Another Dilemma

Forum for general cruising topics
marisca
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Contessa 32

Another Dilemma

Postby marisca » Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:40 pm

Vaguely serious and I doubt you will help resolve it but here goes ........
I am nearly 73 years old, have survived nearly 5 years since the medics whipped my prostate out but they didn't get it all, got a metal knee last winter, and do most of my sailing single handed though there are fully crewed events as well. 12 years ago I got a liferaft which has now reached the age where annual services are required.
Do I?
  1. Service it annually ~£310
  2. Buy a new yin ~£1100 + £310 every 3 years (It's that or a new sprayhood and I need a new sprayhood)
  3. Rent one for the races I need it for ~£200 per month
  4. Check it myself by inflating/weighing cylinder/repacking (could be a challenge)
  5. Give up sailing and sell the boat

pagoda
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Jeanneau 42iPerformance

Re: Another Dilemma

Postby pagoda » Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:47 pm

Same liferaft problem.

6 person canister raft, now wanting annual £300 check-up..... I used to think the 3-yearly fee was costly, but once a year? extortionate?

marisca
Yellow Admiral

Postby marisca » Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:17 pm

The break-even point between annual servicing and a new raft is about 4 years down the line but I have a cynical suspicion that come the 13th year my existing raft will be condemned as unserviceable. Rental would cover me for 1 race e.g. SIPR but not for Round Mull or other meanders in rock strewn waters. I better have a chat with my oncologist and see if he'll give me the odds on >4 years. On the other hand, if I don't spend it now what am I waiting for?

mm5aho
Old Salt
Boat Type: Rival 32

Postby mm5aho » Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:48 pm

I've pondered that dilemma too, even if you are a few years ahead of me in the actuarial calculations!
£1100 to buy new and lasts say 11 years.
Service at 3 years first 6 years then annual after? That's perhaps 7 or 8 services in 11 years.
£1100 + £310 x 8 = £3580. Over 11 years =£325/yr
Could join a club for that. Or buy a new sail every 3-4 years, or a nice instrument, or...

With my previous raft, I had a go at unpacking and inspecting. It was interesting to see how it worked, what was in there etc. But what a job to get it back in the bag! It was a valise type, and even with what might be thought easier to re-pack it was extremely difficult and required vacuum deflating, and vacuum packing in the inner bag. One thing I did learn was a new brand of seasick tablets that work well and for 24 hours, and have used those for various crew at times with better results than other chemistries tried.
Geoff.
"Contender" Rival 32: Roseneath in winter, Mooring off Gourock in summer.

claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Postby claymore » Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:27 pm

Do the organisers of the races you are proposing to enter, insist on liferafts being carried. I'm surprised that you would need one for the Round Mull.
Perhaps just borrow one might be an option - there are loads tied to boats in Ardfern. You could either borrow it officially where beer changes hands or borrow one unofficially in which case it might not.... :shake:
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

marisca
Yellow Admiral

Postby marisca » Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:06 pm

Not necessary but given my propensity for rock bumping, probably a good idea. There are other races that prescribe a raft but I take your point.

marisca
Yellow Admiral

Postby marisca » Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:05 pm

mm5aho wrote:I've pondered that dilemma too, even if you are a few years ahead of me in the actuarial calculations!
£1100 to buy new and lasts say 11 years.
Service at 3 years first 6 years then annual after? That's perhaps 7 or 8 services in 11 years.
£1100 + £310 x 8 = £3580. Over 11 years =£325/yr
Not quite that bad. Servicing every 3 years until 18 years old (Seago) but the material guarantee is only for 12 years. So only 3 services in 12 years (unless you use it) gives ~£2100 total or £175 a year. Another 2 services to get to 18 years gives £3100 or £172 per year.
The liferaft is just one of the many things I pay for and never want to use - EPIRB, lifejackets, flares, dan-buoys, throw line, 2nd anchor, spare everything but I would be loathe to be without them all.

Yotter
Able Seaman

Postby Yotter » Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:18 am

Alternatively, to save some pennies why not consider going for a lower spec liferaft. Unless you are coded for charter work etc and not going far off shore, what about a non ISO lifetraft. There are plenty of 4 man rafts for under £600 or around £700 for a 6 man.

Return to “Shooting the breeze”