Change of boat

Forum for general cruising topics
Fingal
Old Salt
Boat Type: Westerly Fulmar 32

Change of boat

Postby Fingal » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:55 pm

Since I am no longer burdened by either work or a Rival 38, as of Tuesday I will be the sole owner of a very nice 'new' boat. Those of an ornithologically literate persuasion will immediately infer, from my new avatar, the character and origins of said magnificent vessel. My username should also change ere long. She will be at Port Ed on the Forth for the coming year for fettling and general faffing around close to home, moving to the west for 2019 all being well.
Ken
Fulmar 32 Fingal

wully
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: sailie boatie

Re: Change of boat

Postby wully » Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:52 pm

Will it be called ‘ Shy Talk’ after thon wee burd?

marisca
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Contessa 32

Postby marisca » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:42 pm

Obviously has a smelly old 2-stroke outboard - but what is the boat?

ash
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Moody 346

Postby ash » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:45 pm

wully wrote:Will it be called ‘ Shy Talk’ after thon wee burd?

Think that that name is already taken.

I would suggest "Turul"

Congratulations on the new boat.

Ash

PS Just found the brokerage specification - excellent.
"This is a sailing Forum"
Albin Vega "Mistral" is now sold

marisca
Yellow Admiral

Postby marisca » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:15 am

I see you are already seeking advice on modifications to the strings of your new vessel on TOP. I presume headlining will feature soon in your posts as will where to put the mainsheet track to avoid garroting crew during inadvertent gybes. Do enjoy your new toy, Fulmars are fine boats. Is she fin or twin?

Fingal
Old Salt

Postby Fingal » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:54 am

marisca wrote:I see you are already seeking advice on modifications to the strings of your new vessel on TOP. I presume headlining will feature soon in your posts as will where to put the mainsheet track to avoid garroting crew during inadvertent gybes. Do enjoy your new toy, Fulmars are fine boats. Is she fin or twin?

Fin keel, mainsheet track is already in the cockpit. Headlinings in some parts will need attention in due course but as I no longer have to attend the academy on a regular basis I do need something to give my days purpose.
Ken
Fulmar 32 Fingal

marisca
Yellow Admiral

Postby marisca » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:53 pm

Ken, I am reluctant to post my antediluvian thoughts on TOP as they might be taken as criticism of those who have added multiple blocks, pad-eyes, clutches and metres of string to their boats. I presume your Fulmar has the same less than optimum set up to the boat I once had a part share in, viz halyard and leech reefing lines in the cockpit with bulls-horns at the tack, thus making reefing a difficult single-handed pursuit. Instead of the complications of adding more string to the cockpit may I suggest a return to total at-the-mast reefing with a mast winch for the halyard and jammers (I'm pretty sure the spindle holes will be in the boom end fitting already) for the reefing lines. Apart from the simplicity, it makes dropping sail after mooring pick-up a dawdle. Reefing is then simply a matter of popping on the auto tiller, easing the kicker and mainsheet, hardening the topping lift (if no solid kicker) and then wandering to the mast. If getting out the cockpit to get to the mast is too daunting perhaps you should consider whether indoor bowls would not be a more suitable pursuit?

On the other hand, I do have several 20+m lengths of string going spare in the "For Sale" forum.

Telo
Admiral of the Red
Boat Type: Vancouver 34 Pilot

Postby Telo » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:14 pm

Well, if you're heading west again, I suppose that "Fulmair of Such-and-Such" would be as good a name as any. ITU already has a "Fulmair"

Fingal
Old Salt

Postby Fingal » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:29 am

Well that took a while, but eventually the webmeister has given me my new identity. Fingal will be based on the Forth this year but all being well she will be in the west for 2019. In the meantime she is having her 'professionally maintained' but deeply excentric and somewhat archaic electrical system fettled.
Ken
Fulmar 32 Fingal

mm5aho
Old Salt
Boat Type: Rival 32

Postby mm5aho » Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:52 pm

Seems that you old "burden" wants to join the Round Rockall Rival Rally. Be nice to see such a colourful boat there.
Geoff.
"Contender" Rival 32: Roseneath this winter, Gourock in summer.

Return to “Shooting the breeze”