Sad coincidence?

Forum for general cruising topics
cpedw
Old Salt
Boat Type: Nordship 35DS

Sad coincidence?

Postby cpedw » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:07 pm

You can tell it's "avoid antifouling at all costs" time when I study the Deaths column of the Oban Times. Last Thursday's headlined with Nancy Black's death at 91. She founded, but hasn't run for a long time, the now-defunct chandlery in Oban.

Further down the page the death is announced of Anne "Cookie" Flavell who ran Seafare in Tobermory. I wouldn't have thought she was very old, in my terms anyway; the announcement in the paper doesn't say how old she was.

I hadn't noticed before the unusual coincidence of 2 female chandlers only 30 miles apart.

Derek

DaveS
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Seastream 34

Re: Sad coincidence?

Postby DaveS » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:33 pm

Sad to hear that. O tempori o mortes and all that.

DaveS
Yellow Admiral

Postby DaveS » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:35 pm

Sad to hear that. O tempori o mortes and all that.

marisca
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Contessa 32

Postby marisca » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:54 pm

The news of Cookie's death is indeed sad. I feel grateful for the help and support I received from her over many years. RIP

Alan_D
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Westerly Konsort

Postby Alan_D » Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:11 am

DaveS wrote:Sad to hear that. O tempori o mortes and all that.

Your sentiments are laudable but your Latin is suspect.

Cicero's often-quoted words "O tempora, o mores." mean "O the times! O the customs!", or more idiomatically "What times! What customs!" and have nothing to do with mortality.
You might have been better to quote Horace, "Eheu fugaces … labuntur anni." "Alas, the fleeting years glide swiftly by."

DaveS
Yellow Admiral

Postby DaveS » Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:06 am

Alan_D wrote:
DaveS wrote:Sad to hear that. O tempori o mortes and all that.

Your sentiments are laudable but your Latin is suspect.

Cicero's often-quoted words "O tempora, o mores." mean "O the times! O the customs!", or more idiomatically "What times! What customs!" and have nothing to do with mortality.
You might have been better to quote Horace, "Eheu fugaces … labuntur anni." "Alas, the fleeting years glide swiftly by."

A really shouldna hae tried the Latin. It's no jist suspect, but richt keech. When I gied up the Latin at the end o ma seccant year at the big schail in 1966 a goat a final exam mark o 2% ... :oops:

wully
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: sailie boatie

Postby wully » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:21 pm

I have forgotten everything I didn’t learn about Latin at the zoo I was forced to waste 4 years of my life in learning very, very little about anything at all worthwhile.

(I know the above will not come as any surprise to you)

ash
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Moody 346

Postby ash » Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:20 am

DaveS wrote:
A really shouldna hae tried the Latin. It's no jist suspect, but richt keech. When I gied up the Latin at the end o ma seccant year at the big schail in 1966 a goat a final exam mark o 2% ... :oops:

I did well enough in my 11plus exam to be in the top level of class at Banff Academy, studying 2 languages.
After 2 years of struggle with a language which had 6 versions of a verb, and where the verb came at the end of the sentence, I dropped Latin after a test when I scored 11%.
I was allowed to take up the various Technical Subjects, but had to catch up on the 2 years that I had missed. Not the best start for someone who eventually became a Marine Mechanical Engineer Cadet.

Ash
"This is a sailing Forum"
Albin Vega "Mistral" is now sold

Alan_D
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Westerly Konsort

Postby Alan_D » Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:35 am

DaveS wrote:A really shouldna hae tried the Latin. It's no jist suspect, but richt keech. When I gied up the Latin at the end o ma seccant year at the big schail in 1966 a goat a final exam mark o 2% ... :oops:

I originally wrote "... but your Latin is sh1te", but changed it before I posted in case I hurt your feelings. It seems as though I needn't have worried, although the sweary-filter changes it to scottish excrement (which I think sounds worse).

lady_stormrider
Sailing Widow
Boat Type: Jeanneau Espace 1000

Postby lady_stormrider » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:35 pm

At 3rd year at my school I struggled with English, French, German and Latin. German was the most technically difficult as it has male, female and neutral verbs
Became a full-time sailor at the end of May

cpedw
Old Salt
Boat Type: Nordship 35DS

Postby cpedw » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:35 am

lady_stormrider wrote:At 3rd year at my school I struggled with English, French, German and Latin. German was the most technically difficult as it has male, female and neutral verbs

Are those not the nouns. And doesn't Latin do the same, only differently?

Derek (O level French, Latin [German failed])

Telo
Admiral of the Red
Boat Type: Vancouver 34 Pilot

Postby Telo » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:54 pm

cpedw wrote:Further down the page the death is announced of Anne "Cookie" Flavell who ran Seafare in Tobermory. I wouldn't have thought she was very old, in my terms anyway; the announcement in the paper doesn't say how old she was.

Bumped into Jim Traynor in the yard the other day who said that Cookie was in her mid 60s. Very sad indeed.

lady_stormrider
Sailing Widow
Boat Type: Jeanneau Espace 1000

Postby lady_stormrider » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:32 pm

We've been in Seafare almost every time we visit Tobers. A lovely old shop and as a Mistress Mariner it is my second favourite shop after the chocolate shop.
Became a full-time sailor at the end of May

BlowingOldBoots
Old Salt
Boat Type: Rival 41C

Postby BlowingOldBoots » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:07 pm

It is a sign of the sailing times and perhaps not so much a coincidence as these established enterprises that satisfied a demand from Scottish yachting through the halcyon years. There is a sea change going on in sailing, underway now for some time. It's an old persons pastime, still expensive but more importantly a big commitment that folks who can't even countenance settling down anywhere will never take part in. The baby boomers who enjoyed outstanding access to wealth and could aspire to the exciting world of yacht cruising and racing have retired a while ago and are shuffling towards the end of this mortal coil, their children have other priorities and their grandchildren simply will never have the stability in career required for yachting in a world where yachting is not supported at grass roots level. The RYA have zero involvement in schools sailing and the days of subsidised school outdoor education programmes are long gone. A perfect storm of circumstances has consigned yacht ownership and even chartering in Scotland to the dustbin.

So, no, it's not a coincidence that two woman who had the foresight to run chandleries through this period of yachting have come to the end of their lives. I think their work over time reflects the growth and decline of the past time / sport.

RIP.
BlowingOldBoots

What time does the 24hour garage close?
http://www.rivalowners.org.uk

Return to “Shooting the breeze”