Is My Knox Broken?

Forum for general cruising topics
marisca
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Contessa 32

Is My Knox Broken?

Postby marisca » Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:22 pm

Anchored last night in the Otter Pool. Previously, with my trusty Chinese copy CQR copious quantities of mud came aboard when I hoisted the thing. This time with a Knox it came up almost completely clean. I hadn't budged since I dropped the thing so presumably it works but there's something wrong, isn't there?

aquaplane
Admiral of the White Rose
Boat Type: Jeanneau Espace

Re: Is My Knox Broken?

Postby aquaplane » Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:15 pm

:) My Knox had mud on when I got it aboard at Ardminish this morning. I thought I was in sand!
Never budged apart from the 90° change in wind direction, 15m chain in 3m water :D
Seminole.
Cheers Bob.

mm5aho
Old Salt
Boat Type: Rival 32

Postby mm5aho » Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:07 pm

Yes, that sounds like a serious problem. A serious anchor should retrieve at least 400kg of seabottom when you weight it, along with a cubic metre of weed and otjer rubbish.
I anchored overnight in Airds Bay (F7-8 northerly). We ranged about 10m either side of the directly down wind position according to GPS measurements, but on weighing, the anchor seemed stuck fast. WE took in as much chain as we could, It was about vertical and still holding (5m depth). Just sat like that for a few minutes and it came free, but failed to bring home much mud and sand. Rather poor I thought!
Geoff.
"Contender" Rival 32: Roseneath this winter, Gourock in summer.

BlowingOldBoots
Old Salt
Boat Type: Rival 41C

Postby BlowingOldBoots » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:55 am

Clearly you are not doing it right! Anchored with my 18kg Knox in Loch Spelve, just north of the fish farms in the NW corner. The bottom is mud. Not that windy but did I bring up a bucket full of mud on the chain and another on the anchor. What a mess! Last anchorage at Tinkers Hole saw the boat swing with the tide, sand bottom, wind gusting about a F4 in the anchorage, no issues, once and clean.

However, when I first used it at Kames Bay, west of Port Bannatyne, again mud, not a drop came up, obviously as a first time user I did it wrong.
BlowingOldBoots

What time does the 24hour garage close?
http://www.rivalowners.org.uk

Return to “Shooting the breeze”