yot charter for CC08

Forum for general cruising topics
tcm
Old Salt

yot charter for CC08

Postby tcm » Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:12 pm

I have delegated sailbadthesinner to look for a boat so obviously, he's gone to ground and done sod all, presumably due to his wife giving him what for and getting him to mow the lawn or whatever.

Henyway, i have to identify a suitable vessel capable of easily beating a 40foot steel thingy with dodgy engine, massive heating capabilities, and with suitable accomodation for me, sailbad and also a possible visit from various Celtic dignitaries.

After about 0.003 seconds of google I have found Alba Sailing, in Oban. They seem to have some nice boats. Are they a very sound bunch with good repuitation, full of useful information and assistance, almost certain to provide a seaworthy vessel at the time agreed? Or are they a bunch of scheming slimy moneygrubbing gits, out to fleece you of the deposit with clever spoon-counting scams at the end of the charter?

Er also is Oban anywhere near where we want to be at the start? Mind you, the boats mite not be there i spose?...

Other suggestions gratefully received.

I will also consider renting giant sunseeker for the sunday, mainly to wind up webby.

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

So far so good . . .

Postby Nick » Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:30 pm

Alba's boats seem to be in very good nick - I have always thought of them as one of the more upmarket local companies. They have a Westerly Oceanlord and a Sealord, which would be my choice - but being a flash git I expect you will turn up in the Sun Odyssey 43DS - ideal for entertaining.

Not sure where you will get a Sunseeker for a day, but if you do we will all want a shot I expect. Of course, you will be banned from BlueMoment for the day :irony:
- Nick 8)

tcm
Old Salt

Re: So far so good . . .

Postby tcm » Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:40 pm

Nick wrote:.
Alba's boats seem to be in very good nick - I have always thought of them as one of the more upmarket local companies. They have a Westerly Oceanlord and a Sealord, which would be my choice - but being a flash git I expect you will turn up in the Sun Odyssey 43DS - ideal for entertaining.

Not sure where you will get a Sunseeker for a day, but if you do we will all want a shot I expect. Of course, you will be banned from BlueMoment for the day :irony:

blimey. I had indeed favoured the DS. However, mainly cos it looks a bit warmer with nice picture windows, not cos it is really "flash". Yes, honest.

EDIT: my reply above started with a less 50's word than "Blimey" tho also beginning with B. Jeez, webby, you're such a prude....
Last edited by tcm on Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet
Boat Type: Hurley 22

Postby Silkie » Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:49 pm

Alba are certainly the biggest in the right general area and are based at Dunstaffnage Marina. Nice people too although I've only ever been a chandlery customer.

Jimi chartered their Sadler 29 a few years ago and seemed happy enough. Foolsbrew, a septic visitor to this forum and these shores last year chartered said SO43DS, Eloise, and also seemed to enjoy the experience which he wrote up here.
different colours made of tears

tcm
Old Salt

Postby tcm » Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:55 pm

Silkie wrote:Alba are certainly the biggest in the right general area and are based at Dunstaffnage Marina. Nice people too although I've only ever been a chandlery customer.

Jimi chartered their Sadler 29 a few years ago and seemed happy enough. Foolsbrew, a septic visitor to this forum and these shores last year chartered said SO43DS, Eloise, and also seemed to enjoy the experience which he wrote up here.

ok EXCEPT i note he says he rowed ashore, dammit, so no outboard, bah. I will have to steal claysie's, somehow. Mind you he dint even use the dinghy last time aso wot the heck.

Nick
Admiral of the Blue

Postby Nick » Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:58 pm

However, mainly cos it looks a bit warmer with nice picture windows

In this neck of the woods being warm while sailing is generally considered flash . . . :rotfl:
- Nick 8)

Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet

Postby Silkie » Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:59 pm

Think the rowing ashore was after this incident:
We tried to break our dink's motor on the rocks of Inverie but managed to only lose the shear pin.

Rowana
Old Salt
Boat Type: Macwester Rowan 8 meter

Postby Rowana » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:06 pm

I heard somewhere that Alba had either changed hands recently, or is up for sale.

Any truth in this ??
BLESSED ARE THOSE WHO ARE CRACKED,
FOR THEY ARE THE ONES WHO LET IN THE LIGHT

stevepick
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Dufour 40

Postby stevepick » Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:33 am

Rowana wrote:I heard somewhere that Alba had either changed hands recently, or is up for sale.

Any truth in this ??

No indication of this last time I was in the "shop" ( 2 saturdays ago) - certainly not changed hands.

Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet

Re: yot charter for CC08

Postby Silkie » Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:54 pm

tcm wrote:capable of easily beating a 40foot steel thingy with dodgy engine...

Took me a while to get yer drift here. Please be aware that the vessel in question is 34' LOA, GRP and has a new noisemaker.

tcm
Old Salt

Re: So far so good . . .

Postby tcm » Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:11 am

Nick wrote:.

will all my texts get edited, yer nitwit?

Nick
Admiral of the Blue

It's magic . . .

Postby Nick » Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:22 am

It's not me, it's the autocensor.
- Nick 8)

tcm
Old Salt

Re: It's magic . . .

Postby tcm » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:26 am

Nick wrote:

It's not me, it's the autocensor.

er, but it's your autocensor innit?! Also you SilkiePoodle is being an autocensor as well.

claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Postby claymore » Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:14 pm

Mattiemelad
Tha's bein spokken to in Bratfud so'as tha'll unnerstan whats bein sed tu thi.
Don't be an arseytwat all thi life -wurk a five day week me lad an gi thissen a break
Appen as ow tha gets thisen up to Oban an amang them jockkies, tha'll be best advised by mesen to mind this mkanners now as them jockkies as fiersum memry's an will end up gi'in thee a letherin.
From thi owd pal
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

Mystique
Midshipman

Postby Mystique » Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:04 pm

Alba is up for sale - Ad in the last Yachting Monthly...
May you be touched by his noodly appendage

Return to “Shooting the breeze”