West Coast charts folio

Forum for general cruising topics
DaveS
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Seastream 34

Leisure Folio

Postby DaveS » Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:11 pm

Fully support plea for re-telling of grounding story! I am convinced there's something odd about the depth representations for Cuan - and the new chart claiming the channel to be 50m wide and 10m deep NE of the Cleit simply deepens (sorry!) the mystery. Now that I think of it, it may even have been a remark made by me on this subject which triggered last year's infamous rendition of the Cleit Rock story...

Returning to the (much more boring) original topic, and updating on my previous post, I have now bought a copy, and results are in line with expectations. Certainly if you haven't already got all the charts for this area I would recommend it unhesitatingly. If you already have them, then the case for purchase is maybe less convincing - but I have already spotted one or two places where the presentation is more "user friendly" than using either the conventional large or small scale charts. Oddly, Cuan is an exception with a change of charts required closer to the western entrance than using "conventionals". Real life use will presumably throw up some more pros and cons. One possible problem is that all charts are double sided (one reason for the great reduction in paper volume / weight) so I can imagine pencillings getting smudged more easily.

I unreservedly take back my previous comments on corrections. Not only does every sheet list the conventional sheets it's derived from, with their latest N to M correction numbers, but there's a separate website (http://www.admiraltyleisure.co.uk) with corrections for the Leisure Folios. This spits out a list of all corrections from issue to date - which saves lots of paper compared with the normal N to M "one per page" system.

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

It's a mystery . . .

Postby Nick » Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:07 am

Never seen more than 7m under the keel passing Cleit, even at the highest of Springs, and often down to 2+m at LW Springs (with 1.1m draft) - and I would say 25m wide max.

- Nick
- Nick 8)

claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Postby claymore » Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:45 pm

Never seen more than 7m.....

Its looking at instruments that can lead you to an awful lot of trouble in those parts. Might I humbly suggest that we stop all talk of looking at the depth and focus on looking at where we are in relation to the passing landscape and if heading home, can we remember not to turn left too soon.
Thank you
Out.
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

But . . .

Postby Nick » Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:55 pm

Most navigators come to grief by turning left too late on the way home surely . . .
- Nick 8)

claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Postby claymore » Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:57 pm

Nah - thats easy - you just bounce of the Cleit Rock - anyway it is said that you cannot hit it if you try as the tide washes you past.
Now what you really want to do is not wait until the east channel opens up - just get so as you are close to the cleit, and hang a big left then - quite exhilerating! :roll:
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

Return to “Shooting the breeze”