Kicking my heels in Oban

Forum for general cruising topics
PembrokeshirePromise
Able Seaman

Kicking my heels in Oban

Postby PembrokeshirePromise » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:08 pm

Well Kerrara in the marina at the moment.

SWIMBO has had to go home for a few days (and has taken the 3yr old Admiral with her)

I've caught up on all the work I needed to over the last couple of days - so was just wondering if any of you folk were round and about seeing as it seems to be home ground for many of you.

I'll probably push off for a gentle sail somewhere not too far over the w/e - but I'll be solo unless anyone cares to join me for a day or two - in which case you'd be most welcome

Haven't done much solo sailing - so will be taking it very gently - but actually the bit I'm most worried about is getting back into the marina after I've been away. Anchoring / visitor buoys should be fine unless conditions are really unpleasant - in which case I'd aim to be somewhere else! Hey ho - at least Kerrera has nice widely spaced pontoons.

Best wishes
James

Telo
Admiral of the Red
Boat Type: Vancouver 34 Pilot

Postby Telo » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:14 pm

We'll probably be in the area some time tomorrow afternoon. We'll keep an eye/ear open (Channel 77 OK?)

garredfox
Master Mariner

Postby garredfox » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:18 pm

Will be at home, Seil, at the weekend. We may go out on Saturday. No set plans as Nick has been away all week and is coming back on the ferry from Barra late tomorrow.

Come and anchor in Puilladobhran and walk over to the Tigh an Truish.

I'll pm our phone number.
the other half

DaveS
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Seastream 34

Re: Kicking my heels in Oban

Postby DaveS » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:36 pm

PembrokeshirePromise wrote:will be taking it very gently - but actually the bit I'm most worried about is getting back into the marina after I've been away. Hey ho - at least Kerrera has nice widely spaced pontoons.

Just a thought, based on my singlehanding methods... While you're on the pontoon you could take the opportunity to make up a warp with a fixed loop at one end (bowline) to go over your centre cleat and a mid-line loop (figure of eight) to go over the first (seaward) pontoon cleat thus forming a spring that will stop the bow contacting the walkway. The rest of the line goes loosely back to your stern cleat, marked (bit of tape) to show how far out from the pontoon you can safely be before risking hitting your neighbour. Before returning to the pontoon you arrange this prepared line with the slack made off on your stern cleat at the mark, and come slowly into the pontoon, dropping the loop over the pontoon cleat with the boathook. Leave the motor in tickover ahead and you're held safely in place while you put on a bow rope and shorten up the stern line.

PembrokeshirePromise
Able Seaman

Thanks - That was quick !

Postby PembrokeshirePromise » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:38 pm

Actually Puilladobhran was looking like a possible for tomorrow night - so I might take you up on that.

We left Barra last Sun - so must almost have met over there.

Will try and steer well clear of the Barra ferry tomorrow then :wink:

I'll stick the VHF on 77 as well

Many Thanks
James

PembrokeshirePromise
Able Seaman

Returning to pontoons

Postby PembrokeshirePromise » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:45 pm

Thanks Dave,

I had the first half of that in mind - but hadn't thought of using the tail of the line back to the stern cleat to limit stern swinging out.

Actually thought I might do the whole thing reversing in - depending on conditions etc - perhaps slightly harder to do - but bail out options are better - and I thought it might be easier to drop this loop thingy over the outermost cleat on the finger this way - when the whole boat is further from walkway.

Its always the dropping the loop over the cleat that gets me - everyone makes it sound so easy - but if there's any wind I don't imagine having a whole load of time to get it right - maybe I'll have a practice at that before leaving too !

Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet
Boat Type: Hurley 22

Postby Silkie » Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:07 am

Sadly, despite this being very clearly marked as a sailing weekend on the calendar, I am committed to preparing for The New Kitchen this weekend.

Puilladobhrain was the choice for my first single-handed anchoring experience and the T'n'T is the icing on the cake. I'm sure you'll have fun wherever you end up.
different colours made of tears

Telo
Admiral of the Red

Looking reasonable...

Postby Telo » Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:23 am

Mull of Kintyre to Ardnamurchan Point

Strong winds are forecast

Inshore waters forecast

24 hour forecast: 0100 Thu 19 Jun 0100 Fri 20 Jun
Wind Northwest, backing southwest for a time, 4 or 5, occasionally 6 at first, decreasing 3 or 4 later.
Sea state Moderate, occasionally rough at first.
Weather Showers.
Visibility Mainly good.

Outlook: 1900 Thu 19 Jun 1900 Fri 20 Jun
Wind Westerly veering easterly 3 or 4.
Sea state Moderate decreasing slight.
Weather Showers dying out.
Visibility Good.

PembrokeshirePromise
Able Seaman

Kitchens

Postby PembrokeshirePromise » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:55 am

Forecast far too good fot kitchens I reckon :wink:

Think I'll gear myself up for a potter down to Puilladobrhain then

Probably should have said boats name is Autonomy - 36ft dark blue with a red stripe

Best wishes
James

Telo
Admiral of the Red

Postby Telo » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:46 pm

We didn't leave Dallens Bay until half five, with the wind right on the nose. We tacked down and anchored on the north side of Eilean na Cloiche, E of Lismore, at about 2000. Wind dropped just we were anchoring; beautiful evening.

Forecast not too bad, although I see Sunday is East 4 or 5 becoming psychotic 5 to 7.

ljs
Old Salt
Boat Type: Sadler 34

Re: Kitchens

Postby ljs » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:53 pm

PembrokeshirePromise wrote:Probably should have said boats name is Autonomy - 36ft dark blue with a red stripe
James

Perfect name for a bit of single-handing..

PembrokeshirePromise
Able Seaman

Tucked up in Pulladobhrain

Postby PembrokeshirePromise » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:34 pm

But not exactly alone...
Been over the hill for a pint
Was a tad breezey on the way down - but dropped right off now hardly a breath

As you say - tomorrow looks OK - but Sun keeps changing - with the possibility of some wind Sun night

Thinking of going through Cuan tomorrow and maybe popping upto Balvicar then on to Shuna or Loch Melfort

Then have lots of options for shelter if it goes round to N or E

I nearly turned round and sailed N - it would have been a much better sail...

Best wishes
James

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Postby Nick » Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:23 am

Mull of Kintyre to Ardnamurchan Point

Strong winds are forecast

Inshore waters forecast

24 hour forecast: 0100 Thu 19 Jun 0100 Fri 20 Jun
Wind Northwest, backing southwest for a time, 4 or 5, occasionally 6 at first

Call that strong?

Came into Castlebay this morning with 40 knots over the deck gusting up to 45 and rain like bullets. Been sewn into my thermals all week and my crew got confused if the wind dropped below 20 knots and asked if they should put the engine on.
- Nick 8)

ash
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Moody 346

Sunday Weather?

Postby ash » Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:41 pm

Just received this email from Weatherman

"Morning all,

Just wanted to let you know that the winds around Ireland and the western UK are looking unseasonably strong tomorrow.

As the area of low pressure tracks over Ireland there is a chance of the winds increasing to be in excess of F10 through Sunday. The strongest winds could last from late this evening to late Sunday evening.

In fact, almost no sea areas escape the strong winds.

Check the latest forecasts before sailing as this has the potential to be particularly nasty, especially given the Round Ireland Race which is going to be taking place from today.

Stay safe,

Simon
"

Ash
"This is a sailing Forum"
Albin Vega "Mistral" is now sold

Telo
Admiral of the Red

Postby Telo » Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:58 pm

This morning we headed South from Eilean na Cloiche making only about two knots with a very light wind behind us. The afternoon's forecast came in as we approached Eilean Bach. We turned around and headed back to Dallens Bay, and home.......... :(

Return to “Shooting the breeze”