Camping Gaz

Forum for general cruising topics
marisca
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Contessa 32

Camping Gaz

Postby marisca » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:05 pm

First a moan about the price - and, yes, I know they claim to test the bottle, filter the butane, check the valve and supply a superior product - that new plastic seal must cost a fortune - but £30+ for a wee < 2kg bottle?

Anyway, was at my local tip dumping (sorry, recycling) ancient correspondence and the bins were next to the open reject gas canister cage in which there was a large number of 904 and 907 cylinders, unfortunately without their screw caps. I had thoughts of getting a 15kg Calor cylinder (~£25) and refilling a few. Any ideas on where to source the caps?

claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Re: Camping Gaz

Postby claymore » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:00 am

I think you might find yourself on a list of terrorist subjects if you don't watch your step.....
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

marisca
Yellow Admiral

Postby marisca » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:21 am

Surely "suspects"? When I think back on the fun and games we had with various easily obtained over the counter garden chemicals and domestic substances, I wonder how we survived with all limbs and digits intact (though I know of at least 2 who bear the scars). Blowing up EIIR post boxes (not that I ever even thought of doing it - my attentions were more focused on the local rabbit warren) seems such small beer compared to today's lunacy.

claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Postby claymore » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:13 pm

My fat fingers are often spelin things wrong - 'suspects' is correct. Bonfire night used to offer a few opportunities - tying penny bangers together and throwing them at next door's dog was a favourite of mine. We never did get to like each other...
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

SteveN
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Minster 37

Postby SteveN » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:33 pm

Camping Gaz screwcaps about £4 on Ebay - I don't think there's a readily-available source.

Refilling from a Calor, or other, butane bottle is... easy (I was going to say foolproof :-) ) and does save a bob or two.
Some folk even put propane in them for a bit more wooompf, after all propane cylinder pressure is only 14x higher :shock:

DaveS
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Etap 30

Postby DaveS » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:21 pm

claymore wrote:My fat fingers are often spelin things wrong - 'suspects' is correct. Bonfire night used to offer a few opportunities - tying penny bangers together and throwing them at next door's dog was a favourite of mine. We never did get to like each other...

Ah yes, bangers...

I liked making banger guns. A length of 5/8" conduit with some dirt in one end then hammered over, tied to a stock either from an old pop gun or carved out from solid. Insert a lit 2d banger, followed by a Rowan berry. Effective range of several hundred yards.

pagoda
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Jeanneau 42iPerformance

Postby pagoda » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:22 pm

Oh yes! Bangers - and the home made mods we used to try as youngsters!
We experimented with all sorts of stuff involving nitrates of Sodium/Potassium. Chlorates ,sugar, charcoal etc/etc Wonderfully noisy and occasionally spectacular. No harm done. We blew up cow pats a few times though! And a few wasps nests.
Our parents smiled and looked the other way.
It's rather a pity this experimental chemistry performed by kids is frowned upon ?

Thread drift correction!
We moved from C Gaz > CalorButane to Calor Propane (3.9Kg) as the sensible option for Scottish weather? and purses!

Booby Trapper
Old Salt
Boat Type: Jeanneau Attalia

Postby Booby Trapper » Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:08 pm

Still £20 for a 907 gaz at my local caravan shop. If they can do it for that price we the boaters are being ripped off again.

marisca
Yellow Admiral

Postby marisca » Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:33 pm

Where is that?

Booby Trapper
Old Salt
Boat Type: Jeanneau Attalia

Postby Booby Trapper » Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:58 pm

Eglington caravans in Irvine

aquaplane
Admiral of the White Rose
Boat Type: Jeanneau Espace

Postby aquaplane » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:59 pm

I think I paid £25 for my last 907, it's gone up over the last year or so.

The distributors are supposed to stick to the official price list to maintain the monopoly but my chap charges less to have more turnover.

I'm not going to say where he is because I don't want him to loose his franchise.
Seminole.
Cheers Bob.

Telo
Admiral of the Red
Boat Type: Vancouver 34 Pilot

Postby Telo » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:55 pm

Our local cowp has a locker full of empty red propane bottles that have been dumped for recycling. Assuming that they'd be cheaper than entering new contracts with Calor Gas, I offered to buy a couple but was refused as the council couldn't take responsibility for the (very small) safety risk involved.

Telo
Admiral of the Red
Boat Type: Vancouver 34 Pilot

Postby Telo » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:08 pm

Booby Trapper wrote:Still £20 for a 907 gaz at my local caravan shop. If they can do it for that price we the boaters are being ripped off again.

I think we paid about that in the garage at Stromness during the summer. There seems to be a huge disparity in costs.

pagoda
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Jeanneau 42iPerformance

Postby pagoda » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:24 pm

Telo wrote:Our local cowp has a locker full of empty red propane bottles that have been dumped for recycling. Assuming that they'd be cheaper than entering new contracts with Calor Gas, I offered to buy a couple but was refused as the council couldn't take responsibility for the (very small) safety risk involved.

The Calor "new customer bottle deposits" are crazy. I obtained 2 x 3.9 Kg Propane bottles by asking nicely at the recycling place -used the phrase needed for a caravan. NOT boat. Quite happy to give away at my own risk... One was half full :)

Mme Telo
Able Seaman

Postby Mme Telo » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:07 pm

Telo wrote:
Booby Trapper wrote:Still £20 for a 907 gaz at my local caravan shop. If they can do it for that price we the boaters are being ripped off again.

I think we paid about that in the garage at Stromness during the summer. There seems to be a huge disparity in costs.

No. We paid £29.99 in Stromness. In Lerwick they charge £39.

Return to “Shooting the breeze”