Postrage - An Everyday Tale of Forum Folk

Forum for general cruising topics
MacHurley22
Able Seaman

Postrage - An Everyday Tale of Forum Folk

Postby MacHurley22 » Sat Mar 19, 2005 10:49 pm

Jeez

Wha's like us, dam' few, an they're a' stark starin'

This was to have been a scathing and insightful condemnation of "post-mannerism" but I find I can't be bothered with the concentration required to put it in writing. Now, if we were face-to-face, propping up the same bar, I'd be talking a blue streak and laying it all off for you with passion and all the subtleties of the nuance, facial expression and body language that we all command without a second thought.

Aye, there's the rub.

I enjoy the stripped-down communication of the forum but a lot of folk (present company excepted, obviously) seem to find it a just a good excuse for a fight without having to shed real blood. Maybe I'm missing the point and this is half the fun.

Maybe I am just a sensitive wee soul and you really are all a bunch of nutters with computers. :?

Dave

Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet
Boat Type: Hurley 22

Re: Postrage - An Everyday Tale of Forum Folk

Postby Silkie » Sun Mar 20, 2005 10:29 pm

MacHurley22 wrote:...a lot of folk (present company excepted, obviously) seem to find it a just a good excuse for a fight without having to shed real blood.

Nah - it's just PST (pre-season tension) innit?

Telo
Admiral of the Red
Boat Type: Vancouver 34 Pilot

This cannot be!

Postby Telo » Thu Mar 31, 2005 4:23 pm

Have I missed something? Or has someone rattled Dave's cage?

MacHurley22
Able Seaman

You need to get out less NM

Postby MacHurley22 » Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:41 am

I said NM!

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Re: This cannot be!

Postby Nick » Fri Apr 01, 2005 1:18 am

Shard wrote:Have I missed something? Or has someone rattled Dave's cage?

I think it's ever since he was sniped on the Snurble grip-thribley . . .
- Nick 8)

MacHurley22
Able Seaman

Apologies

Postby MacHurley22 » Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:09 pm

Shard wrote: Or has someone rattled Dave's cage?

Yeah, sorry about that chaps.

I'd been sorely vexed by a (not particularly) vitriolic thread on YBW in which I had taken only a very minor part. I was just about to roll up my sleeves (at the end of page 1) when it suddenly seemed to me that participants (particularly antipodean ones) were taking up entrenched positions with a view to a square go. I was reminded of the Monty Python sketch "This is not an argument. It's just a series of contradictions." I'll not have quoted that correctly but you know what I mean.

Isn't life hard enough already?

Anyway, I vote Nick only allows "nice" people to post on Blue Moment. This'll probably be the last you'll hear from me then.

Telo
Admiral of the Red
Boat Type: Vancouver 34 Pilot

Ah, now I understand

Postby Telo » Fri Apr 22, 2005 4:27 pm

Thanks for the reminder Dave - I gave up on the anchoring thread early on as it was just becoming bad-tempered and bizarre. Oddly enough I was burnt off on a related issue in an earlier thread.

Anyway, the story goes that Sydney Goodsir Smith and Hugh MacDiarmid had taken a few afternoon drams and were walking down the old Embra High Street before it was tarted up.

There was some overhead shouting, and Smith looked up, fascinated by this argument going on between two women three sterrs up, and on opposite sides of the street.

After watching and listening for a few seconds, he turned to MacDiarmid and said "You know, these two will never agree about anything."

"How can you be so sure?" asked MacDiarmid.

"Because they're arguing from different premises."

Return to “Shooting the breeze”