SIPR 2019

Forum for general cruising topics
mm5aho
Old Salt
Boat Type: Rival 32

Re: SIPR 2019

Postby mm5aho » Tue May 21, 2019 8:38 pm

We were pleased to complete again, after several retirements. Good runners makes a lot of difference, but runners who don't get seasick makes ALL the difference!
We gained some and lost some at times. At times we sailed past a bunch of stationary boats, and at others they sailed past us! Tides played a few games, with adverse currents where there should not be, and helpful where they should not be. But the low windspeeds might have been to our advantage, as when there was a breath, those others overtook us (as they should against the slowest boat in the fleet). But when there was a chance to exercise some local knowledge, and eke something from apparently windless skies, (assisted by my giant oars), we gained a few places.
Lost a few right at the end, when we washed our spinnaker in the sea, lost the halyard which then fouled the furler, meaning we had to complete the last mile under main only. :oops:
I suspect the YB trackers were on 30 min updates, as they showed a few anomolies at times. And their placing was wrong. Looking for the tracker closest to the finish line, when our runners carried ours to Ben More summit, we magically got to the top 5 apparently.
It was great fun, if hard work. Now my hands have think skin from oar handles, and the rest of my skin is thick from ignoring the comments of competitors!
Geoff.
"Contender" Rival 32: Roseneath in winter, Mooring off Gourock in summer.

Capncol
Midshipman
Boat Type: HR34

Postby Capncol » Tue May 28, 2019 7:31 pm

Having lurked in the bushes reading Blue Moment posts for while now, and having just done our first SIPR it’s time to expose ourselves! As Capitaine of the vessel Hero we found ourselves doing battle with Sarah several times but our runners showed they could row as well and we managed to find some wind at the end. It was all great fun. Thanks and best wishes to all who organised and took part. Capncol

Shuggy
Old Salt
Boat Type: Nic 43

Postby Shuggy » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:19 pm

Capncol wrote:Having lurked in the bushes reading Blue Moment posts for while now, and having just done our first SIPR it’s time to expose ourselves! As Capitaine of the vessel Hero we found ourselves doing battle with Sarah several times but our runners showed they could row as well and we managed to find some wind at the end. It was all great fun. Thanks and best wishes to all who organised and took part. Capncol

I’ve just seen this... sorry not to have met you. We made the wrong call with the wind on the last leg so you shot past us after our duel in the bay at Lamlash!
---
Shuggy

Return to “Shooting the breeze”