Page 1 of 1

I know who this is!

Posted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:53 pm
by marisca

Re: I know who this is!

Posted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:08 pm
by wully
I know nothing of the actual circumstances but couldn’t he sail in?

Re: I know who this is!

Posted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:25 pm
by mm5aho
Boat looks about 32ft. What's the burgee?
Flat bow, blue antifoul, blue dodger,... think I've seen that somewhere about.

Re: I know who this is!

Posted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:20 pm
by marisca
I believe he was sailing and intending to spend the night out but the Portree boat was on exercise and the offer was made and accepted.

Re: I know who this is!

Posted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:24 pm
by ash
Needs a "stealth" switch on the AIS box!!

Ash

Re: I know who this is!

Posted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:50 am
by marisca
I believe he has but that might have caused distress to his nearest and dearest.

Re: I know who this is!

Posted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:52 am
by Shuggy
Any clues for the uninformed?

Re: I know who this is!

Posted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:15 am
by Nick
Shuggy wrote:Any clues for the uninformed?


http://www.theskyetimes.co.uk/index.php ... cht-rescue

Re: I know who this is!

Posted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:37 pm
by cpedw
marisca wrote:I believe he was sailing and intending to spend the night out but the Portree boat was on exercise and the offer was made and accepted.

Would you have us believe that you offered your services to the RNLI as a practice casualty?

Re: I know who this is!

Posted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:50 pm
by claymore
Glad you are safe.

Re: I know who this is!

Posted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:51 pm
by marisca
cpedw wrote:Would you have us believe that you offered your services to the RNLI as a practice casualty?

Not quite, I was very pleased to see them but they did have a new crewman on board for his first training sail who got a lot more than he expected.

The problem was a clear plastic Fish Food bag round one blade of the prop. Shook everything. And without the donk anchoring in that wind did not seem a good idea. I was never in any danger other than being towed.

Re: I know who this is!

Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:28 am
by Shuggy
Glad all is well. Looks a bit punchy in the pics. Drink in WHYW? Sarah’s cocktail locker is open!

marisca wrote:
cpedw wrote:Would you have us believe that you offered your services to the RNLI as a practice casualty?

Not quite, I was very pleased to see them but they did have a new crewman on board for his first training sail who got a lot more than he expected.

The problem was a clear plastic Fish Food bag round one blade of the prop. Shook everything. And without the donk anchoring in that wind did not seem a good idea. I was never in any danger other than being towed.

Re: I know who this is!

Posted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:13 pm
by spuddy
RNLI have assisted two friends of mine in the last couple of months. One was heading for the Jester start but engine failed with headwind conditions. I was waiting for a rendezvous with him in Eastbourne and in touch via phone. He's no snowflake and has done thousands of miles including Atlantic circuit. I asked about marina workboat towing him through lock but it is not allowed to leave the breakwaters so advice was to call coastguard and get pull from RNLI. He sailed to within a few miles of Eastbourne but Lifeboat went out and picked him up rather than wait until he was closer in. No snootiness or accusations at all. Comments were that MCA would like to be informed of potential problems early so they can monitor, liase and plan. Plenty of spare crew and them as went out were the lucky ones.
Coming back from the Jester another friend (and another solid, self-reliant type) had strong headwinds off the Scilly Isles, called a PAN PAN and out came the RNLI to tow.
My impression is that RNLI glad to have the practice (and a bit of publicity). Also that sustained tough conditions in coastal areas, especially if single-handed, are much more challenging than armchair warriors recognise.
Also glad to report that both tows were at sensible speeds - not the 10 or 12 knots that I've heard of in the past.