Chentleman's Cruise 2006

Forum for general cruising topics
Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet
Boat Type: Hurley 22

Whatever..

Postby Silkie » Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:12 pm

I've been checking my diary and it looks like I'm free on the Thursday anyway so using that to sail south wouldn't cost me any extra holiday and the centre of gravity of home ports is still most likely to be down your way.

If you plan to go NE that's fine by me too since I've not been up that way for a couple of years. After Port Appin the next anchorage-with-pub, AWP, is Ballachulish Bay. More AWP's further into Loch Leven (Fairwinds went in on her last (I think) sail of 2005 so I wonder what Nick thinks) but through Corran the next is at Fort William AFAIK.
different colours made of tears

claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Postby claymore » Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:47 pm

Sgeir has just let me know that he's planning to have his boat in the area as well. Think he's planning to be in that place where you turn right just before Airds bay - which for the life in me I cannot remember the name of - See, I knew it would happen if I just kept typing - Creran :?:
I think the problem with Arinagour and Colonsay at that time of the year is that its still quite cool and unsettled and there doesn't seem to be much point in flogging for hours to get somewhere just to flog all the way back again. I really enjoyed last years do because it had a bit of everything and we were able to meet up as a group after a few hours rather than ages and ages. I also feel some pressure not to do the same old thing again but to finish in Pullers is not a bad idea as you can get back north and we can get back south without much hassle - an wi sair heeds tha's no bad!
What do you think?
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

little boy blue
Old Salt

who`s yer crew then ?

Postby little boy blue » Sat Jan 07, 2006 9:09 pm

are the crew lists for this prestigous event closed ? or might there be an opening for a keen sailor who is aware of the difference between a malt and a blend ? if there is i might know someone who does and who is available.

claymore
Admiral of the Green

Postby claymore » Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:06 am

You're Welcome
Will you need a berth or are you using your own boat?
Regards
Claymore

Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet

Postby Silkie » Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:25 pm

claymore wrote:I think the problem with Arinagour and Colonsay at that time of the year is that its still quite cool and unsettled and there doesn't seem to be much point in flogging for hours to get somewhere just to flog all the way back again. I really enjoyed last years do because it had a bit of everything and we were able to meet up as a group after a few hours rather than ages and ages. I also feel some pressure not to do the same old thing again but to finish in Pullers is not a bad idea as you can get back north and we can get back south without much hassle - an wi sair heeds tha's no bad!
What do you think?

Sound thinking and PD makes an excellent final night for all sorts of reasons; central location as you say, good all-weather anchorage that can accomodate a large number of boats, the tolerant Miranda and Nick could walk home in the morning if Fairwinds is not in the water!

Looking forward to it.

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Walk home?

Postby Nick » Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:01 pm

Out of the question if I am in the same state in the morning as last year . . . a long bracing sail and I still barely rallied . . .
- Nick 8)

DaveS
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Seastream 34

Postby DaveS » Sun Jan 08, 2006 6:47 pm

I've finally got round to catching up on things (had hogmanay in France) and I now see that if I'd logged on to Bluemoment before YBW all would have been much clearer!

Yes, I'd like to participate, and I will try to practice the insomnia beforehand. Logistically, I've the same problem as last year - a meeting in London on the Thursday with the likelihood of not getting to Craobh till midnight. With a PM departure on Friday, though, no real probs. (I've never gone through Corryvreckin E to W - could be a first!)

DaveS
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Seastream 34

Postby DaveS » Sun Jan 08, 2006 6:54 pm

Having now read page 2 as well as page 1 (I really must take lessons in web navigation), I see that the Corryvreckin reference is probably irrelevent. As per last year, happy to take others.

claymore
Admiral of the Green

Postby claymore » Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:40 am

So
We seem to have the following at present
The Pope
Rip van Cumbernauld
Pilates Pete
Claymore

with the following crewlist
Little Boy Blue
Webcam
Para
Jamesie
LongJohnBaldie
Excox

ony mair - whit aboot they ladies?
Regards
Claymore

Telo
Admiral of the Red
Boat Type: Vancouver 34 Pilot

whit aboot thae ladies?

Postby Telo » Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:23 am

claymore wrote:ony mair - whit aboot they ladies?

Hmm. I'd better own up to being "accompanied" on this trip.

I really played things badly after after last year's Cruise, lying my head off about what a sober and serious bunch I was sailing with. Told her you were all really nice people. Since then she's also met Silkie and Superstrath who both actually fit that bill, ie well mannered and house-trained. She therefore thought she might want to enlarge her circle of nicely spoken and cultured sailors. She remains blissfully unaware of the incident at the House of the Trouserless.

What should I do? Own up, or just hope for the best?

Her job is quite taxing and she works to tight deadlines, so possible evasive action could be to suggest that as our boat will probably be the furthest north (Dallens Bay at Appin), it'll take at least two extra days to catch up with the rest of the fleet, especially Claymore who has been telling us all elsewhere that his motorised conservatory sails like fertiliser off a shovel.

Though I feel that Mme Shard needs to be protected from the sordid truth, I'm not very good at subterfuge and would feel guilty. Any other suggestions?

What is the spaces situation like? Although we have allegedly five berths (not counting the pilot berth), four is really the maximum for a long weekend. We could realistically take another two with us, but I've offered one of Wecam's crew a berth if Airwig is still motorless, and I'm giving Superstrath first call on the other berth - we owe him, having dossed down for the night in his Prout 39 superferry when it was impossible to return to Shard.

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

'Ladies'

Postby Nick » Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:58 pm

claymore wrote:ony mair - whit aboot they ladies?

As Shard has indicated, Hazard to Shipping is intending to work her passage wherever a berth is offered. Mrs Webcam may or may not come if Airwig is not ready for sea trials by this point. She will of course not be allowed to go in the event of being offered a berth when I am not . . .
- Nick 8)

claymore
Admiral of the Green

Postby claymore » Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:26 am

"She will of course not be allowed to go in the event of being offered a berth when I am not . . ."

Do we not get a say in this? :lol:
Regards
Claymore

Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet

Mair crew

Postby Silkie » Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:16 pm

Just off the 'phone with my old sailing buddy Kenny who would like to put his name forward for a berth on the CC. Like myself, he is the shy and retiring type and has asked me to make the initial request though he has promised to say a word or two later once he has overcome his natural reserve.

Kenny would be happy with any berth that may be offered though he really has first call on a Silkie berth. This is partly because I asked him to crew for me last year (which sadly fell through as you may remember) but mainly because he is Principal Anti-Fouling Consultant to the good ship Silkie i.e. I've never yet had to perform this important function myself (and don't particularly want to have to do it this year either!)

Naturally I am happy to leave all matters relating to berth allocation in the hands of our esteemed Cruise Director. If I may be permitted to update the list of runners and riders, purely with the aim of easing the administrative burden on the CD:

Vessels (berth estimates)

Avilion (3/4)
Claymore (5)
Shard (4)
Silkie(2/3 at a pinch)

Fairwinds (poss)

Crew

Kenny
Hazard to Shipping
Mrs Shard
Superstrath (poss)
Little Boy Blue (has he confirmed?)
Webcraft (prob)
Mrs Webcraft (poss)
Para
Jim
LJS
Excox (took me a while to figure that one out!)

Hope I've not forgotten anyone.

Superstrath
Able Seaman

Re: whit aboot thae ladies?

Postby Superstrath » Sat Jan 21, 2006 11:47 am

Shard wrote:I'm giving Superstrath first call on the other berth - we owe him.

Thanks. Settling the invoice would be more conventional.
I think I will be able to accept your offer, but it will be diary-dependent. Also our first racing weekend immediately before, so if I fail to keep it out of the barriers there might be emergency repairs to be done. Otherwise, I will try to keep the diary clear and look forward to it!

Return to “Shooting the breeze”