Coastguard strike & the US navy

Forum for general cruising topics
Mehitabel
Able Seaman

Coastguard strike & the US navy

Postby Mehitabel » Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:39 pm

Have been lurking here for a while, was prompted to register by the discovery that Oldgaffer1 has my dad's old boat. Have since exchanged e-mails and photos (of boats!). Always nice to track down boats from your past, particularly one with such character and fond memories attached.

The actual topic for my first post is the message which Clyde Coastguard (and presumably all others) was broadcasting yesterday instead of weather forcasts and MSIs - I paraphrase: "We are currently undertaking industrial action in pursuit of fair pay and will not therefore be broadcasting weather forcasts. If your call is not emergency in nature please be informed that we will resume normal service on 24 April. Thank you for your patience and understanding" A similar message was solicited by requests for radio checks - still served the purpose though!

Good luck to them I say, it seems they have very little option, but reassuring that they were still responding to emergencies, of which there was some traffic. As it happens they had a substantial international audience as there was a large NATO exercise going on on the Clyde with about 20 European and US ships getting in everyones way. I just wonder what their crews thought about a nation which pays their coastguards so little that they have to resort to such action. It was rather an interesting sight to see a German Frigate steaming past Greenock!

I noted that the US ships were steaming around with their anchors dangling from the bow - rather unseamanlike in my opinion. Did consider calling one up to inform them, in case they were unaware, but bottled out! The exchange might gave gone something like:
"US Warship F102 this is sailing vessel Singing Bird on your port beam".
"Singing Bird this is US Warship F102, channel 77 please".
"US Warship F102, this is Singing Bird on Ch 77, are you aware that your port side anchor is dangling from its hawse pipe".
"Singing Bird, I thank you for your observation, but if you wish to continue singing I suggest you mind your own business"
"US Warship F102, I was only concerned that you may not be aware of the hazard. I apologise if this is standard US navy practice, I am only familiar with British Warships. Have a nice day"
At this the forward gun turret is seen to slowly rotate in my direction.

This is why I bottled out!

Nick, if you want to update the "Scottish Moorings" page, I was in Loch Ranza on Sunday, there are now only 5 blue visitors moorings, but they appear to be freshly serviced. No pickups.

Telo
Admiral of the Red
Boat Type: Vancouver 34 Pilot

Postby Telo » Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:44 pm

Hi Mehitabel. Welcome to the madhouse!

Booby Trapper
Old Salt
Boat Type: Jeanneau Attalia

Postby Booby Trapper » Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:34 pm

CG had a one day strike a few weeks ago I heard someone on ch16 asking for a radio check. I thought it quite amusing that they replied but said they could not give a radio check due to industrial action and normal service would be resumed the following day at 0800hrs.
The caller thanked them and went away quite happy.

Rowana
Old Salt
Boat Type: Macwester Rowan 8 meter

Re: Coastguard strike & the US navy

Postby Rowana » Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:29 pm

Mehitabel wrote:
I noted that the US ships were steaming around with their anchors dangling from the bow - rather unseamanlike in my opinion.

Welcome to the falourm :!:

I seem to recall from my days serving Queen & Country on one of the Grey Funnel Line ships, that when approaching land, one of the anchors was cleared away, and only held by a slip.

If the driver on the bridge got his "left hand down a bit" muddled up, or the stokers made a mess of changing gear, then the pick could be dropped in a hurry, and save the said war canoe going up on the putty.

As I said, it's a long time ago, and my memory isn't what it was, but I'll bet that's what the colonials were doing.
BLESSED ARE THOSE WHO ARE CRACKED,
FOR THEY ARE THE ONES WHO LET IN THE LIGHT

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Hi Mehitabel

Postby Nick » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:26 pm

Welcome to the forum and thanks for the heads-up re. the Lochranza moorings - I have added this info, although I suspect the other moorings may yet make an appearance. I will contact my correspondent on N Ayrshire Council to see why there is a reduction in numbers and ascertain whether or not it is permanent.
- Nick 8)

Bejasus
Able Seaman

Re: Coastguard strike & the US navy

Postby Bejasus » Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:42 pm

Rowana wrote:I seem to recall from my days serving Queen & Country on one of the Grey Funnel Line ships, that when approaching land, one of the anchors was cleared away, and only held by a slip.

Our ship(and I don't mean Bejasus), when coming into harbour, always prepares one anchor, just in case. Although it isn't put out to dangle. :shock:

Return to “Shooting the breeze”