midges

Forum for general cruising topics
magdar
Midshipman

midges

Postby magdar » Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:07 am

Hi folks
does anyone know if burning citronella oil in a lamp will discourage these vampirous beasties from entering your cabin?
If not, any other suggestions greatly received.

cheers
Richard

Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet
Boat Type: Hurley 22

Postby Silkie » Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:17 am

Hah! You wish!

Stay at anchor at least 20m offshore although there is some anecdotsl evidence to suggest that this may not be enough.
Last edited by Silkie on Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
different colours made of tears

magdar
Midshipman

Postby magdar » Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:20 am

thought it was too good to be true
ahh well
thanks anyway

aitchw
Able Seaman

Postby aitchw » Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:19 pm

They just love warm, still air and I have found that running a fan aimed across the cabin towards the companionway can give some relief and discorages the annoying people from flying in when coming and going. Bog Myrtle is also supposed to be a deterrent. This stuff grows everywhere on the West Coast.

jim.r
SWS
Boat Type: Moody S38

Postby jim.r » Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:41 pm

aitchw wrote:They just love warm, still air and I have found that running a fan aimed across the cabin towards the companionway can give some relief and discorages the annoying people from flying in when coming and going. Bog Myrtle is also supposed to be a deterrent. This stuff grows everywhere on the West Coast.

In that case Bog Myrtle's pretty ineffective cos the West Coast is the area that midges like!

tom26
Able Seaman

midges

Postby tom26 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:31 pm

definitely agree re a fan - little else works in my experience

ash
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Moody 346

Re: Midges

Postby ash » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:54 pm

Hi

Does anyone have a favorite substance to apply to the skin to discourage the annoying people.

Looking for something that is pleasant to apply and use, safe for g/kids too, and natural if possible.

They annoy me, but SWMBO comes up in lumps which itch for ages.

We've used used Avon Skin so Soft Oil Spray before and found it OK, but don't know any Avon reps.

Found an on line shop, Avon, but there seems to be a big choice and I'm not sure if this is the correct one. Mind you, they reckon that it works because the oily skin stops them getting a bite, so maybe it doesn't matter too much.

Research mentions Skin So Soft Bug Guard PLUS, but it only appears to be available fron USA sites.

On the other tack, do you use burners at all. We burn citronella candles, cheapies from pound shops, etc but they're not effective.

We have a fan heater with a cold setting, so I'm going to try that when we're in the marina to create a breeze around the cockpit.

All advice welcome - they were bad on Sunday afternoon after the rain.

BTW, our berth is very close to trees so we need protection.

Ash
"This is a sailing Forum"
Albin Vega "Mistral" is now sold

Gordonmc
Master Mariner

Postby Gordonmc » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:04 am

The weekend was relatively midge-free in the Kyles with a decent bit of sun and a breeze until about 14.00 on Sunday... then the blighters came out to play with a vengance.
I had the boat on a mooring at Colintraive and a cloud of the things followed me out hovering above the dinghy. Cunningly I went past the boat and did a switchback to confuse the enemy, but the swarm did a neat Immelman turn and reached me just as I got on board.
I found the Skin so Soft and got relief, but the stuff doesn't kill midgies... it just stops them biting. It took half an hour of arm waving and all the citronella oil lamps burning to persuade them to leave.

stevepick
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Dufour 40

repellants

Postby stevepick » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:04 am

Ash,

Midges do not like : bright sunlight, a breeze over (IIRC)5mph. They are attracted by co2 so stopping breathing would stop them finding you! Bog myrtle is a traditional repellant , and the one we have bought that is bog myrtle based seems ok. Avon skin so soft is available retail, its in the Green welly shop and I think chemists/drug stores sell it. It sseems as good as stuff like DEET to me and a far nicer substance than DEET.
I come up in lumps when they bite , but taking an over the counter anti-histamine ( starting the day before you go to midge country to get it into your system) really helps .

Steve

aitchw
Able Seaman

Postby aitchw » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:49 am

Not sure how effective a small fan in the cockpit is going to be, not very would be my guess but in the cabin very effective.

Over the years camping and sailing up there I have always used mosquito coils but you need to be a bit careful with them. In larger spaces no problem but in the cabin you could burn them to rid the place of them and if you need to have hatch open for ventilation burning one near to it will help discourage them from coming in. The coils are sold in loads of shops up there or camping supplies places elsewhere.

Daveanmucker
Master Mariner
Boat Type: victoria 30

Postby Daveanmucker » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:32 pm

Avon skin so soft does work for us, always carry it on the boat and have no problem getting it from an Avon rep in this country.

Think that Avon in USA have caught on that the stuff is bought for midge repellent, but we use the original oh so soft.

Using it in Inverie recently made a walk ashore bearable and I've had some unbearable trips ashore in Inverie because of midges.
We can't change the direction of the wind, but we can adjust our sails.

Allegro
Able Seaman
Boat Type: Victoire 25

Postby Allegro » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:37 pm

We've had some success with Avon Skin so Soft. Interested to hear you can buy it at the Green Welly stop. We've got ours from the coffee shop attached to the hotel at Crinan - just by the sea lock.

Cheers
Patrick
Sailing a Victoire 25 on the west coast of Scotland

Return to “Shooting the breeze”