market value of swinging moorings?

Forum for general cruising topics
JohnBuch
Able Seaman
Boat Type: Albin Vega

market value of swinging moorings?

Postby JohnBuch » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:10 pm

As always I'm trying to reduce my sailing costs and am thinking about buying a mooring. Just not sure what the market value is. See one advertised in Yachting Life for £1,100 at Fairlie - is this a typical price for the Clyde? Is it fairly straightforward to transfer ownership of a mooring with the Crown Estates? Can a Moorings Association refuse to let a mooring owner transfer the mooring?

When I say 'mooring owner' I realise that this is probably technically wrong - I guess that the Crown Estates is the real owner and mooring are just licenced from them?

Anyone know of moorings for sale on the West coast?

Lots of questions I know, but any guidance appreciated.

ta

John

tom26
Able Seaman

moorings for sale

Postby tom26 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:25 am

a few years ago we had a mooring at Gourock but struggled to give it away almost - a couple of hundred I think it went for, they often had moorings available but a bit bumpy - we were not fans of it

however I saw an advert for a mooring in Nancy Smillie's in Oban and it was approx £3k - was east of Dunstaffnage but on the right side of the falls of lora

Hopefully others will be able to explain the difference in costs - may be only down to location

I guess that only adds to your confusion!

Return to “Shooting the breeze”