Page 1 of 1

heading out for a sail tomorrow?

Posted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:22 am
by JohnBuch
Anyone going sailing tomorrow? Good Friday.I'm planning to hed out on the Clyde - but forecast not looking promising. Thinking of just going down to Largs from Rhu. Where would provide good shelter in northerly? I would imagine Rothesay could be very exposed to North wind. Seem to remember reading that there were plans to put a pontoon in at Kames bay 2 miles north of Rothesay - did this ever happen?

Just in case the weather is not as bad as forecast might head in the direction of Campbelton - does it provide reasonable shelter in northerly winds?


Posted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:57 am
by Nick
Millport is OK in a Northerly, but they might not have put the moorings out yet.

Posted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:23 am
by JohnBuch
ta, Nick

high wind forecast has miraculously disappeared from Metcheck! Is it a trap? :P

Posted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:38 am
by Silkie
Plenty wind showing on xcweather.

Posted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:08 am
by JohnBuch
Blowy but down from last night - inshore was F7-8

Posted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:51 am
by Rowana
29 gusting 39kts here at the moment along with sleet and hailstones.

I think I'll just stay inside the house today.

Posted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:28 pm
by Telo
How did it work out John? We were doing the antifouling and generally lying about in heap in between trips to the Tigh an Truish. The Met Office Inshore Waters forecast on Navtex on Friday was forecasting 6-8 with a bit of 9 plus wintry showers......

Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:25 pm
by JohnBuch
Shard wrote:How did it work out John? We were doing the antifouling and generally lying about in heap in between trips to the Tigh an Truish. The Met Office Inshore Waters forecast on Navtex on Friday was forecasting 6-8 with a bit of 9 plus wintry showers......

Great weekend :D

Friday, sailed down from Rhu to Largs in strong winds under reefed genoa (no wind instrument so don't know speed). Saw the GPS hit 9.3 knots, though crew says it went to 10 at one point. Just read Nick's thread on difficuties of turning upwind which gave me some food or thought. Thanks to the new reliable Beta my plan to pick up a MOB would be to furl genny and motor up. Also took precaution of us both being tied in with lifelines when it got really blowy. Final dramatic flourish when a flurry of snow hit us just as we were about to enter Largs.

Original plan had been to sail in company with my mate Franks HR29 but as his crew had called off we decided that the best plan was for the three of us to go onto the HR - its got an Eber!

Sunday had a great sail in F5/6 upwind into the Kyles with a few miles of motorsailing from Loch Striven up to East Kyle. Blasted dwn the East Kyle and then round Ardlamont an up into the wind to Tarbert. Only saw a few boats out but amazingly only just got last alongside visitors berth. A really cold day but great sailing and great views. Got a bit if a shock at prices in Tarbert £17 to berth, then you have to pay for showers, and electricity is another £2 per meter card.

Suffered Vega envy when I saw Keith Patrick's Vega with its very smart cockpit tent - looked expensive.

It had been dry, but raw, all day. Blue skies most of morning. Rain passed through overnight and we woke to one of those morning that turn Tarbert into a tropical paradise ( apart from the temperature). Started windless and low tide exposed the various rocks at the entrance to the harbour. During the nights precipitation snow level had dropped to 500 feet. One brave soul was antifouling his Contessa at 6.00 am in freezing conditions before the tide came in.

Sunday was another great day. Flew down to Loch Ranza in a ridiculously fast time - must have averaged 6.5 knots- again started out with blue skies, though it gradually clouded over. With the fourth day of strong northerlies LochRanza was a bit bouncy. Had lunch on a mooring and then sped back to Largs on a fast reach.

Forecast had consistently been for winds to drop on Monday but winds seemed just as strong. Didn't fancy putting Fleur through a five hour pounding to windward and me and crew both had family events to get back for, so left Fleur in Largs to be picked up net weekend. Need to arrange a mooring to take her to as can't afford Rhu prices after 1st April. Got a few options to try out but in bed all day with the dreaded lurgy, picked up from the HR skipper. (so there is some justice - I'm definitely being punished for a great weekend!).

Fancy a trip on Fleur up to Rhu next weekend?


Hope the thread isn't too long and boring after a day comatose in bed I think I'm slightly delirious. :shiver

Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:38 pm
by Telo
JohnBuch wrote:Fancy a trip on Fleur up to Rhu next weekend?
Hmm, nice offer. Sounds a good idea, but could be weather dependent as we've just taken our oilies up to Shard at Balvicar. Don't know whether my old climbing gear would be up to it. Perhaps we can Skype later in the week, say Thursday?

Hope the cold disappears.....

Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:40 pm
by Gordonmc
I was due to launch from Fairlie Quay on Good Friday but the winds proved too high to use the crane for mast-stepping. The yard suggested trying first thing Saturday, so I got up there early.
The horses were still white in the Largs channel when I got to Fairlie with the Northerly blowing watery lumps into the pier and pontoons. Assured by the news the lumps would ease when the tide turned I did some last minute jobs as I waited for the tractor to haul me out of the shed. By early lunchtime... no tractor, so I wandered out to see what was up.
Just about everyone was on the pier trying to extracate a yacht, just launched, from under the pier. Apparently he had just got out of the slings when he lost power.
With the wind still a strong Northerly the only way he could get free was to go right under the pier through the piles.
It was about 14.00 before I got launched in an easing swell and got into Largs for the boom to go on. As my newly arrived crew and I started on the running rigging we got the CG forecast for F8 Northerly winds for Sunday. Right on the noze for the trip to the mooring. Great.
So off we toddled late Saturday to beat the gale.
The weather was not bad at all for the motor North and the dark, but by the time we got to Bannatyne Bay we were tired and I thought the motor was running rough. So we put the boat on the beach in Kames Bay to clear the strainer and to have a kip.
Next morning the sun was splitting the sky and the snow on the peaks made it picture perfect as we waited for the tide to float us off.
Just as the water started lapping around the stern a polis car stopped on the coast road and two of Strathclyde's finest walked out... and they weren't after a boiling of whelks.
After a quip about parking on a double yellow they made sure we were ok and went off with some details. I knew the CG66 registration would come in handy.
So about 10.00 we continued our trip up the East Kyle with the threat of F8's nowhere near materialising. The worst gusts were just off Caladh as I was on the foredeck pumping up the dinghy.
By the time we got to the mooring the sun was back out, wind dropped to a breeze and all was right with the world.
Just the mood-setter for scallops and black pud at the Colintraive before the Bute hop-scotch to the cars.