As I Write

Forum for general cruising topics
claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

As I Write

Postby claymore » Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:32 pm

I ought to be sat in a 'GoMassif' minibus being trundled up the hill to Flaine - just in time for Dinner in the hotel, Dear Heart and Grandchildren all happy and smiling and filled with excitement and the hopes and promises of a great week skiing together

Just saying.....
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

BlowingOldBoots
Old Salt
Boat Type: Rival 41C

Re: As I Write

Postby BlowingOldBoots » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:19 pm

It could have ended in heartbreak, with hindsight saying it was not worth it. That could be how to think about it. There will be other winters to go skiing.
BlowingOldBoots

What time does the 24hour garage close?
http://www.rivalowners.org.uk

wully
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: sailie boatie

Postby wully » Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:45 am

Cheer up - you could have been stuck in Tasty Pastry Land..

Ye’d have been a rite greetin’ face then.

claymore
Admiral of the Green

Postby claymore » Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:16 pm

True enough, both of you.
Time to play Josef Locke singing 'Count your blessings'
Wullyum
Come out of the docks in Esbjerg, bear slightly right then take the left up into the town. Just down there on the right is the best pastry shop in the land, on the corner of the street that goes up to the right where all the shops are.
Not only are the pastries superb, the wee lassie behind the counter almost beats Katya Adler to my vote for 'crumpet of the year'
almost.....
Regards
Claymore

wully
Yellow Admiral

Postby wully » Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:59 pm

Just a couple of hundred meters from my old office - at the bottom of Kongensgade, the walking street.

Just where I came off my bike one winters morning on the way to work..woke up on the cobbles with 3 concerned Danes leaning over me :lol:

DaveS
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Seastream 34

Postby DaveS » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:36 pm

I like Flaine. I think that the lift going up the convex top of the hill until suddenly Mt. Blanc and all the rest rise up into view is one of finest revelations anywhere.

claymore
Admiral of the Green

Postby claymore » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:26 am

Absolutely - I love it - we thought about buying an apartment there around 35 years ago - current situation makes this the only time I'm glad we didn't!
We probably could have bought one by now anyway with all the money we've spent there!
Regards
Claymore

wully
Yellow Admiral

Postby wully » Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:18 am

We looked at buying an apartment in Val D’Isere when I was spending most of the winters there but it simply wasn’t worth it - even doing average 22 weeks a season.
There is a lot of cost involved all year round that isn’t apparent. There are also loads of places for sale from people who hadn’t done their homework or got bored with the same place. You don’t see all the for sale signs because they aren’t allowed.Some places were not even completely legal..or had permitted right of way access to the property - one person only found out he couldn’t even open a window without infringing on his neighbours land, never mind actually getting to the front door...

Luckily we knew locals or seasonaires who were ‘in with the bricks’ that could find out all the background info and give a true cost of owning.

Renting by the season is a far better way.

Return to “Shooting the breeze”