Carsaig Bay

Forum for general cruising topics
Telo
Admiral of the Red
Boat Type: Vancouver 34 Pilot

Carsaig Bay

Postby Telo » Sat Mar 18, 2006 3:23 pm

EDIT: Oops, can't find the "Delete" button - this was meant to be in reply to Claymore on a previous thread, and refers to the Carsaig Bay over the hill from Tayvallich.

Nice spot - haven't anchored on the north side, but sat out a gale for a couple days on the south side - narrow channel between two islets, Eilean Dubh and Eilean Traighe(?).

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Carsaig

Postby Nick » Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:39 pm

It's a truly crap walk ashore if you take the dinghy to the nearest land . . . we were oar powered when we were there, and made that mistake . . . you need to take the dinghy as far as you can.
- Nick 8)

claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Postby claymore » Sun Mar 19, 2006 1:37 am

There seems to be a multihull permanently moored on the South side plus some fish farm stuff so We've always stayed on the North side.
We nearly lost the Muzzy from this spot when he destroyed my rowlock on the dinghy
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

Telo
Admiral of the Red

Postby Telo » Sun Mar 19, 2006 1:48 am

There are two inlets on the south side - as far as I recall, the inner one (east) had a fishing boat and poss some fishfarmy stuff. The westerly inlet was deeper and reasonably sheltered from the SW winds - that's where we wuzz.

We laid two anchors, but cannae mind what the bottom was like.

DaveS
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Seastream 34

Postby DaveS » Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:07 am

I've had a couple of "interesting" incidents in Carsaig Bay.

On one occasion I was anchored in my previous boat (Etap 22) behind the island on the N side (northerly wind). My pal's E boat then rafted up to me. After returning from the pub a convivial evening followed. I awoke at 0430 with a feeling that something was wrong, and on sticking my head out the scenery looked decidedly different. We'd dragged almost to the other side of the bay, miraculously avoiding hooking the electricity cable. After disentangling ourselves, we re-anchored separately!

On another occasion, with SWMBO, same spot but in a west wind. Getting right into the harbour in the dinghy with the following wind was easy, but what about the row back? The dinghy was a fairly light Campari and one of us (exactly who became the subject later of some lively debate) had the brainwave that it should be possible to carry it over the headland to where it could be launched in the lee of the island. The resulting portage through chest high bracken took rather a long time and was not at all popular...

Telo
Admiral of the Red

Postby Telo » Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:40 am

DaveS wrote:On another occasion, with SWMBO, same spot but in a west wind. Getting right into the harbour in the dinghy with the following wind was easy, but what about the row back? The dinghy was a fairly light Campari and one of us (exactly who became the subject later of some lively debate) had the brainwave that it should be possible to carry it over the headland to where it could be launched in the lee of the island. The resulting portage through chest high bracken took rather a long time and was not at all popular...
Very good. :lol: And was it, by any chance, after this that you got into singlehanded sailing?

Anyway, what's a wage slave doing up at this time of the morning?

See you soon!

claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Postby claymore » Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:07 pm

The chest high bracken is a common phenomenon and an integral part of any excursion ashore by the bold Captain and Crew of Claymore. Being both diminutive of stature - chest high gets to us rather sooner than others.
Famous lines such as "I think that looks ok down there" are normally the herald of some lost world experience. Naturally when the venture is over both parties seem to go into denial over responsibility for the instigation of the ordeal.
I think our best one was where we dedided one hot and windless day to leave the boat in West Loch Tarbert Jura and walk to Craighouse. Silly annoying people both.
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

sahona
Admiral of the White
Boat Type: Marcon Claymore

Postby sahona » Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:39 pm

We've never met, Mr Claymore sir, but I am sure you are of perfect stature. If you were a giant you wouldn't be able to stand up straight in the wheelhouse of that classic gentlemans yacht. (far less visit the cludgie) . Fek the ferns - They're wrong.
As to Carsaig, we found it some years ago when there was a Vega moored just south of seal rock. We later went in to the north of seal rock in a 39' and could hardly turn round to get out. (reversing n/a)
One of our favourite places, and never missed if there's a chance.
http://trooncruisingclub.org/ 20' - 30' Berths available, Clyde.
Cruising, racing, maintenance facilities. Go take a look, you know you want to.

Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet
Boat Type: Hurley 22

Postby Silkie » Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:58 pm

Are you intending to read the entire archive Bill?
different colours made of tears

sahona
Admiral of the White

Postby sahona » Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:18 pm

Not sure what you mean, admiral sir.

little boy blue
Old Salt

Postby little boy blue » Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:07 pm

i think he is referring to the fact that your reply above was posted to a thread that petered out in march 2006 and,from that, assuming you are reading your way through all the old posts. nothing wrong with that, i do it myself, but you might wish to check the date of the last post on each thread before you commit to a post. :) hth :peace:

sahona
Admiral of the White

Postby sahona » Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:48 pm

The title caught my eye, and the list doesn't infer archive vs in-date, especially as an update 'surfaces' it, however, I will probably look at the date from now on (if I remember) Since you mentioned "archive", it prompted a read at the legacy, which looks as if it's still alive. Tears of laughter have ruined my laptop so I need to know how and who to sue.

sahona
Admiral of the White

Postby sahona » Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:50 pm

By the way LBB , did we meet at Ardrossan just after Steayban changed hands?

Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet
Boat Type: Hurley 22

Postby Silkie » Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:59 pm

I like to see the old ones re-surface; it's like bumping into a long lost friend. Bilbo holds the record with Jackstays - note the 4 years and 10 months gap prior to his first post on the thread. :)
different colours made of tears

Telo
Admiral of the Red

Postby Telo » Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:00 pm

sahona wrote:By the way LBB , did we meet at Ardrossan just after Steayban changed hands?
Don't know about LBB, but you certainly met Mme Shard and myself when Steayban/Sahona was on the hard.

EDIT: You probably also met Booby Trapper who was also onthe hard nearby.

Donald

Return to “Shooting the breeze”