Phone GPS in Car

Forum for general cruising topics
Pete Cooper
Old Salt
Boat Type: Micro Gem 550 Super Yacht

Phone GPS in Car

Postby Pete Cooper » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:40 am

I was out and about and was wondering if it is legal to use a smartphone as a GPS system in the car. I could set everything before setting off, and have it lying on the passenger seat and listen to the dulcet tones of whoever telling me where to go.
My concern that is that I believe it is illegal to receive any data from the phone whilst driving, and have heard of people being prosecuted for using a phone as a timepiece whilst driving.
So - phone Satnav whilst driving - legal or not?

claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Re: Phone GPS in Car

Postby claymore » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:32 am

I use my phone as a satnav because it links to the traffic and offers alternative quieter routes - I don't see how it differs from the tomtom device in that you are receiving instruction/directions so cannot see it being illegal.
I have a clippy thing that slots into the heater vent thingy and so its up in the dashboard with a magnet on the back of the phone case so it will stick. I don't have it linked to a hands free thingy so don't use the phone bit.
There - comprehensive technical explanation
Hows the Micro, Pete?
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

mm5aho
Old Salt
Boat Type: Rival 32

Re: Phone GPS in Car

Postby mm5aho » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:49 pm

Another complicated question...
It's OK to use a GPS, but not a phone while driving. But when is a phone not a phone and when a GPS not a satnav? BOther (some models anyway) can be the other device, so I suspect this would be a tricky question if brought to court.
And there are some absurd anomalies. As the holder of a ham radio ticket, I am allowed to use a handheld microphone connected to a transceiver in a car while driving. (it's quite explicit in the mobile phones in a car law). It might have originally been intended for emergency services, but I don't see how that's any safer than using a mobilephone, but its allowed.

And if all else fails there's charges like "failing to pay due attention..." and drunk in charge of a carriage" (used to do a cyclist in Manchester)
Geoff.
"Contender" Rival 32: Roseneath this winter, Gourock in summer.

Return to “Shooting the breeze”