Ain't Sailing Grand?

Forum for general cruising topics
Pete Cooper
Old Salt
Boat Type: Micro Gem 550 Super Yacht

Ain't Sailing Grand?

Postby Pete Cooper » Mon May 19, 2008 9:00 am

Yesterday my wife announced that she was gardening so off I went down to the boat. Not much wind but set off anyway and was cruising nicely - about 2.5 - 3 knots. Looked over my shoulder and there was a big fat seal waching me. A little later I saw a flock of porpoises. Eventually the wind died and I was getting a bit near the Wemyss Bay ferrry terminal so I motored for 10 minutes to get away. Then the breeze kicked in again so I continued South towards Cumbrae. It took me nearly 3 hours to get nearly to Cumbrae at which point I turned and hardened up towards Toward and then tacked back to Kip. Despite it being a little cool, and despite not actually going anywhere it was a fantastic day out. Ain't sailing grand?

Troonsometimes
Able Seaman

Ain't it just

Postby Troonsometimes » Mon May 19, 2008 9:20 am

I took my Dad and his brother from Troon and stayed the night at Rothesay on Saturday. We had a great sail up from Troon with a gusty wind but no rain, only losing the wind completely between Little Cumbrae and Bute for a short time. Caught the breeze again and made a good 5.5 knots heading into Rothesay bay.
We got there just after 4pm and had a wander round the town where the two lads grew up. Ain't nostalgia grand...
Sunday woke bright and clear and we gooswinged up to Loch Riddon then on to West Kyle. By the time we cleared West Kyle what was left of the wind was right on the bow. We motored into St Ninians bay and anchored for lunch.
My Dad then tested the automatic lifejacket by falling backwards from the dinghy into 1 foot of water.
With the wind gone we motored in brilliant sunshine all the way back to Troon spotting porpoises in little groups at fairly regular intervals. Polaroid sunglasses help with the porpoise spotting but I now look like a Panda.
What a great weekend

Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet
Boat Type: Hurley 22

Re: Ain't Sailing Grand?

Postby Silkie » Mon May 19, 2008 10:15 pm

Pete Cooper wrote:Ain't sailing grand?

Ain't it just!
different colours made of tears

Allegro
Able Seaman
Boat Type: Victoire 25

Postby Allegro » Wed May 21, 2008 10:08 am

Porpoises, seals, and unmistakably a couple of puffins swimming frantically out of the way in the Sound of Jura at the weekend. Lovely weather.

Cheers
Patrick
Sailing a Victoire 25 on the west coast of Scotland

Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet

Postby Silkie » Wed May 21, 2008 6:04 pm

Welcome aboard Patrick.

You probably won't remember (it was a long time ago now) but you gave a very full and illustrated response to my first ever thread in the other place asking about Loch Spelve.

Have had a look for the thread but the new google search can't find it, unsurprisingly.

Found it (go on - ask me how :) ) although you've moved your pics.

Clyde_Wanderer
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Hummingbird 30

Postby Clyde_Wanderer » Wed May 21, 2008 10:56 pm

Aye it sure is Pete.
I always feel at peace with the world and myself when I am out alone, no one to criticise or argue with only my own thoughts.
Have any of you ever heard a song sung by an Irish group who are now broke up, called Stockton's Wing, the song is...." Walk Away"
It sums up it all up.
C_W

Allegro
Able Seaman
Boat Type: Victoire 25

Re: Silkie

Postby Allegro » Thu May 22, 2008 10:02 am

Hi Silkie

Go on then, tell me how!

I do remember, as it happens - mainly because we were based in Dunstaffnage before we moved down to Ardfern and always noticed Silkie as one of the few other small boats. Even saw yourself once, I think!

Good sailing.

Cheers
Patrick
Sailing a Victoire 25 on the west coast of Scotland

Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet

Postby Silkie » Thu May 22, 2008 10:23 am

I searched for all your posts. Before figuring it out however, I asked the question and Brendan gave quite a useful tutorial here.

Off up to the boat now.

Fair winds.

claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Postby claymore » Thu May 22, 2008 12:51 pm

Stockton's wing - fine band. 'After the deluge' was my favourite
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

Return to “Shooting the breeze”