Hatched in the Doric

Forum for general cruising topics
mm5aho
Old Salt
Boat Type: Rival 32

Hatched in the Doric

Postby mm5aho » Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:24 pm

Nice to see some Bluemoment faces in the Doric last week, and amazing what can come from those conversations...

From that evening the following plan has hatched...

Round Rockall Rival Rally.
The Rival is one of the early fibreglass boats from the 1970s, designed by Peter Brett. They are known for seaworthiness more than for speed! We are now three Rivals heading west to round Rockall, leaving Barra on 7th July 2018, and we're looking for more Rivals (only) to join us. Contender (Rival 32), Hirta (R34), and Paramour (R36) will meet up in Castlebay Barra, then head out to Rockall, returning to Stornoway. We're heading to Barra from various locations, Gourock, Oban, & Loch Sunnart, and will go various ways after Stornoway, but will cruise in company (it's not a race!) to Rockall. From Castlebay to Stornoway via Rockall (rounding the Western Isles, St Kilda, Flannans etc) is about 500 miles. We'd love for more Rivals (only Rivals please) to join us. Maybe an R41 would nearly complete the family? Contender and Hirta will be seeking sponsorship closer to the time, with proceeds towards two sailing charities . We'd love for there to be an even bigger fleet of Rivals. From Gourock this is a round trip of about 1000 miles. There might be a crew place or two if you can't find a Rival to sail. Its said that more people have landed on the moon than on Rockall. We're not landing, but an orbit round will be a lot of fun, and a great experience.
Geoff.
"Contender" Rival 32: Roseneath this winter, Gourock in summer.

Ocklepoint
Old Salt
Boat Type: Rival 34, a wee beauty
Location: Me, Edinburgh: Boats, Edinburgh, Arisaig and Kilmory

Re: Hatched in the Doric

Postby Ocklepoint » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:24 pm

Come on Rival sailors: your boat can do it. So can you. Come and join us. First round in Stormyway is on me.

Paul
R34 Hirta

marisca
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Contessa 32

Postby marisca » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:12 pm

I'm surprised the delectable Dr Liz has not volunteered Pilgrim for the trip. And then there's Ken who must be kicking himself that he no longer has the Green Behemoth.

mm5aho
Old Salt
Boat Type: Rival 32

Postby mm5aho » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:16 pm

Re Pilgrim: I wish they will come.
Geoff.
"Contender" Rival 32: Roseneath this winter, Gourock in summer.

Return to “Shooting the breeze”