Will there be a wake?

Forum for general cruising topics
marisca
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Contessa 32

Will there be a wake?

Postby marisca » Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:56 pm

Along with the rest of you I received Nick's threat of closure today. Not that his dates make any sense - how pissed was he? - but the gist is probably one month to demonstrate how much we need these fora (and, by association, him). The idea that 4 of us would have no way of arranging a drink at yuletide is too abhorrent to contemplate so to borrow from Peter Pan, the panto, we must all clap our hands and shout "I believe!" and post some drivel. It can't be worse than TOP.

claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Re: Will there be a wake?

Postby claymore » Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:24 pm

I do hope there won't be any need for a wake as I hope this website lives and breathes for a good deal longer yet.
I see it as a place of peace - certainly when compared with TOP

I'm troubled to read Nick describe his future in terms of 'declining years' - perhaps you are correct and drink had been taken but 'advancing' is always a more preferable term, I think.
All this talk of it taking him time to maintain the site is also a bit of a quandary - If the time he spends on 'maintaining the site' is time when he isn't posting his quarrelsome drivel on TOP - then surely that is time well spent.

Finally - in terms of taking it over - well if it comes to that, perhaps a breakdown of what is involved might be an advantage in order that informed choices and decisions might be made - beginning to sound like a Brexit thread.
Happy New Year to all
Fondest
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

Shuggy
Old Salt
Boat Type: Nic 43

Postby Shuggy » Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:29 am

I enjoy posting here from time to time and have met some great peeps. I guess that puts me in the 40 - or 20. I understand that maintaining something like this might be a bit of a pain, so I will try to post more often. Happy New Year all. Shuggingtons!
---
Shuggy

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Postby Nick » Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:52 am

Date was a screw-up, I meant Dec 31st 2019, a year from now. Drink had not been taken, I think that was the problem. Now rectified.

I am happy to keep the forum going if it is to be used - but it needs around 100 regular contributors - all sailors - to be worth doing so.

It's running an outdated version of PHPbb3, updates take a fair bit of time, pruning spammy/obsolete users takes time, and ultimately I would like to transfer it to another forum software, probably BBPress or another Wordpress based forum. This will all be done as and when posting picks up to a viable level.

(Or not as the case may be).

As for the main site - it's a huge repository of knowledge, but a lot of the directory links are out of date and the whole sites needs a new mobile friendly format. It's a huge task to transfer it all to WordPress, and one which offers no financial reward that I can see, and frankly I would rather go sailing. I would rather hand the site on to someone else who has more time, more ambition, more vision.

So - if no-one picks up the gauntlet then I will probably transfer the yarns, articles, sea poetry and downloads section to a barebones WP framework later in the year and scrap the rest.

That's my thoughts, let's hear yours.
- Nick 8)

claymore
Admiral of the Green

Postby claymore » Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:10 am

I think you've heard from 3 of us so why not target a few of the lazy auld sods who haven't responded - Is Telo's airse in tatters wi sittin'oan ra fence?
Wully is presently overcome with the drink so another week or two and he should be dry again, then there's that bespectacled we chappie, the Silver tongued Silkingtons.

Why does it need a hundred contributors?
Regards
Claymore

wully
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: sailie boatie

Postby wully » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:39 am

Just logged in again - as the Aye-Pad keeps getting kicked oot...

I like the snow BTW.

BlowingOldBoots
Old Salt
Boat Type: Rival 41C

Postby BlowingOldBoots » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:25 am

Facebook is getting used more and more and I suspect for the reasons you suggest Webby, the hassle of maintaining a forum. My cousin has a Trident 24 and they dropped their forum for FaceBook, likewise the Rival Owners Association, although they still maintain their forum. It is easier and faster to get a reply on Facebook to a query and pictures can be posted as well. I'll try and use the site a bit more but I sympathise with you having all the overhead for no return and I could not blame you for dropping it.
BlowingOldBoots

What time does the 24hour garage close?
http://www.rivalowners.org.uk

Nick
Admiral of the Blue

Postby Nick » Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:24 pm

better quarellsome drivel than drivelsome drivel for drivel's sake . . . .
- Nick 8)

marisca
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Contessa 32

Postby marisca » Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:52 pm

Nick wrote:better quarellsome drivel than drivelsome drivel for drivel's sake . . . .

I thought you were trying to encourage postings to this site?

Nick
Admiral of the Blue

Postby Nick » Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:57 pm

marisca wrote:
Nick wrote:better quarellsome drivel than drivelsome drivel for drivel's sake . . . .

I thought you were trying to encourage postings to this site?

I still harbour a vague hope that it might become a sailing forum again instead of a vehicle for geriatric whimsy and niggling the proprietor.

It has a year's grace. Or possibly less if I find a buyer.
- Nick 8)

lady_stormrider
Sailing Widow
Boat Type: Jeanneau Espace 1000

Postby lady_stormrider » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:12 pm

I would have thought that a lot of the data transfer work could be done during winter months.
Became a full-time sailor at the end of May

Nick
Admiral of the Blue

Postby Nick » Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:59 am

lady_stormrider wrote:I would have thought that a lot of the data transfer work could be done during winter months.

The plan is to be sailing Avy-J in the Canaries in the Winter!
- Nick 8)

Jonas
Able Seaman
Boat Type: Konsort

Postby Jonas » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:14 am

"... a few of the lazy auld sods who haven't responded..."
I resemble that remark.

claymore
Admiral of the Green

Postby claymore » Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:54 pm

xxx
Regards
Claymore

Nick
Admiral of the Blue

Postby Nick » Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:26 pm

I have decided to put the main website up for sale as none of yous are interested in keeping it going as a free sailing resource. This would give me the encouragement to keep the forum going.

The main site has been up there for so long it has over 16,000 Google backlinks, so it is worth a bit to someone who wants to take advantage of that. If it does not sell then at the end of the year I will rescue the most interesting bits of content and let the rest slide gracefully into oblivion.

The site would suit a sailing-related business who could use it to promote their existing services.
- Nick 8)

Return to “Shooting the breeze”