Sweeps/long oars

Forum for general cruising topics
Shuggy
Old Salt
Boat Type: Nic 43

Sweeps/long oars

Postby Shuggy » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:15 pm

We’ve decided that 2019 is race year. With 3 teenagers to keep amused (all of whom are bored of Dad’s chat) we might as well rack it up a level. I’ve bought a new spinnaker pole, having bent the old one in the Round Mull Race this year. We’re doing WHYW... maybe in white sails, but hopefully with the pink monster. We’re also doing the SIPR. I did this in 2013 and swore never to do it again, because my runnng weakness was horribly exposed. But this time I am not stepping off the boat and will let people fitter than me do the awful land based shenanigans. I’d like to be able to row, hence this post. Does anyone have a pair of sweeps we could borrow? We’re very low in the water so I reckon we can use the winches as rowlocks. Happy to pay/donate to RNLI etc.

Just put the boat to bed with winter cover on. At least I can sleep easy when it blows up now!

Thanks,
Hugh
---
Shuggy

Shuggy
Old Salt
Boat Type: Nic 43

Re: Sweeps/long oars

Postby Shuggy » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:03 am

Got some carbon fibre sweeps from Strathclyde Park. Good to go!
---
Shuggy

marisca
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Contessa 32

Postby marisca » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:29 am

Having carted 2 oars from a rowing eight and a 14' long yuloh around SIPR on a few occasions (good for 2+kts) + trying to tow or push Marisca with an Avon Redcrest (doesn't register on the log or GPS) I reached the conclusion that the anchor was the best solution. Most of the time there is tide with or agin and if there's nae wind and the tide is agin, drop the hook and feel smug as others sweat their socks off. If the tide is with, the dinghy oars as paddles are enough to keep you off the hard bits.
I'm tempted to swap my runners for a slower pair so I can get some decent kip next year!

claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Postby claymore » Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:33 pm

In 1984 the SIPR began in glassy windless conditions. We had a pair of oars, borrowed from Agecroft Rowing Club in Manchester and decided to row the Sigma 292. We led the fleet at Duart by a decent margin. The wind picked up and we watched our lead disappear as the heavier boats found enough breeze to get them going. Pacesetter was just such a boat and went from Back to Second by the time we reached Salen. We had good runners and they were up and back and we were away in 2nd to White lightning. We missed the tide at Pladda although White lightning managed to peedle through and went into an unassailable lead. The wind picked up and up and whilst we did ok - with hindsight, you cannot row for long so I would suggest don't bother
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

mm5aho
Old Salt
Boat Type: Rival 32

Postby mm5aho » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:43 pm

I made 2 oars and have used them 2 years. This first time we rowed from about Salen to Duart. 2 knots. Passed 15 boats to later see them pass us when wind got up again. NOt sure that I'll ever use them again, but they were fun to make and look nice!
Geoff.
"Contender" Rival 32: Roseneath this winter, Gourock in summer.

Return to “Shooting the breeze”