It said my Switch card had an invalid number, so used M'Card. Accepted that, then send me two e-mails saying I had applied to join, but no invoice - so it would appear I am going to be billed twice but get no receipt.
Why do they bother having a website? This pile of merde has been under development for god knows how long and has no doubt lined the pockets of someone's 'very clever' nephew to the tune of several hundred subscriptions.
When I phoned them up I discovered that yes, two debits have been taken, but they could not tell me which cards. As the M'card was only used once it means that ONE of the Switch cards I tried was debited, but they cannot tell me which one.
As both of the Switch cards gave 'Invalid Number' errors I am alarmed that one was still processed. This is the worst e-commerce implementation I have come across in a long time.
Still, the mention of the M word by the 'developers' goes some way towards explaining things . . . sites developed using Microsoft 'technologies' always seem to have more problems than Linux/Apache based sites.
Next I thought I would fill in the Website Satisfaction Survey on the site. It said:
The form could not be submitted:
String or binary data would be truncated. The statement has been terminated.
For once, words fail me . . .