WOULD YOU LIKE A WEEK'S FREE ACCOMMODATION IN THE CANARIES?

Forum for general cruising topics
Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

WOULD YOU LIKE A WEEK'S FREE ACCOMMODATION IN THE CANARIES?

Postby Nick » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:56 pm

We are getting ourMorgan Giles 30 Avy-J ready to sail to the Canaries at the end of the summer. We plan to leave her in the marina in San Sebastian, on La Gomera, and use her as a Winter escape.

The boat is currently in Balvicar Boatyard. There are still a lot of jobs to do, and time is running out. We could do with some skilled and unskilled help with the following:

~ Installation of new electrical wiring/switch/batteries/charger/plotter

~ Dismantling/replacing of the heads floor and the installation of new seacocks with easy access

~ Installation of deck access to new gas locker (currently under construction) and piping run to cooker

~ Installation of Navik windvane

~ Fabrication of new twin bow roller/forestay attachment plate

~ Preparation of exterior woodwork and appliaction of Woodskin coating

~ Sanding down/preparation of interior woodwork prior to varnishing

~ Preparation and painting inside saloon/forepeak lockers

There will be more but this is enough to be going on with. If you can help with any of these then we can offer you a week's free or nearly free accommodation on board. (A contribution to the marina fees of approx. £70 for the week would be appreciated)

San Sebastian is the capital of La Gomera, a beautiful island three quarters of an hour's fast ferry ride away from Los Cristianos. There is also the possibility of the boat being left in other parts of the Canaries (eg Tenerife, Gran Canaria) at some times.

The boat will sleep up to four people (five at a pinch) once completed and delivered to her new home.

PM me if you would like to help.

- Nick 8)

aquaplane
Admiral of the White Rose
Boat Type: Jeanneau Espace

Re: WOULD YOU LIKE A WEEK'S FREE ACCOMMODATION IN THE CANARIES?

Postby aquaplane » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:26 pm

Is this you?
When I saw it elsewhere I thought it was someone taking the piss.
Seminole.
Cheers Bob.

Nick
Admiral of the Blue

Postby Nick » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:15 am

aquaplane wrote:Is this you?
When I saw it elsewhere I thought it was someone taking the piss.

Yes, it's me and no, I'm not taking the piss. I thought a day's work for a week's accommodation was a reasonable deal, though it only really makes sense if you are going to be in the area.

Catherine and I stayed on a boat in San Sebastian last year and paid about E400 for the week. We had a great holiday. The idea is that friends and family will be able to use the boat, but we also hope to let it out on AirBnB some of the time to pay the marina fees.

Sick of spending Winters in Scotland, me.
- Nick 8)

aquaplane
Admiral of the White Rose
Boat Type: Jeanneau Espace

Postby aquaplane » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:59 pm

Nick wrote:I thought a day's work for a week's accommodation was a reasonable deal, though it only really makes sense if you are going to be in the area.

Sorry I miss read it, I thought it was an awful lot of work for a weeks holiday, you mean several people do a bit of work and get time in the sun for it.

After this week it's tempting.
Seminole.
Cheers Bob.

Nick
Admiral of the Blue

Postby Nick » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:05 pm

aquaplane wrote:
Nick wrote:I thought a day's work for a week's accommodation was a reasonable deal, though it only really makes sense if you are going to be in the area.

Sorry I miss read it, I thought it was an awful lot of work for a weeks holiday, you mean several people do a bit of work and get time in the sun for it.

After this week it's tempting.

Yes, I meant - for example - if one person agreed to paint the inside of all the lockers that would be worth a week's holiday. But if you want to do it all you can have six weeks and get to sail the boat while you are there . . . .

Lot of snow on the hills round here today.
- Nick 8)

Return to “Shooting the breeze”