In 1956

Forum for general cruising topics
claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

In 1956

Postby claymore » Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:10 am

My Dad took me on a trip round Scotland.
He had a Vauxhall victor and we stayed at the Prestwick Airport Hotel on the first night then the Regent Hotel on the second.After that we stayed by Loch Ness then down to Edinburgh and home
I was just wandering round the internet and had a look at the Oban Webcam and there is the hotel. My Dad would have been 117 last friday.
just saying.....
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

Aja
Old Salt
Boat Type: Moody 346

Re: In 1956

Postby Aja » Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:25 pm

Must have been a young dad when he had you....

...just sayin' :D

claymore
Admiral of the Green

Postby claymore » Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:04 pm

Lockdown seems to be forcing comedians to come out.... :moon:
xx
Regards
Claymore

Aja
Old Salt

Postby Aja » Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:34 pm

:tiphat:

Corona
Able Seaman
Boat Type: Moody S31

Postby Corona » Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:46 am

In 1959 I was living in digs in Mansfield, the landlady's spoilt son was given a new Norton motorbike and I agreed we would spend the Easter weekend exploring Scotland, we had a couple of ex. army capes that we used to fashion a bivvy to sleep under and some sort of primitive stove. We took turns to drive and it was quite a rapid trip and I only remember snatches of it, set off for Glasgow then northward, I remember crossing the Connel railway bridge on timbers laid between the railway tracks, we used some ferries across lochs but I do not recall where, I do remember Glencoe, Loch Ness and the granite buildings as we rode south through Aberdeen. Monday night and we were back in England heading south on the A1, I was sound asleep on the back when the driver fell asleep too, woke up tumbling along a hedge with a lighthouse flashing at me, turned out to be the headlight of the rotating bike, now lying on its side about 100yds. down the road with the traffic still flying past on either side, I had lost one leg of my breeks and there was a lot of blood from the abrasions. We eventually got the bike in to the side of the road, climbed through the hedge and got in our sleeping bags until dawn, we stopped at a transport cafe for breakfast and I managed to wash some of the blood off, the bike was just about rideable but quite scuffed with bent levers etc. If you are going to fall off a motorbike I recommend doing it while asleep, much less traumatic than on any of the other occasions.
I think exploring Scotland deserved a bit more time than we had allowed it.

claymore
Admiral of the Green

Postby claymore » Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:22 pm

I never had a bike that would run so long without conking!
When we used to ride up to Glencoe we travelled through Glasgow and our hearts were always in our mouths that we'd make it through without a breakdown, such was the reputation of the place.
Regards
Claymore

Aja
Old Salt

Postby Aja » Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:21 pm

My first bike. Honda CG125 was Ultra reliable apart from being a bit slow but was a great wee bike and passed my test on it first time (already passed my car test in school uniform).

Second bike was a Honda 400N Superdream. Not as reliable as the 125 but still capable.

Last bike was a Suzuki TS100 trail bike which was road legal (just) but amazing of road and down on the shore at Kames.

I would buy a wee trail bike again if I was allowed to.

Sorry forgot my first powered bike which I used to go back and forward to work on was a Honda 50 moped. Ah the memories of going to Tighnabruaich racing for the day and then getting back to Glasgow via A and B roads at a ridiculous time at night.
Donald

Corona
Able Seaman

Postby Corona » Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:51 pm

At the time I did the Grand Tour of Scotland on the fancy Norton I had just passed my test on the first bike I owned, It was a 200cc side valve Ariel Colt on which I had spent a couple of weeks wages, about £40, we used it for expeditions to the Peak District but once we got to the hilly bits it was better to park it somewhere and hike.The owner of the Norton was still on L plates, there were no capacity restrictions then. I sometimes visited my older brother in Kings Lynn at weekends, it could manage that because Lincolnshire is so flat.
I once attempted a trip home to Omagh on it, it gave up as we crossed the watershed in Yorkshire but I managed to get it to coast to Heysham, I got off the boat in Belfast and it would still not go, I pushed it with all my wordly goods across the city to Gt. Victoria St. Station and we finished the journey by train, It was willing but just did not like long gradients. Eventually I managed to trade it in to a farmer who had a sideline selling bikes, I got a 350 AJS which could manage to get me anywhere. After that I was living back in N.I. where a series of bikes kept me mobile and took me to a different road race every summer Saturday, until I received the ultimatum in 1969, at the time she accepted boats as an substitute, but is starting to get a bit uppity about them now too..

claymore
Admiral of the Green

Postby claymore » Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:41 pm

1) BSA Bantam
2) Ariel 350
3) Cotton Trials Bike (Villers 9e engine)
4) Brush with own mortality
5) Morris 1000
Regards
Claymore

Corona
Able Seaman

Postby Corona » Fri May 01, 2020 12:03 pm

Back in the sixties many rural Catholic churches in N.I. had a building fund, one of their fund raising efforts on summer nights involved 'grass track racing' the track usually consisted of two narrow mountainy fields with part of the stone wall separating them removed at each end, so the track was a tight oval. I stripped down and converted a 350 BSA Gold Star roadster with a narrow petrol tank I moulded from GRP (my first effort with that material) knobbly tyres and lowered gearing. It went off the line very quickly but usually deposited me on the track at the first bend (while most of the wall was removed the ground level either side was variable) where I was assaulted by the assortment of two strokes coming behind. Later I had a half share in a 250 Greeves which was a good deal more suitable but not a lot less scary. The meetings were unlicensed but sometimes Club riders used to turn up from Belfast or Co. Down riding under assumed names with disguised racing numbers. You paid an entry fee and the prizes were cash, usually totalled over all the evenings races, it was never big but As I never saw any of it it did not matter. It was amusing that the parish priest in his black outfit usually presided over the event, controlling everything.
A restored Gold Star today retails for between 10 and £25k.

Return to “Shooting the breeze”