Summer Passage Plan

Forum for general cruising topics
moomba
Able Seaman
Boat Type: 42ft moody ketch

Summer Passage Plan

Postby moomba » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:38 pm

Hi all our summer sailing plan is to head to Stornaway from Ardrossan for the Hebcelt Festival , looking for a route and any sailing plans others have done , good places to stop , the best place to cross the Minch , etc, the trip is around 4 weeks for there and Back, but there is no urgency in the time give or take a few days.
Also places to avoid , i.e might get a bit hairy, going with my young one and the dogs this trip and maybe some other land lubbers who will jump on at certain points, and go green on a ferry.
thanks for any input

Corona
Able Seaman
Boat Type: Moody S31

Re: Summer Passage Plan

Postby Corona » Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:16 pm

Canna, Dunvegan (Stein) Stornaway.
But with all that time to spare, Tob. Tiree, Gunna Sound, Barra, then wander north along the E. coat of the Long Isle at your own pace.
Sheltered route via Tob. Kyle of Loch Alsh, the Inner Sound to Gairloch Or Loch Inver.
Out one way, back the other, hundreds of suitable anchorages and even some harbours with moorings and pontoons.

moomba
Able Seaman

Postby moomba » Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:24 pm

Thanks for the input , I was just watching a video of Canna before I saw you post and was inspired, and one of the Dogs is called CANNA big german Shepard Collie Cross

Would one go via the canal or the round Kintyre, for some this will be their first trip , I have been around a few times , one I would like to forget :lol:
Just concerned about there sea legs , but then you miss out on Islay and that side of the west Coast,
Or the best way is just head for the canal and thank my lucky stars.
I appreciate it is weather dependent and hitting it at the right time is it really worth it.

Mavanier
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Albin Vega, Wayfarer, Graduate

Postby Mavanier » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:41 pm

Canal is a personal choice, I found it a bit dull myself, but could be friendlier for new crew and dogs. Assuming it is in operation this year!
Don't get too hung up about particular destinations, it's all good so just arm yourself with the pilot books and the invaluable Hamish Haswell Smith's 'The Scottish Islands'.

IMHO, if you want to make life easy, pick your moment to cross to the Outer Islands, and then you can work your way up the chain in almost any weather, making short hops between anchorages. You are absolutely spoiled for choice for deserted and well protected anchorages all the way up the east side of the islands. With nobody else around, it's very dog friendly. It's our local cruising ground that we visit every year and we have never dropped the hook in the same anchorage twice- there's always been a new one to explore.
This of course assumes that you are OK with being pretty much off grid, although there are an increasing number of facilities with pontoons now.

We may well see you in Stornoway ourselves, we try to make it every year but the last two years have been unable, so we are determined to try harder.

moomba
Able Seaman

Postby moomba » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:51 pm

Brilliant thank you for the info sitting down with the good lady with the map out and will probably go with your suggestions of heading straight over and sailing up the East Coast
No problems with off grid , the more isolated the better , dogs can run children can scream with delight Mum and dad can get some rest :D
thanks again

mm5aho
Old Salt
Boat Type: Rival 32

Postby mm5aho » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:18 pm

Hyskeir Light is an interesting place to stop briefly on the way, in good weather.
Geoff.
"Contender" Rival 32: Roseneath this winter, Gourock in summer.

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Postby Nick » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:12 am

July can be very mixed weather-wise. Possible 'easy' routes in short stages if you are held up by weather:

Tobermory, Mallaig, Kyle, then Gairloch to wait for suitable weather for a Minch crossing

Tobermory, Mallaig, Rona, Loch Shell

Tobermory, Canna, Loch Harport, Loch Shell

or Canna, Lochmaddy, Scalpay . . .

or if you want to explore more of the Outer Isles and there is going to be plenty of S in the wind then from Canna you can head for Castlebay and work your way up. Or split the difference and head from Canna to Lochboisedale

Best to keep it flexible and watch the forecast.
- Nick 8)

moomba
Able Seaman

Postby moomba » Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:41 pm

Thanks all , looking at Heading over to Canna and then looking at the weather , for either heading straight over and then heading North up the Coast . or heading over the Skye.

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Postby Nick » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:16 pm

moomba wrote:Thanks all , looking at Heading over to Canna and then looking at the weather , for either heading straight over and then heading North up the Coast . or heading over the Skye.

Canna is completely sheltered, and if you can tackle the kelp there is still room to anchor in the middle of the moorings. it;s a lovely place to take a wee break or wait on weather.
- Nick 8)

pagoda
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Jeanneau 42iPerformance

Postby pagoda » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:25 pm

moomba wrote:Thanks all , looking at Heading over to Canna and then looking at the weather , for either heading straight over and then heading North up the Coast . or heading over the Skye.

We did a lot of that about 5 years ago, MOK, Gigha- Black Isles, west round Mull, Bunessan, Coll, wait on weather!, then Barra direct, explore, up East of the Uists to Loch Maddy eventually , back over to Skye (Stein), Loch Harport Carbost, Loch Brittle,Rum, Tobers, Pulld. and south back to the Clyde via Islay/MOK.
Lots of choices. Slightly fewer if you need to get dogs ashore regularly? Well worth doing if you have no real time constraints. :)

wully
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: sailie boatie

Postby wully » Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:54 pm

Our summer cruise has been planned out in some detail, I’ve written it out for youse in case someone want to copy it.

“Depart Ardfern early May. Return sometime in August”

Return to “Shooting the breeze”