Should my cringle luff-snatcher

Forum for general cruising topics
claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Postby claymore » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:01 am

We did once take on the look of a Darwinian venture after visiting the kitchen gardens in Loch Aline. Dear Heart filled the forepeak with fuscia - which abounds healthily to this very day at Claymore Towers. We also once filled the cabin sole with mud when a home grown lettuce went for a flyer during a rather over-vigourous tacking manoevre.
I am now careful not to plan sailing trips that coincide with lettuce harvesting time. It wsa a Webbs Wonder although I did re-christen it
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

aitchw
Able Seaman

Postby aitchw » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:53 am

Might gimbled staging for the good ship Claymore's greenhouse solve some of the problem?

claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Postby claymore » Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:09 am

Indeed it would but is low on the list of priorities - an additional stainless water tank in the bilge is an idea I really wish I hadn't had
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

Olivepage
Master Mariner

Postby Olivepage » Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:18 am

I must admit I had not considered floral decoration for a boat, but as Olive has a commodious greenhouse, err I mean wheelhouse, perhaps someone could suggest a suitable example of nautical flora that I might purchase.

Please remember as a card carrying Yorkshireman the cost will always be a significant factor so nothing too expensive - I mean exotic.

aquaplane
Admiral of the White Rose
Boat Type: Jeanneau Espace

Postby aquaplane » Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:42 am

Happen a little tub of cress on the window sill will suffice, it'll help with scurvy too.

What came first, hanging baskets or gimbals?

Hey, you could have a hanging basket full of geraniums to port, and one with somat green to starboard, oregano or other usefull herbs, that would be dead nautical.
Seminole.
Cheers Bob.

lady_stormrider
Sailing Widow
Boat Type: Jeanneau Espace 1000

Postby lady_stormrider » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:34 pm

As well as white Bellis dasies suspended in a tub off the mast as a steamer light. How would the hanging basket cope with the 112.5 degree Arc?
Became a full-time sailor at the end of May

Olivepage
Master Mariner

Postby Olivepage » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:03 pm

I like the idea of navigational flowers.

The nav lights are in boxes on the wheelhouse roof, I could easily attach a small pot to the back of each.

Mmmmmm.

Think I would need 2 of the daisy thingies - stern light as well - that could go on wheelhouse roof - steaming light might be a problem - the mainmast is quite "busy" - perhaps on the post where the bowsprit should sit.

Not entirely happy with the starboard flower - herbs seem a little dull, are there any green flowers?

Olivepage
Master Mariner

Postby Olivepage » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:12 pm

I like the idea of navigational flowers.

The nav lights are in boxes on the wheelhouse roof, I could easily attach a small pot to the back of each.

Mmmmmm.

Think I would need 2 of the daisy thingies - stern light as well - that could go on wheelhouse roof - steaming light might be a problem - the mainmast is quite "busy" - perhaps on the post where the bowsprit should sit.

Not entirely happy with the starboard flower - herbs seem a little dull, are there any green flowers?

Whats this 112 degree business?

Although of generous girth, Olive is a very ladylike boat. She most certainly would not go in for such indiscreet gyrations.

She would consider that as taking a liberty.

ash
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Moody 346

Postby ash » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:35 pm

Olivepage wrote:I like the idea of navigational flowers.

Not entirely happy with the starboard flower - herbs seem a little dull, are there any green flowers?.

How about Teleflora's Green Light

Ash
"This is a sailing Forum"
Albin Vega "Mistral" is now sold

Olivepage
Master Mariner

Postby Olivepage » Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:12 am

Err

It may be my screen

Or possibly my eyesight

But that flower looks yellow to me.

I would hate to fall foul of colregs by having the wrong coloured navigation flower.

Return to “Shooting the breeze”