Antares charts

Forum for general cruising topics
wully
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: sailie boatie

Re: Antares charts

Postby wully » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:22 am

mm5aho wrote:I use Seaclear.

That only works with windoze...otherwise I’d take a look.

I’ve got Antaries working on my Aye-pad which is in a Lifeproof case and is clamped to a Ram Mount under the sprayhood where it is both out the way and easily visible from the helm. It can also be wirelessly linked to the Raymarine plotter at the chart table.

mm5aho
Old Salt
Boat Type: Rival 32

Postby mm5aho » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:55 pm

For this season coming I just acquired a new toy, tablet running Marine Navigator on Android. I have yet to experiment with integrating Antares.
Geoff.
"Contender" Rival 32: Roseneath this winter, Gourock in summer.

SteveN
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Minster 37

Postby SteveN » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:17 pm

mm5aho wrote:For this season coming I just acquired a new toy, tablet running Marine Navigator on Android. I have yet to experiment with integrating Antares.

Marine Navigator with VMH and Antares charts is a combinations that's hard to beat. I can't think of a single improvement that could be made to the App which is robust and logical in its operation. As a software engineer myself I can tell that it's a really well-written bit of software just from using it.

My tip for seamless integration of VMH and Antares is to install one chartset in device memory and the other on the SD card which keeps them apart for easy updating in the future. If you then use a common name for both chartsets (e.g. rename the 'Antares-2019' directory to whatever name is being used by the VMH chartset for its directory on the other media) then the App will automatically read and treat both chartsets as one, combining them and scrolling/panning/zooming seamlessly between them.

Corona
Able Seaman
Boat Type: Moody S31

Postby Corona » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:54 pm

About ten years ago I was looking for a particular type of adhesive on YBW, this bloke calling himself 'Wully' turned up at my door with a spraycan of just the sticky stuff I needed, gratis, would accept no payment. Before he left he whipped out his Ipad to introduce me to Antares charts and I have been using them ever since. I have them on a laptop with the Memory Map package, there is also a copy on the wifes tablet. I have used Meridian Seatrak for all my day to day navigation for donkeys years and have tried hard to persuade them to integrate Antares but it is clearly not going to happen. The Meridian Admiralty chart package( they offered Imray as an option) is the same as Memory Map but it works and with an up to date subscription you get live tidal heights and streams. Memory Map is crude and a pain to use and this is exacerbated when I switch over to get access to Antares.

So Wully's missionary work has found one convert and after a bit of time I think it is time I expressed my gratitude.

wully
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: sailie boatie

Postby wully » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:45 pm

I’m off the glue now..

Although the whisky is more expensive it is more socially acceptable.

Return to “Shooting the breeze”