Sailing to (Southern) Ireland

Forum for general cruising topics
Allegro
Able Seaman
Boat Type: Victoire 25

Sailing to (Southern) Ireland

Postby Allegro » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:34 pm

Hi

Just wondering if anyone had practical experience of the requirements for documentation etc when sailing to Southern Ireland? We went across to N Ireland a couple of years ago but I was wary of the border as we had (and still have) a marked lack of the sort of documentation I believe you're supposed to have before going "abroad". ie Allegro's not registered, doesn't have evidence of VAT paid status, we didn't have passports... I am right, am I, in thinking that all those things are required in theory before setting foot across the border? And in practice, I never seem to hear tales of boats being harrassed by customs in the same way that the French seem to - what really happens?!

Cheers
Patrick
Sailing a Victoire 25 on the west coast of Scotland

Telo
Admiral of the Red
Boat Type: Vancouver 34 Pilot

Postby Telo » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:46 pm

You don't need passports, although there could be some circumstances where they may useful for photographic identification. I don't believe Ireland expects SSR registration, though again, there may be some situation where it may help along with the usual ship's papers.

We sailed round Ireland, calling in at a fair few harbours and anchorages, and never had, nor expected, any contact with officialdom. Can't remember, but probably just carried basic ship's papers eg copy of insurance, VHF operators' licences, etc.
Last edited by Telo on Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ljs
Old Salt
Boat Type: Sadler 34

Postby ljs » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:52 pm

Very relaxed. Carry what you have but it's extremely unlikely you'll be asked for anything.
If in doubt, carry some cans of Guinness and some Bushmills as well

I live in N. Ireland, keep my boat in S. Ireland and regularly cruise between the two, and Scotland. Never been asked for anything in the last 6 years and rarely carry anything other than ID

garredfox
Master Mariner

Postby garredfox » Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:17 pm

We went round Ireland a few years ago and were 'boarded' by customs - a very nice guy in casual wear who asked only a few basic questions about where we were from and where we were going. We showed him ships papers and I think passports, so would always carry them just in case.

All a very laid back experience.
the other half

Return to “Shooting the breeze”