitchw » Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:31 am

Yeah, well, you just put those jaundiced views into either the 'usual banter' or the myopic 'the English are to blame for everything' boxes and forget about them. Me, I am British and will continue to support anyone from these isles who is excelling unless, of course, they are Welsh and playing rugby :lol:

tom26
Able Seaman

Postby tom26 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:35 pm

BigNick wrote:
Sorry Andy..?
Anyone But England
I'd think he is keeping this under his hat these days, if he has realised that it will limit his income from British sponsors.

He was misquoted though I have read

He was asked by an english journalist, "will you be supporting Scotland at the world cup?" when Scotland had already not qualified. He replied in a similar tone when he said no ABE, perhaps not the smartest move - he was 19 at the time, it seems a bit harsh to bear a grudge about that

people do not like him because he is so different to tim henman, hopefully he will one day win wimbledon and therefore have something else he does not have in common with Tim

Windfinder
Master Mariner

Postby Windfinder » Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:49 pm

BigNick wrote:..... are cheering for Andy Murray at Wimbledon because he is British?

Good eh!

I see in the news that some Scottish bloke is out of Wimbledon:

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/02072008/ ... dream.html

He's not a patch on the British Bloke I read about this morning.

Return to “Shooting the breeze”