Review of 2018

Forum for general cruising topics
Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Review of 2018

Postby Nick » Mon Dec 24, 2018 6:20 pm

All in all, a much better sailing year than last year, when we spent just 3 nights aboard Fairwinds.

We had a 3 day antifouling cruise in late April to Loch Melfort to dry out then Ardnamir and Loch Craignish.

Late May/early June saw us head to Rathlin for the Maritime Festival via Port Ellen - fabulous Summer weather, some decent sailing and good craik. We were away two weeks.

Late August/early September a two and a half week cruise on the West Coast with some good strong wind sailing - particularly memorable was the run to Portree from Loch Kishorn where the third reef was required for the first time since crossing Biscay in 2007, and a fabulous high speed downwind run goosewinged with the Navik steering from Canna to Mallaig.

Then was just one short bit of paid sailing this year, a 3-day skippered charter for Alba that turned out to be a 3-boat stag party. Back sailing Chantilly, a lovely well-mannered and fun to sail 42ft Sun Oddyssey.

An end-of-season (or so we thought) sail to Jura for the music festival at the end of September completed our year on Fairwinds, but then there was a surprise - two weeks in Greece, cruising the Ionian from Corfu to Kalamata via a variety of fascinating islands and towns. First week was as crew on a Bav 46, then week two I was skippering a Sun Oddyssey 33. More strong wind sailing that week, but in shorts with lunchtime swim stops!

Just been out to Fairwinds today to check her out and do a bit of work on the gas system.

Next year's plans - assuming she is ready in time - include a Spring sail to the Algarve or further on Avy-J, our Morgan Giles 30, then fly back to Scotland to head North in Fairwinds and maybe across to Norway before returning to the Algarve in the Autumn to take Avy-J to the Canaries, where we hope to spend most of the Winter.

It's a good plan, but only a plan - a lot needs to happen to make it happen. I am hoping next year's report will include more sailing to more places.

Yourselves?
- Nick 8)

BlowingOldBoots
Old Salt
Boat Type: Rival 41C

Re: Review of 2018

Postby BlowingOldBoots » Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:25 am

A good year for me in the context that the refit is now complete and my working schedule is hectic; I just made the effort Nothing fancy just local sailing between Loch Aline, Craighouse, Ardfern and Crinan. I am out again this Friday with friends.

2019 will see me sailing further and possibly one months work as a research base. Th plan is to settle into the boat and get her set up they way I want, stores and such like.

By the way I am experiencing a lot of latency when using this website. My internet speed is fast at 28/7 DL/UL speeds. Not experiencing that with other sites.
BlowingOldBoots

What time does the 24hour garage close?
http://www.rivalowners.org.uk

BlowingOldBoots
Old Salt

Postby BlowingOldBoots » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:53 pm

What will likely be the last sail of the year today. Headed down form Craobh to Carsaig Bay and back to Craobh. Great weather, sunny all day, WSW to W 15kts, no rain at all. With the tide we achieved 8.9 kts over the ground and 6.5kts through the water mostly reaching or fine reaching but on the way back the wind dropped off and we motored home. A fine way to spend a day between Christmas and New Year.

BlowingOldBoots

BlowingOldBoots
Old Salt

Postby BlowingOldBoots » Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:02 pm

BlowingOldBoots wrote: ...... By the way I am experiencing a lot of latency when using this website. My internet speed is fast at 28/7 DL/UL speeds. Not experiencing that with other sites.
BlowingOldBoots

Aros More
Midshipman
Boat Type: Endurance 37

Postby Aros More » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:21 pm

2018 was a short but good season for us. After wintering ashore in Aguadulce we continued with our exploration of the Med in late April. Heading up the coast we eventually went over to the Balearics where despite the stories of overcrowding and extortionate berths we aye found a wee corner to drop the hook or tie up. We did all the islands then over to San Carles de la Rapita for lift out. My wife loves the sunshine as I do until July when I find it fer ower warm!
I do miss the west coast and home waters but not ready to return just yet. Thanks for all your work Nick and hope the site continues.

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Postby Nick » Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:10 pm

BlowingOldBoots wrote:
BlowingOldBoots wrote: ...... By the way I am experiencing a lot of latency when using this website. My internet speed is fast at 28/7 DL/UL speeds. Not experiencing that with other sites.

Nothing untoward showing on the server.

Have uploaded your vanished FLICR pic.

Happy New Year when it comes.
- Nick 8)

lady_stormrider
Sailing Widow
Boat Type: Jeanneau Espace 1000

Postby lady_stormrider » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:25 pm

Yet another year of a couple of fortnight sails (one was in Greece) I really missed the sailing this year - however the momentous news is I am going to hand in my resignation next week to start sailing full time in May #ProjectBarra. The funny bit it I'm supposedly on an important Brexit Team.
Becoming a full-time sailor at the end of May

spuddy
Master Mariner

Postby spuddy » Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:35 pm

I'll do my bit to boost the punter count.
The medics have been at these last two years but chums have crewed to do most of the pulley haulywork
I got Meccano in my other hip and anticipated heading north after a couple of months but then got hernia and had long wait for puncture repair.
Planned a trip over to France, Belgium and Holland while they're not dishing out fines for red diesel but good friend with me had funny turn in Ramsgate. Turned out to be aftermath of compression fracture of neck from Ducati crash. He perked up but running out of time so did the hypoteneuse across the Thames EstuRy to Harwich; first time on that passage a d found it straight forward.
Not
Intend to do that Jester jaunt to Ireland next year and then nose north to finally take my current boat up to Scottish west coast

lady_stormrider
Sailing Widow

Postby lady_stormrider » Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:41 pm

France, Belgium and Holland while they're not dishing out fines for red diesel

Well, there's a whole Forum discussion right there! Red diesel after EU Exit (As I have to call it at work)

spuddy
Master Mariner

Postby spuddy » Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:16 pm

spuddy wrote:I'll do my bit to boost the punter count.
The medics have been at these last two years but chums have crewed to do most of the pulley haulywork
I got Meccano in my other hip and anticipated heading north after a couple of months but then got hernia and had long wait for puncture repair.
Planned a trip over to France, Belgium and Holland while they're not dishing out fines for red diesel but good friend with me had funny turn in Ramsgate. Turned out to be aftermath of compression fracture of neck from Ducati crash. He perked up but running out of time so did the hypoteneuse across the Thames EstuRy to Harwich; first time on that passage a d found it straight forward.

Intend to do that Jester jaunt to Ireland next year and then nose north to finally take my current boat up to Scottish west coast

BlowingOldBoots
Old Salt

Postby BlowingOldBoots » Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:00 pm

Spuddy, I don't think duplicating your own post counts towards "boost the punter count". :-)
BlowingOldBoots

lady_stormrider
Sailing Widow

Postby lady_stormrider » Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:48 pm

lady_stormrider wrote:I am going to hand in my resignation next week to start sailing full time in May #ProjectBarra. The funny bit it I'm supposedly on an important Brexit Team.

I may have posted too soon. Rumours of retirement freezes and mutiny abound now.

spuddy
Master Mariner

Postby spuddy » Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:48 am

Sorry. Sorry (repeating again; must be those radishes). I made an attempt to edit out a 'Not.

lady_stormrider
Sailing Widow

Postby lady_stormrider » Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:58 pm

I made an attempt to edit out a 'Not.

As distinct from removing a 'knot

DaveS
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Seastream 34

Postby DaveS » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:37 pm

2018 started well for me, with lots of wee jobs that have niggled for years finally getting completed. The summer cruise was good in decent weather, with the highlight being rounding Barra head and the western bird cliffs of Pabbay and Mingulay.

Then I managed to set the boat on fire. :(

The replacement arrived the week before Christmas and I'm frantically working my way through the lengthy defects list...

Return to “Shooting the breeze”