Brokers- perhaps not a total waste of time after all

Forum for general cruising topics
Mavanier
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Albin Vega, Wayfarer, Graduate

Brokers- perhaps not a total waste of time after all

Postby Mavanier » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:09 pm

Just been to view a boat and was quite taken aback to meet a broker who was genuinely well informed and helpful.
Being at the younger end of the boating demographic I do sometimes wonder if brokers think that we are time wasting tyre-kickers with a dream in our heads and little money to back it up. So it was nice to be treated as potentially serious buyers rather than being patronised.
Anyway, I'm not on commission but seeing as the chap is new to the game, I just wanted to give a shout out to Mark Cameron- good luck to him.
I shall refrain from naming the previous broker we had dealings with... leave that up to your good selves to try and guess...

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Re: Brokers- perhaps not a total waste of time after all

Postby Nick » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:26 pm

I've seen a boat with Mark Cameron Yachts that I want . . .

https://www.mcyachts.co.uk/boats-for-sale/rustler-44/1616498/

But it would sadly definitely be a tyre-kicking exercise.

You looking at the Sealord?
- Nick 8)

Mavanier
Master Mariner

Postby Mavanier » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:09 pm

Yes we saw her this morning. We've already viewed the ex Alba one in Dunstaffnage, but they didn't want to shift on price by very much at all and she is pretty bare in terms of kit.
The one in Ardfern is better equipped and seems to have fewer deck leaks, but the elephant in the room is the hectare of teak that is at the end of its life.

aquaplane
Admiral of the White Rose
Boat Type: Jeanneau Espace

Postby aquaplane » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:25 am

When we were looking for a boat on the west coast I went and asked in a marina between Ardfern and Oban what they had for a £10,000 budget. "Oh you want a fixer upper do you, we don't have anything like that". I got a well equipped, sailable Centaur for £6000. But not on the West Coast.

I have absolutely no experience of teak decks, but every time I see posts about them I'm glad I don't have them.

I realise I'm bone idle and only do safety/essential stuff and not cosmetic stuff, I put teak decks firmly in the nice to have cosmetic category. Maybe I'm cheap, but I'm poor too so I'll cope with that.

They look good just like Swedish boats look good, but I wouldn't like the upkeep to maintain then like they should be.
Seminole.
Cheers Bob.

wully
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: sailie boatie

Postby wully » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:32 pm

We went south to find our current boatie.

The Solent is a crap place to sail but great place to find and fix up a boat with so much choice in both boats and services. We saved a heap of money buying down there.

I recon over the cost of new standing rigging, saildrive service, new sprayhood and cockpit tent, gel coat tart up and polish we saved way over 3 grand on what we’d have been charged here...

Mind you I didn’t trust the broker down there as far as I could have thrown him with a broken arm..

And FWIW I’d avoid teak decks. Horrendous cost to replace.

Mavanier
Master Mariner

Postby Mavanier » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:39 pm

One more boat to see tomorrow, and that'll be five in total for this long weekend. Could end up paralysed by indecision- no obvious stand out winner from them.
The most expensive boat, which was really over budget to start with, turns out to have major defects- to the point where you couldn't actually launch her as-is.
It's looking like a straight fight between a Moody 39 and either of the Sealords. Tbh both seem absolutely enormous and I'm starting to wonder if we could not get by with something a touch smaller.
I think the Sealord is maybe the better boat, at least in terms of sailing ability, but the Moody is much better cared for and not so much of a project- despite its greater age.
Might have to go and join both owners associations at this rate...

wully
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: sailie boatie

Postby wully » Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:16 pm

Moody owners is a good resource.

I’m on my second Moody and really like this one, a ‘98 36 CC.

But if I was choosing between the 39 and a Sealord I’d be going for the westerly..

Mavanier
Master Mariner

Postby Mavanier » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:25 pm

Well we are proceeding to survey on the Moody. Exciting times!
It really is a case of picking the boat that is in the best condition, I think. The Sealord has that awful teak deck to contend with, I just couldn't face a project of that scale.
The Moody is not the glamorous option (formica interior, anyone?) but the owner has clearly spent money on the important stuff and she offers a ready to sail package at a decent price. Oh and did I mention I have been in cathedrals that were smaller.

Aja
Old Salt
Boat Type: Moody 346

Postby Aja » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:36 pm

I would be happy with both the Westerly or the Moody. For me a no-brainier would be a tired or original teak deck.

Replacement on either would be in the region of £20k or £19k if you did it yourself.

Enjoy the boat and go sailing whichever one you choose.

Donald

Return to “Shooting the breeze”