If you think we are contributing to global warming . . .

Forum for general cruising topics
Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

If you think we are contributing to global warming . . .

Postby Nick » Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:39 pm

Then I would urge to you please take the time to respond to the idiots on SB and in the Lounge who start these self-satisfied 'global warming is a myth because I found a page on the interweb that said so' threads, then back it up with technical arguments such as 'CO2 can't be a problem because I can't see it'
:ostrich ..................... :ostrich ..................... :ostrich
Problem is, 90% of the contributors to these threads are in agreement. We know that is only because the rest of us can't bear to waste time arguing with these lunatics, but the problem is that is sending out the wrong message to lots of people who read them.

So could I ask you please to take more time letting the (huge) audience on YBW see that these people do not represent the majority view in any way.
- Nick 8)

jim.r
SWS
Boat Type: Moody S38

given up

Postby jim.r » Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:16 pm

I've given up, despite posting reams of indisputable scientific facts and analysis proving the case the idiots just regurgitate "it ain't happening cos I don't beleive it." Ignoe them .. its just not worth it. In fact I beleive the days of getting a reasonable discussion/argument on SB are gone

Nick
Admiral of the Blue

I know it's dull but . . .

Postby Nick » Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:23 pm

If their 'arguments' aren't ever rebutted yet more stupid people may think they are right.

Maybe we should just have a list of stock replies (Sgeir's graphs are good) that we can just paste in when this happens.
- Nick 8)

jim.r
SWS
Boat Type: Moody S38

Re: I know it's dull but . . .

Postby jim.r » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:52 am

Nick wrote:If their 'arguments' aren't ever rebutted yet more stupid people may think they are right.

Maybe we should just have a list of stock replies (Sgeir's graphs are good) that we can just paste in when this happens.

Doubt it, their crass stupidity tells its own tale without getting embroiled in it. I posted a whole series of graphs a while ago whshowing the carbon emmissions from year dot by country and also correlation between various factors and temperature .. silenced them for about a week before they started harping on again

JamesFrance
Midshipman

Postby JamesFrance » Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:36 pm

As a long time YM reader I joined those forums expecting to read about yachts, cruising in particular.

As a newbie to Scuttlebutt I had the temerity to post that maybe the other stuff should be kept to the lounge. I was duly shot down in flames of course.

If I wanted to discuss global warming and politics I would be looking to join a political forum, as I do about living in France on one or two Anglo/French forums, computer security on Wilders, my Eriba caravan on the Eriba forum and so on.

I really cannot understand why so many folk join boating forums to fight amongst themselves.

Before reading the thread there I voted for 'argumentative s*ds and was not at all surprised to find that in second place.

I think I will keep to the Liveaboard section in future.

Telo
Admiral of the Red
Boat Type: Vancouver 34 Pilot

Doctor, Doctor......

Postby Telo » Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:06 pm

Couldn't help it.... they're on about Global Cooling now.......... I tried to stop myself, but.....

Booby Trapper
Old Salt
Boat Type: Jeanneau Attalia

Postby Booby Trapper » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:24 pm

Nick, you said you were not going to the other place, you obviously have been there today. Why do you want us to reply on your behalf?
I know this is your forum but we may not all support your views.
The oil will run out long before we have to worry about global warming.

Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet
Boat Type: Hurley 22

Postby Silkie » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:48 pm

Check the post dates Ian. Shard's a bit of a resurrectionist alongside his many other talents.
different colours made of tears

Booby Trapper
Old Salt
Boat Type: Jeanneau Attalia

Postby Booby Trapper » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:29 pm

Silkie wrote:Check the post dates Ian. Shard's a bit of a resurrectionist alongside his many other talents.

Thanks Dave. I do apologise :oops: , I should have checked before I dived in with both size tens and made an arse of myself. Still got my opinion on global warming though.

Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet
Boat Type: Hurley 22

Postby Silkie » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:44 pm

Booby Trapper wrote: Still got my opinion on global warming though.

I thought we'd decided to stick to saily(ish) stuff or at least to steer clear of the more contentious non-saily stuff.

Anyone thinking of buying a new anchor?
different colours made of tears

ash
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Moody 346

Postby ash » Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:54 am

Silkie wrote:Anyone thinking of buying a new anchor?

Not me - I think that my 7.5kg genuine Bruce is so good that I don't use the 10kg Bruce which I have in my cockpit locker.

Ash Tongue in Cheek

I'm sure that I read recently that the Rocna is vastly overrated. Start the stopwatch.
"This is a sailing Forum"
Albin Vega "Mistral" is now sold

Rowana
Old Salt
Boat Type: Macwester Rowan 8 meter

Postby Rowana » Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:42 am

Posted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:54 am

Are you on nightshift by any chance?

My anchor's fine, although I'm going to have to dip into the piggy bank fairly soon for a new chain, I think.

There is one particular bad link, and I'm wondering if I should just cut it out, and weld the 2 links either side together. Raising/lowering is handomatic, so I don't have to bother about gipsies and all that testicle stuff :!:
BLESSED ARE THOSE WHO ARE CRACKED,
FOR THEY ARE THE ONES WHO LET IN THE LIGHT

Nick
Admiral of the Blue

Hmmm

Postby Nick » Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:58 am

I know I have asked people to report bad links, but not much I can do here . . .

This is not the first time old posts have been drug up and people haven't noticed the date on the original post. Suffice it to say that the YBW Lounge is an excellent place to discuss global warming - especially if you don't want too many facts getting in the way of a good argument - but Shooting the Breeze is not, so we are not going to.

Are we?
- Nick 8)

Rowana
Old Salt
Boat Type: Macwester Rowan 8 meter

Re: Hmmm

Postby Rowana » Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:57 am

Nick wrote:.

This is not the first time old posts have been drug up and people haven't noticed the date on the original post. Suffice it to say that the YBW Lounge is an excellent place to discuss global warming - especially if you don't want too many facts getting in the way of a good argument - but Shooting the Breeze is not, so we are not going to.

Are we?

I shouldn't think we DARE discuss global warming here. However, if it produces fairly mild winters with not much of that 'orrible white stuff, then I'm all in favour,

Anyway, I was just following Silkie's lead in discussing anchors.

BTW, are colregs posts allowed? Some of these on TOP can get quite heated and amusing. Provided you just read and don't get involved, they can be very entertaining.

:D :D
BLESSED ARE THOSE WHO ARE CRACKED,
FOR THEY ARE THE ONES WHO LET IN THE LIGHT

Nick
Admiral of the Blue

Colregs

Postby Nick » Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:45 pm

Colregs posts are saily :sailing , so of course they are allowed. Fill your boots.
- Nick 8)

Return to “Shooting the breeze”