Am I allowed to luff?

Forum for general cruising topics
marisca
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Contessa 32

Am I allowed to luff?

Postby marisca » Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:50 pm

Motoring back to JWD last night the Ali Cat was approaching from behind as I neared Kempock Point. Having explained to my novice crew that "overtaking boat keeps clear" and that I was maintaining my course and speed to avoid confusing the driver, the ferry aimed for my stern and squeezed through between me and the shore giving me about 15m clearance while still maintaining its wash churning 10.2kts (ain't AIS wonderful?). The temptation to close the door when its intentions became obvious was strong.

Burst Boiler
Able Seaman
Boat Type: Bavaria

Re: Am I allowed to luff?

Postby Burst Boiler » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:37 pm

At least you saw him coming. I've had him come out of Gourock, blind to any traffic coming upriver, right across my bow. I suspect he has a schedule which is impossible to keep to without hammering at full speed in as direct a course as possible, but it definitely has the worst seamanship of any commercial craft I've ever encountered. Theres also something strange about the wake that particular craft produces - a single sharp line from each hull that doesn't seem to decay. First time it hits you is a real surprise. Have you thought of reporting to Maritime CHIRP? If you do it quick enough his data recorder (showing your ais position) should still be there.

mm5aho
Old Salt
Boat Type: Rival 32

Postby mm5aho » Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:54 pm

I've had a silly experience in that vicinity too.
I went to the aid of a mobo in difficulty about 1/2 mile NW of Cloch. He did get his engine going, but I was not confident that it would keep running, so I agreed by radio (C16 so ferry could hear) to standby him until he was sure.
Western Ferry calls me to say I'm in the way of commercial traffic, and to clear off (or words to that effect).
I refrained from the reply that came to mind, and calmly explained my activity. No reply!
Geoff.
"Contender" Rival 32: Roseneath in winter, Mooring off Gourock in summer.

marisca
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Contessa 32

Postby marisca » Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:31 pm

I have always found Western Ferries to be considerate and their stately washless motion is a huge contrast to the tsunamis that follow the Argyll Ferries. But then I didn't park in front of them :D

mm5aho
Old Salt
Boat Type: Rival 32

Postby mm5aho » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:58 pm

Quite right about the wake. Those hulls must be made to go faster or something, but the Calmac babies (ex Argyll Ferries) are ridiculous. Western seem much more business-like.
Geoff.
"Contender" Rival 32: Roseneath in winter, Mooring off Gourock in summer.

Return to “Shooting the breeze”