How to get launched?

Forum for general cruising topics
mm5aho
Old Salt
Boat Type: Rival 32

How to get launched?

Postby mm5aho » Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:26 pm

The yard where Contender lies, out on the hard, mast off, have just advised that launchings are suspended meantime. So my idea of self (immolation) [typo] self isolation, aboard cruising the west coast somewhere they don't prevent landings ashore, seems to have been postponed.
There's almost no sailing events still on the calendars, and more cancellations expected soon, to make it a completed list. So, that means having to decide where to sail to. If only there was a boat afloat to sail in!
Are all yards doing the same?
Geoff.
"Contender" Rival 32: Roseneath in winter, Mooring off Gourock in summer.

wully
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: sailie boatie

Re: How to get launched?

Postby wully » Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:31 pm

Is the yard shut? Seems strange they are not launching.

Luckily we got in the water yesterday...

mm5aho
Old Salt
Boat Type: Rival 32

Postby mm5aho » Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:10 am

Yard not shut, just not allowing any customers in during the hours they are there. So I can finish the preparations on weekends, but they're not launching any boats.
I read somewhere that Spain and France have banned leisure boating. I cannot think why they'd do that? Surely having people at sea keeps them isolated even better.
Geoff.
"Contender" Rival 32: Roseneath in winter, Mooring off Gourock in summer.

Burst Boiler
Able Seaman
Boat Type: Bavaria

Postby Burst Boiler » Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:41 am

I'm probably in the same yard as you since I got a similar email. If they don't want customers infecting their staff, I wonder if they would launch you onto one of their buoys, and you could then dinghy out and take it from there. Its early days yet, I wasn't planning on launching until around Easter, but I'm happy to prepare for a later start to the season if it comes to it.

While I like to think of myself holed up anchored at the burnt isles while it all blows over, I can realistically only manage 7-10 days before running out of water.

wully
Yellow Admiral

Postby wully » Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:23 pm

Catching rain water must be a plan fraught with success in Scotland...

BlowingOldBoots
Old Salt
Boat Type: Rival 41C

Postby BlowingOldBoots » Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:39 am

Ardfern are actively encouraging everyone to their yard, local shop and cafes and advertising that it is business as usual. You can make of that what you want. Some take the virus issue more seriously than others. I am likely shut down for a long time as my yacht will probably not get launched. I have more respect for the yard that is protecting it's workers, than one that thinks it is controlling the spread rate by cleaning the toilets more often.
BlowingOldBoots

What time does the 24hour garage close?
http://www.rivalowners.org.uk

BlowingOldBoots
Old Salt

Postby BlowingOldBoots » Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:43 am

mm5aho wrote:Yard not shut, just not allowing any customers in during the hours they are there. So I can finish the preparations on weekends, but they're not launching any boats.
I read somewhere that Spain and France have banned leisure boating. I cannot think why they'd do that? Surely having people at sea keeps them isolated even better.

But they are not at sea all the time, they have to come back in, they may also head to sea with the virus which could them become more complicated to manage. I think as part of the pandemic controls, banning unnecessary boat movements is reasonable, at the appropriate time.
BlowingOldBoots

Aja
Old Salt
Boat Type: Moody 346

Postby Aja » Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:24 pm

Response from James Watt Dock today

"Good morning,

Following several days of consultation we have today made the difficult decision to close the marina office to all of our customers, contractors and visitors. This measure will take effect from 5pm this afternoon and will be in place until such time as we are confident that we can return to normal service. The office team will continue to deal with the day to day administration as will the night security team, however, there will need to be some adjustments made to some of the services that we provide you with. The marina, boatyard and undercover storage will remain fully accessible for now but we will continue to keep this under review.

Marina Office

There will be no access to the marina office under any circumstance for all customers, contractors and visitors from 5pm on Friday 20th March 2020.
Collection of keys or items in storage must only be pre-arranged by telephone or email.
No arrangements should be made for any mail or parcels to be delivered to the marina office. Any special arrangements must be made by request.
Payments of fees or for services will only be taken by telephone or by bank transfer. We will not be accepting cash payments until further notice.

Caravan and Motorhomes

We will continue to provide the service of having customer caravans and motorhomes moved out of storage for collection based on a request being made no later than 24hrs before the collection time, however, when returning the vehicle, access will be restricted to the secure parking area on the centre quay where the vehicle will remain for 48hrs before being moved back into undercover storage by a marina operative. There is no option available for customers to move vehicles back into storage by themselves.
Collection of keys for vehicles should be made in advance by contacting the marina office by telephone or email. Details for collection will be confirmed at this time.
Should your vehicle require connection to an electricity supply, please contact the marina office and we will have this carried out by a marina operative.

Undercover Storage

Undercover storage will remain accessible for now, however, I would ask that you respect the government advice relating to social isolation and distance yourself from other users.
Should any vessels need to be removed from storage, please contact the marina office at least 24hr in advance. We will continue to provide the service of having customer vessels moved out of storage for collection based on a request being made no later than 24hrs before the collection time, however, when returning the vessel, access will be restricted to the secure parking area on the centre quay where the vessel will remain for 48hrs before being moved back into undercover storage by a marina operative. There is no option available for customers to move vessels back into storage by themselves.
Should your vessel require connection to an electricity supply, please contact the marina office and we will have this carried out by a mrina operative.

Boatyard

The boatyard will remain accessible for now, however, I would ask that you respect the government advice relating to social isolation and distance yourself from other users.
The boatyard team will be contiuing to work to schedule with Spring launches and I would urge you to please leave them to work in isolation. Any bookings for re-launch or questions regarding boatyard operations should not be made directly to any marina operative and instead be made by contacting the marina office by telephone or email.
No customers should be present during any craning operations . Following a vessel being launched it will be moved to the approporiate berth by a marina operative when customers can then freely attend. Any special arrangements for attendance during craning operations should be agreed in advance with either myself or Dom Todd.

We are aware that by putting in place these measures there will be an element of inconvenience to you but I am confident that you will understand why we have had to do so. If you wish to discuss any of these measures, or indeed, anything related to the current siuation and how it may be affecting your plans for the 2020 season, please contact me by telephone or email.

We will continue to review the marina operations on a daily basis and keep you well informed of any further decisions.

Thank you in advance for your support at this time

Kindest regards
Graeme

Graeme Galbraith
Marina Manager

T: +44 (0) 1475 729 838
M: +44 (0) 7505 119 026
E: graeme.galbraith@jwdmarina.co.uk
W: www.jameswattdockmarina.co.uk

Follow James Watt Dock Marina on Facebook and Twitter f_logo-3 Twitter link

Description: cid:4CF1979C-BDF7-4249-88FE-FD38B3A5120C

James Watt Dock Marina . The Sugar Warehouse . James Watt Dock . East Hamilton Street . PA15 2UA

This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual named. Our company accepts no liability for the content of this email, or for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided. Please note that any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the company. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. If you are not the intended recipient you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error please notify the system manager or the sender immediately and delete this e-mail from your system. E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. The sender therefore does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this message or any damage caused by any virus, which arise as a result of e-mail transmission. The recipient should check this email and any attachments for the presence of viruses."

Donald

claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Postby claymore » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:45 am

BlowingOldBoots wrote:Ardfern are actively encouraging everyone to their yard, local shop and cafes and advertising that it is business as usual. You can make of that what you want. Some take the virus issue more seriously than others. I am likely shut down for a long time as my yacht will probably not get launched. I have more respect for the yard that is protecting it's workers, than one that thinks it is controlling the spread rate by cleaning the toilets more often.

That's a bit harsh on Ardfern - their actual statement implies that they are watching what is a developing situation and will respond and alter arrangements as necessary and as advised

We will keep monitoring these guidelines and the daily changing situation and will of course implement what ever else we are asked to do in order to protect all who work or visit Ardfern during this ever-changing and challenging period.

At the time of writing there have been no confirmed cases of the virus in the Argyll area and we politely ask that if you are feeling unwell please postpone your visit to the area until you are feeling better or have self isolated for up to 14 days as per Government guidelines.

Its tricky enough - I think we should lay off criticising anyone for their actions or policies because this really is management on the hoof.
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Postby Nick » Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:39 pm

I think those slow to shut down now will come in for severe criticism when this first spike gets out of hand.

Which it is going to.

We have Avy-J on a mooring, but not sure if we will get to sail her this year. Logic says that trips out to anchor overnight in the Black Isles are n not putting anyone at risk, but of course we are another potential call on emergency services, even if we don't call them.

Work on Fairwinds seems less than vital right now.
- Nick 8)

skua164
Midshipman
Boat Type: Rustler 24

Postby skua164 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:57 pm

Kilmelford are launching (when they get the rails repaired that is).

Access to the office is not allowed which is a sensible measure.

claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Postby claymore » Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:38 pm

skua164 wrote:Kilmelford are launching (when they get the rails repaired that is).

Access to the office is not allowed which is a sensible measure.

Any measure which reduces your opportunity for contact with David has to be a sensible one :mrgreen:
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

wully
Yellow Admiral

Postby wully » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:16 pm

The yards seem busy with folk working on their boats, dunno where they are all staying or what they are going to do since the pubs and eateries are all closed. Wish they’d all eff off home TBH.

The thing is - we are all going to get it sooner or later. Some of us really badly, most of us not so bad.

How long before one of those arseholes who’ve arrived here in droves in motorhomes and caravans call 999?

How long after that until some eejit is squealing on 16 for the RNLI to take them from some anchorage to hospital in Oban?

Will that clown Boris lock everyone down before we get that far?

BlowingOldBoots
Old Salt

Postby BlowingOldBoots » Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:32 pm

wully wrote: ........ Will that clown Boris lock everyone down before we get that far?

Probably after, if form is anything to go on.
BlowingOldBoots

aquaplane
Admiral of the White Rose
Boat Type: Jeanneau Espace

Postby aquaplane » Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:42 am

I have written this year off. Not expecting to do any sailing before August and probably not after then.
Seminole.
Cheers Bob.

Return to “Shooting the breeze”