Edinburgh’s new luxury marina

Forum for general cruising topics
ParaHandy
Old Salt

Edinburgh’s new luxury marina

Postby ParaHandy » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:28 am

I presume that means the lavvy won’t be a portaloo.

Are any of you rushing to book yer place amongst edinburgh’s high end? Is this not planned to be on the sight of Nicola’s windmill factory which never came about?

Some golfers I know describe a difficult 5 foot putt as a Nicola. Good tae see we’ve nae lost oor sense of humour, aye ....

pagoda
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Jeanneau 42iPerformance

Re: Edinburgh’s new luxury marina

Postby pagoda » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:00 pm

It's good to see some interest in marine based business.....

But why do they think pitching it "high end" will work? How will the glorious cruising waters of the North Sea attract the high rollers? If they start off with basic facilities and then improve them as business picks up - that might get a few refugees from Port Edgar? If they pitch the prices high end from the start it will be rather a slow start..
While we live by the North Sea, I'm not about to move the boat round here. I worked in the North Sea for 38years, I've sailed across 3 times. It isn't a very friendly bit of water for sailors.

BlowingOldBoots
Old Salt
Boat Type: Rival 41C

Postby BlowingOldBoots » Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:23 pm

pagoda wrote:It's good to see some interest in marine based business.....

But why do they think pitching it "high end" will work? How will the glorious cruising waters of the North Sea attract the high rollers? If they start off with basic facilities and then improve them as business picks up - that might get a few refugees from Port Edgar? If they pitch the prices high end from the start it will be rather a slow start..
While we live by the North Sea, I'm not about to move the boat round here. I worked in the North Sea for 38years, I've sailed across 3 times. It isn't a very friendly bit of water for sailors.

Exactly. They should be pricing to get business and capture some of the limited market share, later they can increase costs to reflect the clientele they wish. It sounds like another Croabh Haven, years of bankrupts and sellers and then eventually a working marina is established at a price which reflects demand.
BlowingOldBoots

What time does the 24hour garage close?
http://www.rivalowners.org.uk

Ocklepoint
Old Salt
Boat Type: Rival 34, a wee beauty
Location: Me, Edinburgh: Boats, Edinburgh, Arisaig and Kilmory

Postby Ocklepoint » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:20 pm

As a very Corinthian denizen of the Middle Pier (Granton for those that don't know) I welcome any development to our lamentable facilities.

Should it ever come to pass, and there have been multiple metropolitan marinas mooted in the past, it would offer more choice to Edinburgh boaters.

Like others I am very dubious about the Forth supporting another full service commercial marina. Expensive marinas in the UK are full of shiney 40 foot boats: there are very few such vessels between the Tyne and Wick. Very very few of the yachts in the Forth are worth more than a very small oldish sixth hand car.

Having been involved in Granton harbour politics I could go on............................

pagoda
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Jeanneau 42iPerformance

Postby pagoda » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:36 pm

And Dundee is talking seriously about converting an old dock... so more East coast potential. It's a heck of a haul from Dundee to Peterhead. Why Montrose won't get involved I do not know? Plenty of lucrative oilfield traffic?

Return to “Shooting the breeze”