Any news from the west?

Forum for general cruising topics
BlowingOldBoots
Old Salt
Boat Type: Rival 41C

Re: Any news from the west?

Postby BlowingOldBoots » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:08 pm

aquaplane wrote:I may have said this before.
The cash/grants for the Oban transit marina was intended to get footfall in the town to spend money.
Local boats tied up with folk sat at home spending money where they would anyway isn't going to increase the local economy one jot.
The bloke at Campbeltown thought he was doing well filling the place with local boats paying for all year and optimising income for the pontoon, until he was told that's not what the pontoons were put in for.
What pisses me off is subsidies/grants going in to promote tourism and increasing local cash flow, and locals blocking places so there is no increase in cash flow.
Also filling the good anchoring spaces with fee charging moorings is offside. Croabh.
Not been out West yet, but most of the draw is the quiet anchorages, with the occasional mooring/pontoon/shop/pub combo, not no anchoring option to get to the pub/shop.
I have to pay for my mooring, other folk shouldn't be subsidised. Don't think this is the bottom line.

How can you say on one hand that you think local pontoons are for increasing footfall and on the other disparage Craobh Marina for doing the same. The bottom line is that you are entitled to use the bay for anchoring in, that has not been removed. I have spent a lot on local services at Craobh Marina, so the money comes in. I agree that local, small boats should be catered for at local moorings as well as tourists. I also think that that there should be a huge increase in pontoon type berthing where it is sensible to do so i.e. Loch Aline. Tourism provision in this country is crap, we need to offer top notch services. I propose that more want pontoons than anchoring or even moorings.
BlowingOldBoots

What time does the 24hour garage close?
http://www.rivalowners.org.uk

wully
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: sailie boatie

Postby wully » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:57 pm

aquaplane wrote:Also filling the good anchoring spaces with fee charging moorings is offside. Croabh.

What fee charging moorings in Croove?

aquaplane
Admiral of the White Rose
Boat Type: Jeanneau Espace

Postby aquaplane » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:30 pm

wully wrote:
aquaplane wrote:Also filling the good anchoring spaces with fee charging moorings is offside. Croabh.

What fee charging moorings in Croove?

It was an anchorage without anything there. It was pretty and free.

There was nothing to increase foot fall to, until someone built the marina and a "village" from nothing. It was a while ago.

I would hate to see all the sheltered anchorages developed so that the only option is marina hopping.

Adding a pontoon mooring option to existing coastal community to help that community to stay viable is a good thing IMHO.
Seminole.
Cheers Bob.

Return to “Shooting the breeze”